How to get money sailing

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by er111a, May 28, 2009.

1. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

I am a really good sailor and was wondering how I could get money from it

2. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Helps to be a professional, and or be sponsored. What do you define as being a good sailor?

3. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

Teaching at a sailing school is one way.

4. scars_scrapes

scars_scrapes New Member

get to know the right people. the sailmakers, the big program guys, the BN's from the big program's who can get you on a boat to get your foot in the door. have a back up plan there are a lot of really good sailors out there, to make money you need to be great.

5. Quagers

Quagers Member

Unless your some sort of prodigy pro sailing is just not an option, there are too many canditates for to few slots. In this case id say instructing or delivery crew are 2 good options.

6. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

well the school I go to we are 6th in the nation for high school sailing

7. gordo

gordo New Member

one way would be to stop sailing and sell all your stuff and marvel over the money you got and just thing about the money you saved. but if thats not an option then you could do what i do and coach but in all reality sailing really isnt a sport where you break the bank unless you are one of a select few. sailing at a high level is alot more likely to send you into debt

8. scars_scrapes

scars_scrapes New Member

go to a reputible sailing college and see where you shake out, more importantly get your degree more than likely you will need it.

9. Kratos

Kratos Member

Lol.

That's it.

6th...

Highschool...

10. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

are you making fun of me? high school sailing is some of the most hardest sailing the whole usa, we young adults are the future of sailing

11. Kratos

Kratos Member

I guess I am, a little, yeah.

"Most hardest"

I know this isn't a grammar test or anything, but I find it hard to take people seriously who make such glaring errors. I will assume English is your first language, so there's no excuse. Periods are your friend.

Anyway, I digress.

Your listen message says: "Amazing"

I hope that is not what you think of yourself. I hope you carry yourself in a manner that outwardly displays that attitude. Please don't tell me you're another young sailor in need of a slice of humble pie.

What about collegiate sailing? What about world championships? Even ISAF Grade 1 events. Establish yourself as a top dog on the national stage, develop an international resume, then maybe you can start to think about the things you mentioned in your opening posts.

Oh, I am a young adult, so that one doesn't work on me.

12. bheussler

bheussler New Member

First of all, were you even racing when your high school got sixth? I can say Severn School, my old high school, won fleet race nationals last year, but I only watched it happen from the break-wall of the Naval Academy because I was an alternate. Anyways, at team race nationals we finished 6th. This was a team I was an integral part of and we were actually disappointed with the way we finished. At no point in time did i ever think about monetizing my team's results from either national event.

If you want fast cash, get your US Sailing Level 1 Instructor certification and coach over the summer. The better of a sailor you are, the more you can potentially get paid and the more your students will like and trust you. This could mean private lessons, which can be as good as $50 an hour for someone like you. But beware, make sure you are still sailing big events and not getting caught up teaching opti kids; NAs would be a good one, Youth Champs if you have qualified, also Smythe.

Ultimately, you can get good results and show them to a college coach and perhaps they could get you some pull into a school you would otherwise not be able to go to with academics alone. Then you get a good degree.... blah blah blah

13. Kratos

Kratos Member

Also, if that is you in your avatar, you don't look too high performance.

You should try a clew tie-down.

And a real Laser sail. (With numbers too!)

And a sound/newer hull.

And new rigging.

That'll help you boost that sixth up to like a fifth, but I think you have other sailing related goals that you should focus on. The same applies to trying to make financial gains form sailing. You are not even close to being a "really god sailor".

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

With the "amazing" under your name, it would seem as if you need to be brought back into the real world a bit.

14. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

yes that is me in my avatar, but it is old I have all brand new boat now, and for the person who asked if I sailed in the nationals, yes the whole time and we crushed Severn, in fact they were not even there hahaha we beat them in the qualifiers

15. Kratos

Kratos Member

What high school?

Some how, I'm just not believing you right now.

A brand new boat won't do much for not realising you need a clew tie down to sail.

16. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

once again that photo was taken when I FIRST started to sail and if you really want to know Christchurch School

17. Kratos

Kratos Member

So, you're "amazing" now?

And are you on the Christchurch team?

What Laser regattas have you done?

18. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

I never said I was that was just something that came to mind when I signed up for this forums and yes Christchurch and what reggattas have I done. the biggest one would be orange bowl

19. Kratos

Kratos Member

You can edit it, unless I'm mistaken.

The Orange Bowl is a decent regatta, but you have a long way to go before ever worrying about financial gains.

It'll be quite the opposite.

20. er111a

er111a laser_sailer

ya I know what you mean I am sailing in bigger reggatta this summer and I am a sailing instructor