How do you paddle a Capri 14.2?

Movingmen1

I have noticed on a number of threads stating people paddle their boat off the dock. It may seem like a silly question but how do you do it? Sit on the bow straddling the forestay?

I paddle mine with a MinnKota 30. the boat is just too dang wide to comfortably use a paddle effectively in any breeze at all. I carry a paddle under the cuddy just for emergency only.

I have noticed on a number of threads stating people paddle their boat off the dock. It may seem like a silly question but how do you do it? Sit on the bow straddling the forestay?

MM: Try paddling from the side, and shift weight to keep boat fairly level. With 2, use 2 paddles and paddle one on each side, while also trying to keep rudder in proper position. If 2 only has 1 paddle, let the front paddle while the back steers. Single-handed is harder so I use a bungee to help keep the rudder positioned and then paddle from side to side as appropriate. However, its not nearly as efficient as in a canoe! Usually its done when out in the lake after the wind dies, in order to get back to the dock. RK

Not to derail the paddling theme but we went the MinnKota 30 route as well to put an end to the boat ramp, marina, channel, pulling up to a restaurant flail that we'd suffered plenty recently. I grew up sailing a this boat off the Lake Michigan shore which made launching, rigging, and recovery from the beach simple. Now we're launching from boat ramps all over the east coast and plenty of them aren't ideal for raising sails immediately or the wind hasn't played fair so the $99 wonder went on and we're nothing but happy. It stows nicely in the cuddy after we're safely out to raise sails and it eliminates the awkward paddling at the beginning and end of a great voyage.

Azalea 6 Nov 15 537sm.JPG Azalea 6 Nov 15 542sm.JPG

Not to derail the paddling theme but we went the MinnKota 30 route as well to put an end to the boat ramp, marina, channel, pulling up to a restaurant flail that we'd suffered plenty recently. I grew up sailing a this boat off the Lake Michigan shore which made launching, rigging, and recovery from the beach simple. Now we're launching from boat ramps all over the east coast and plenty of them aren't ideal for raising sails immediately or the wind hasn't played fair so the $99 wonder went on and we're nothing but happy. It stows nicely in the cuddy after we're safely out to raise sails and it eliminates the awkward paddling at the beginning and end of a great voyage.

View attachment 18781 View attachment 18782

Thank you for the reply. Is your MK 30 also 30 inches long? Battery life is typically what? Appreciate the feedback, thank you.

similar enough to my boat...

LONG Kayak paddle.
40 to 60 lb trolling motor (and I have to keep daggerboard down at least 6 inches to steer or the wind owns the boat)
or 2.5 hp outboard (again needs some daggerboard to steer)

Thank you for the reply. Is your MK 30 also 30 inches long? Battery life is typically what? Appreciate the feedback, thank you.
Don't know the length but 30" seems about right and I'm sure it's on their website. I (and the pictures) and confirm it fits the Capri well. The rudder drags before the prop if that helps you with measurements.

We use reasonably small 35AH batteries that get us 2-3 hours on speeds 1-3 and 1.5-2 hours on speeds 4-5. It's no speed racer but it's valuable quite and easy propulsion when you need it. You'll be on speed 5 if you're fighting 8-10 knots of wind, but if you're using it because all the wind died speed 1-3 is fine.

We've never regretted this gem!

Back