How to determine age of my laser (Europe)?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by neilpryde, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Kippen

Kippen New Member

Thank you for your help here Horizon.

/Kippen

2. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Hi,
    I have to add, that many hulls of the Laser, that are procuced at in the UK by PSE, had stamped the sailumber also at the transom (between the gudgeons), before that sticker in the cockpit came and the sailnumber was written on that sticker. The number "LA0814", under the bow eye, is not the sailnumber. In our days we find at the transom under the gunwhale also the "Hull Identification Number" HIN. Also this number (usually beginns this way "GB PSE LS 1 ....") is not the sailnumber.

Aft some intensive searching at my archive I found a table with the sailnumbers /age. I got it from the former homepage of the Swedish Laser Class. Thiey now have a different URL and the table is not to find again. I add a photo of this table below. The Sailnumbers /ages seem to be nearly that what Horizon wrote.

Horizons table ends in 2006.
    In 2006 (Laser Worlds 2006 at Jeju, South Korea, September 2006) the charterboats already had the sailnumbers over 190000 (I found a photo at the ILCA Homepage, with a sailnumber 190003, there at Jeju). So, in 2007 Lasers wits sailnumbers 190xxx to 192xxx have been produced. This year, 2008, at the Laser Worlds 2008 at Trreigal/Australia, in February, already Sailnumbers with 193xxx have been racing. I hope this informations do round up the infos for actual sailnumbers.

Ciao
    LooserLu

Attached Files:

3. Deumel

Deumel New Member

Is it possible that there is some delay in numbers in other parts of the world? I'm currently looking at an UK Laser with sail number 189xxx but it should be 2007 (last 4 digits in hull number are A707)?

4. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

In short words: Yes.

In longer words:

Aft loooong search, I am happy now to say a bit more about the "HIN" of "Laser-I" built by PSE (now: LaserPerformance Europe):

At Europe we have the European Union "EU". This is EU did give some "laws" how trade is to do. One of that regulations/rules is the "Recreational Craft Directive", traders and builders of goods for watercrafts, produced at the EU, have to follow.

One find this directive here to download in English:
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/maritime/maritime_regulatory/doc/guide_v2_94_25_en.pdf

There, at page 36 Topic "2.1" (and for the plaque at the rear-wall of the cockpit of the "Laser-I": topic "2.2") one finds answers.

This regulations may not be confound with US regulations for "HIN"'s or "MIC"'s (Manufaturer Identification Number), please.

Quote of the "Recreational Craft Directive":
    >> ...
    2.1. Hull identification
    Each craft shall be marked with a hull identification
    number including the following information:
    — manufacturer’s code,
    — country of manufacture,
    — unique serial number,
    — year of production,
    — model year.
    The relevant harmonised standard gives details
    of these requirements. ...
    <<<
    End of Quote

F.e.: PSE: The HIN is "GB PSE LS 0732 A707"

Related to your question this means: "A" is January, "7" is "built in 2007", "07" is "model year 2007".

The "0732" is the "unique serial number". This number is !!not identical!! with any sailnumber. It is an internal number of PSE. They (PSE) sure have a table to identify "0732" the correct sailnumber.

At the small photo below you see the HIN of my Laser, printed into the gelcoat at starboard side at the transom : "GB PSE LS 0991 I-001", the Sailnumber is 171442.

"0991" is not to compare to "171442". "I-001" means: built in "September"-"2000", "model year: 2001": And that's absolutely true, I agree: Laser 171442 is built in late 2000 but sold in early 2001 (I definitely know that) to the first owner, here at GER.

Here, in the next link, if you scroll down there a bit (to topic: "Latest News from RYA NIC"), you find an anouncement of 2 stolen "Laser-I" of a Sailing Club at the "UK" (Part: North Ireland):
    http://www.coleraineyachtclub.co.uk/html/body_club_news.html

Stolen boat 1 had this numbers: Sail number 180941 Hin GB PSE LS 0583 E404
    Stolen boat 2 had this numbers: Sail number 180942 Hin GB PSE LS 0579 E404

One may have a look the numbers "0579" and "0583". The if this numbers would DIRECT say something about the sailnumber of that "Laser -I", they should be "0583" / "0584" or "0578" / "0579". But they aren't. Only a table, probably stored at the production-archive of PSE of the year 2004, does say the correct sailnumber, if the plaque at the rear wall of the cockpit is lost or not to read.

So, in result, I have to correct: some boats of the sailnumbers "189xxx" seem to be built later than 2006. Yes, a delay is possible. And I also remember to an old reply from the former "ILCA-NA Email list" (can't find it), that someone did mention, that the builders of the "Laser-I" every year negotiate new the contigents of sailnumbers that the different builders use for their production.
    Probably the 1900xx "Laser-I", at Corea, have been built PSJ (Performance Sailcraft Japan) and the other builders (PSA Australia / Vanguard / PSE Europe) had bigger contingents of sailnumbers, but they didn't have already produced them in September 2006. I hope one understand what I want to say.

All the best
    LooserLu

Attached Files: