Hull restoration

Tom N.

I just put the first coat of Pre-kote primer on the hull of my Dolphin SR. I thought I had the hull sanded pretty well, but now I see places I didn't sand enough! I used a Marine Tex to fill and fair the hull. Can I sand some more, through the primer and then prime again , or should I just not worry about it.
I was going to use 2 coats of primer, then Interlux Brightside
thanks

+

If you want the hull fair and smooth, then get it fair with the Marine Tex or your fairing compound of choice. SO yes, you would sand through the primer. I like EZ Fair. Then prime, do a very light sanding and apply a second primer coat if you like, then paint

Thanks! After the second coat of primer, I sand with 220 grit? Do I hand sand or use an orbital sander? Also, should I apply one coat of Brightside or two?
thanks

Thanks! After the second coat of primer, I sand with 220 grit? Do I hand sand or use an orbital sander? Also, should I apply one coat of Brightside or two?
thanks

I use 120 before and after primer. Make sure the surface is very clean by wiping it with mineral spirits. I use a dual action (RO) sander, but many folks get great results with a flexible long board. If you use the RO, go easy or you'll sand that soft primer right off. One coat of Brightside might do the trick, my boats have been about 50/50 as to whether they need a second coat. One trick to consider is to make the next coat 50/50 primer/color. You might see some areas come up after the first coat, if so you can fair them lightly, sand light with 120 or 220 and go for the second coat. Thin the Brightside with about 5% thinner, up to 10% if it is 80F or warmer, it will flow smoother. Work in sections so you keep a wet edge, once I get going I can usually cover a 12-18 inch strip at a time without the paint tacking up.

Back