Hull Repair 2003 Vanguard

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by signal charlie, Apr 13, 2015.

1. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Worked on blind patches for a 2003 Vanguard that tangled with rocks and a dock during a storm. Also waxed the deck and repainted the hull.

Attached Files:

2. signal charlie

Replaced the drain plug and faired the patched areas, big chunks with marine tex then switched to Pettit EZFair for easier sanding. Peeled off old Sunfish sticker. Sanded the hull with a DA sander, 120 grit. Sprayed the hull with Rustoleum Gloss White. Waxed the deck with 3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax.

Attached Files:

3. signal charlie

Applied new Sunfish stickers, finished fairing and applied last coats of hull paint.
    The owner picked up Crystal at the end of March and was very happy. They also left with a used boat cover and bought a new Dynamic Dolly. Crystal is back on the water!

Attached Files:

4. Headley Grange

Headley Grange Member

Thanks for posting the pictures. It's inspirational to watch the transformation of the boats back to sea-worthy condition.

• Like Like x 1
  5. signal charlie

Thanks Headley
    The Skipper says it's inspirational to sail them afterwards and hear the boats say "Thanks." And then sell them to folks who are geeked out about their "new" boat. Our favorite new Skipper was an 8 year old girl, when she came back by with her Dad after they had the boat a while we asked if she liked her boat Merci. She said yes because "I can sail it annnnnnywhere I want."
    k

• Like Like x 1
  6. tag

tag my2fish

That is a mighty fine looking picnic table as well!

7. signal charlie

Yep Tag, made it out of cypress. Funny how it ended up wide enough and sturdy enough to hold a Sunfish.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. stollie

stollie New Member

Hiya signal charlie--- how timely!

My boat, which is coming home on Sunday, is similar looking, and will need a little work, especially as it may take a while to get a trailer. Plus, the water is still cold here in NJ, so I'm not rushing to the inevitable dunking, noob that I am.

I hope to able to ask your (and everyone else's) help after I get to take some pics.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  9. jleonard99

jleonard99 Sunny Sailer

How well did the 3m fiberglass wax work?

10. signal charlie

The 3M Fiberglass Restorer Wax works great for light to heavy oxidation. The key is a Chicago Electric multi bonnet system for the lightweight WalMart 5 inch car buffer that we have, which includes an applicator pad, buffer pad, terry cloth pad and microfiber pad. They are washable as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Power-Tools-39606-8-Piece/dp/B001NPDR74

11. jleonard99

jleonard99 Sunny Sailer

Thanks I'll look into it and run by ace hardware tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the fish cleaned up this weekend.

12. signal charlie

You're welcome!

k