How To Install A Self Bailer First Time?

Macià

Dear colleagues!!:confused:
I want to install a self bailer in my laser. Until now I have just used a rubber plug in the cockpit. But new self bailers, i see they have an screw which produce a hole in the hull. I'm worry because it could cause tha water come inside the hull. Is there any recomendation to do this job?. Is it better to install just with silicon?. Which is the maximun lenght of the screw if it must installed with screw?. Thanks for your help.:confused:
Fair winds!!

It definitely should be installed with the screw and anchor to secure it. As far as the correct size, those items should have come with the bailer kit. I'm not sure of the replacement size.

Obviously the screw and anchor need to be siliconed. However, the pictures show silicon all around the edge of the bailer. Is this overkill? I've never done this on any of my boats.

Great article, Horizon. Thanks for your help.
Just a question, do you think it's a must to install the anchor?. If I don't install the anchor will it appear cracks on the grp?

Obviously the screw and anchor need to be siliconed. However, the pictures show silicon all around the edge of the bailer. Is this overkill? I've never done this on any of my boats.

I read somewhere that the silicon round the edge makes a seal and therefore the bailer more efficient - my guess - yep overkill!

You can also use the silicon to get rid of the step edge around the bailer, makes it less draggy.

You may think its overkill but most of the drag comes from little things like that. For example the bits hanging off your car like wing mirrors etc produce about 50% of the aero drag of the car considering how big your car is and how small your wing mirrors are then I reckon it's time to get the silicon out.

Great article, Horizon. Thanks for your help.
Just a question, do you think it's a must to install the anchor?. If I don't install the anchor will it appear cracks on the grp?

Use the anchor. The glass in the hull at that point is pretty thin. The anchor gives the screw more surface to hold on to.

I have found that using an overkill of silicone around the edges helps produce more suction than without. Making the water empty out a bit faster than the other way (without silicone). I did take a cloth and wipe the excess off so that it had less drag.

I have found that using an overkill of silicone around the edges helps produce more suction than without. Making the water empty out a bit faster than the other way (without silicone). I did take a cloth and wipe the excess off so that it had less drag.

I guess that would the the Bernoulli principle? I thought it was overkill, but after reading this I'm probably going to re-install my bailer with lots of silicon. And I just swapped out the O-rings.

I guess that would the the Bernoulli principle? I thought it was overkill, but after reading this I'm probably going to re-install my bailer with lots of silicon. And I just swapped out the O-rings.

What size O-rings do you use - mine have gone and I have been advised that new ones (5mm) from the nearest automotive shop is the way to go?

What size O-rings do you use - mine have gone and I have been advised that new ones (5mm) from the nearest automotive shop is the way to go?

I believe I used 7/8". That would be what, 21-22 mm? 5 mm sounds too small. But yes, you should be able to find something at an auto parts store.

I read somewhere that the silicon round the edge makes a seal and therefore the bailer more efficient - my guess - yep overkill!

OK having read the rest of this thread I'm off to Focus to buy silicone for this week-ends annual boat prep, still think it's overkill but worth it!!!

I have a new to me 1982 Laser that never appears to have had a bailer. Any tricks to the first time install? I presume I'd dry fit it, mark where the screw hits the hull, drill a hole appropriate size for the anchor and then follow the remaining instructions from James's very helpful blog. I have a slight reluctance to drill holes where there isn't an existing one without being sure it will be ok! Appreciate any help!

By the way a big thanks for the previous suggestions for updating the boat ("New guy, old Laser thread" here ) The Performance Upgrade worked very well and immensely more pleasant being able to control the lines when I want and not having them slip etc. Had one exciting "remember to tie a stopper in the main you moron" incident/capsize coming in to beach in very heavy wind - but I won't do that again!

I have a new to me 1982 Laser that never appears to have had a bailer. Any tricks to the first time install? I presume I'd dry fit it, mark where the screw hits the hull, drill a hole appropriate size for the anchor and then follow the remaining instructions from James's very helpful blog. I have a slight reluctance to drill holes where there isn't an existing one without being sure it will be ok! Appreciate any help!
---snip---

Not sure if it's a trick or not, but when I do the dry fit, I tape the bailer in place to the hull, and use the screw hole in the bailer itself as the guide for the drill bit. That ensures the hole is exactly matched up and at the right angle.

Also make sure you use good marine grade silicone - the thru hull hole is not the place to cheap out and use some cheap stuff . 3M 4200 and BoatLife Life Caulk are also acceptable IMHO.

Thanks. I was planning to use the 3M Marine Silicon that James had shown in his instructions. Good idea re drilling.

Thanks a lot, Alex/Steve.

Very useful. I didn't know there was this kind of "wiki" on the site... I can reach it with you thread, but don't ask me how to go there from the forum main page ! I looked for a way to see this Wiki from the laser forum page but no success. The nearest in this wiki's style was the FAQ but no mention of the Wiki there.

Is this a "code 18" problem ? (code 18 = the problem is at 18 inches of the screen...)

Thanks again for the thread.

Thanks a lot, Alex/Steve.

Very useful. I didn't know there was this kind of "wiki" on the site... I can reach it with you thread, but don't ask me how to go there from the forum main page ! I looked for a way to see this Wiki from the laser forum page but no success. The nearest in this wiki's style was the FAQ but no mention of the Wiki there.

Is this a "code 18" problem ? (code 18 = the problem is at 18 inches of the screen...)

Thanks again for the thread.

Bookmarked a number of years back. Otherwise have no idea how to find again

None of the links work no more... :(
I wish I could see some tutorial. I will install a bailer for the first time on a used laser I bought.

I saw on a YouTube video of bailers springs repair, that they recommend a small square seal (like a squishy sticker) to use on the bolt to prevent leaks. I don't have that. Would it be necessary?

After all I don't sail with other lasers, I just use mine as a fun toy, so my plan is to just put marine sealant all around in a generous maner. Drag would not be an issue since I don't compete or know anyone with a laser boat. I live in a Caribbean island where the only few club that I know that races laser are on the opposite side of the island 3.5hrs away which is almost 100 beach spots apart. So I just sail on my side of the islan for fun sometimes catching some weak tropical storm for good adrenaline rides.

Back