Hull ID number means what?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Rich B, Jul 2, 2012.

1. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Well, 1019 actually does "fit the list", because the drLaser list isn't comprehensive by any means. I understand it represents, for each year, the smallest and largest numbers known to its compiler. As some years have only a single number, it indicates that the list is based on a fairly small data set. Boats number 719 - 2099 were certainly built, either in 1971 or 72, and it's likely that Ian Bruce built more than a thousand boats before the end of that first production year.

(By the way, looking now at the drLaser list, it explains the version of the traditional list with the crazy numbers for 1971 - 76: someone tried to complete the traditional list with the drLaser numbers and got them screwed up.)

2. waldorf

waldorf New Member

laser serial no..jpg
    Here is a real weird HIN it is on a boat i just purchased... i would like to know where it was made...

laser serial no..jpg
    I know the year of the boat is 97-98 from the decal in the cockpit 164005

Thanks

3. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

I'd say it's a Chilean boat, built for the 1997 Standard and Masters Worlds in Algarrobo.

4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Wow, that goes way beyond ordinary duty :)

Thanks LaLi!

5. waldorf

waldorf New Member

This makes total sense the second owner I purchased the boat from brought the boat up to Vancouver Canada from Chile... it has Aero Cóndor decals on the sail and hulls.
    Thanks so much... Didn't know they made Lasers in South America. Thought it might be from California...

Don

6. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

You're all welcome! The "PRX" stands for Primex S.A., who used to build Lasers in Santiago de Chile.
    Production in Brazil started as early as 1974; no idea when it was moved to Chile. Primex was still listed as a manufacturer on the ILCA website about ten years ago, but not anymore. Their territory was South America minus Brazil (PSE) and Venezuela (Vanguard).

Laser building in California ended sometime in the early 1980s, probably with the breakup of the original Performance Sailcraft company.

7. waldorf

waldorf New Member

LaLi can you guess how many boats were made by Primex S.A. for the 1997 Worlds in Chile ???
    thanks again...

8. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

128 + spares.

(Source: WORLDS97 DAY 7)

9. volodar

volodar New Member

Re "1976 33426-44847" on one or more tables in your post. Just checked my hull: ZFS 33339 02 76, so <33426. Plus a label with "Laser A quality product from Performance Sailcraft Pointe-Claire Canada". Still with original sail. Given to us yesterday by our good neighbours from the beach next door. Got a chuckle after googling "33339 laser"...turns out 33339 is the zip code, in Ft Lauderdale Florida of "Laser Hair Removal".

Last edited: May 28, 2017