Hot tops

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by seththesailor, Sep 20, 2009.

1. xflyer95

xflyer95 New Member

...if you are a crazy Norwegian you would probably try!....if you haven't seen them...check em out on page 4 :eek:

2. wessel

wessel Member

I saw those Norwegians, but what were they drinking for breakfast.

My boat was given to me last spring and I wasn't really that fond of Lasers, but after sailing it 2 to 3 times a week throughout the summer and gaining skill with it, I have fallen in love with it and now I certainly don't want to put my boat up just cause it snows.

3. dredies

dredies Member

We sail all winter, most of us without dry-suits. Snow isn't frequent in the Pacific Northwest, but we have gone out with show coming down before - very slippery on the deck and the auto-bailer doesn't work very well :D

Our water temperature is probably around 6-8 celsius and the air temperature ranging from 2-12 in the winter. Fingers and toes get numb and painful after a bit, so we tend to keep our sessions to 2 hours or less when the cold arrives.

4. dredies

dredies Member

.. and to get back to the original topic, I am a big fan of the SEA Ultra Warm Top. Even in the coldest of conditions, I have felt comfortable since I started using this top. I also have a Rooster Aquafleece which makes a very cozy layer on top of it.

5. wessel

wessel Member

dredies,

what do you wear when it snows? and do you survive a capsize?

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

When we start training in April/May, the water is about 3/4 degrees Celsius.

It's definitely cold if you fall in, but it's not too bad, just as long as the air temp isn't really cold.

7. dredies

dredies Member

Capsizes are definitely cold. Extra effort is made to dry roll :eek:

Wool hat (toque if you're Canadian), SEA Ultra Warm top, Spray top, life jacket, long fingered paddling gloves, running leggings, hiking pants, aqua socks, and dinghy boots. We've also done things like plastic bags over the socks before the boots, and rubber gloves before the paddling gloves. If you can keep the extremities from getting wet, it's easier to keep them warm.

8. wessel

wessel Member

9. wessel

wessel Member

10. Kratos

Kratos Member

On really cold days, a Helly Hansen sweater finds its way under my spray top, as well.

11. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Either the gear you describe is incredibly good, or you people are nuts! Oops, Laser sailing. Both are true. :D

12. Kratos

Kratos Member

Well, the lower body is usually fine with just hiking pants and some socks in the boots.

The upper body gets covered by either my Zhik Titanium or Micro Fleece and either a HH sweater and spray top, or just spray top. If the air is warm enough and it's not windy, I'll try and get away with just two rash guards.

This is for spring, of course, not winter.

13. wessel

wessel Member

I bought some cheap 10$ polypro skivies that I wear under my hikers on the cooler days right now. I'll bet that they would work reall well under the Hot Top.

14. laserbahamas

laserbahamas New Member

I live in the Bahamas, and in the winter i wear a titanium top. It only gets to about 55 degrees Fahrenheit but with the windchill its cold (to me at least)...i wear it along with my zhik hikers

The top is nice and warm

15. Paraic

Paraic Member

God your a lucky man! There was one winter a few years ago I was cracking ice off my over cover, after an hour and a half on the water I came back in and had to crack more ice off the cover to get it back on...

Good 'aul Ireland!!

16. Kratos

Kratos Member

Windchill...?

You can't say windchill until the real temperature goes below zero haha.

17. dredies

dredies Member

I couldn't say what the thickness is for sure. West Coast Sailing - do you have specs? The key seems to be the metalite and the fact that it's somewhat water repellant on it's own, even before the spray top.

And yes Merrily, they don't call us Crazy Canucks for nothing :D

18. wessel

wessel Member

Rooster has a *what to wear* guide and they have their Hot Top system showing a polypro rash guard then the Hot Top then another thicker neoprene top over that. The SEA Hot Top - if thicker - may be a nice pair with a polypro rash and might feel better than a lot of layers.