How Long is Your Trailer/Boat Rig?

xcatboater

:eek: Folks, I need your input. I anticipate buying a used 14.2 in the near future; however, my garage is only 19' deep. I have been told (by a Catalina representative at the boat show) that the total rig is 21' long. If so, I must either slide my boat forward on the trailer by 2' or cut the tongue off and insert a sleeve that can be pinned on when the trailer is in use; then, when in my garage, I could remove a pin and slide out the sleeve and coupler, giving me room to close my garage door. This seems to be more practical - and stronger - than cutting off the tongue and hinging it. I would appreciate it if you could give me the date of your rig (as I am looking for previously owned boats) and its length. Thanks in advance, George Boley, [email protected]

My garage is also 19' and the boat/trailer fits fine with a few inches to spare. I wonder if the Catalina rep included the mast in the overall length. I have to take the mast off the caddy and store it at a diagonal when I put the boat in the garage.

Boat/trailer length

Since the trailers are provided by a variety of manufacturers, the overall length can easily vary. To be really sure, carry a tape measure to the dealer and measure the rig for yourself.

For what's it's worth, the one time I stored my boat/trailer in a garage it fitted fine, as long as I stored the mast separately at an angle, as noted in another reply above. But not all garages are standard either!

You could also angle the trailer a bit in the garage. This should give you a couple more feet. I put one of those trailer jacks with a swivel wheel on my trailer tounge for easier moving when not hooked up to a vehicle. It was 20 bucks a wal-mart.

Back