home made mast tube

pthayn

I have just purchased a sunfish made is the 70's by viking. When I got the boat home I realized that the mast tube is badly damaged. Large pieces of the fiberglass are missing and it is no longer attached to the bottom of the hull. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas about for repairing this. I was thinking of constructing a new mast tube from aluminum tubing and attaching it at the bottom of the hull over a circular wood disc that fits the inside diameter of the tube. This disc would be glued to the bottom of the hull. I am going to put in an inspection port about 6 inches from the mast tube, but off center since there seems to be a support fore and aft of the mast tube.

Has anyone heard of a similar repair, or have any ideas?

I have just purchased a sunfish made is the 70's by viking. When I got the boat home I realized that the mast tube is badly damaged. Large pieces of the fiberglass are missing and it is no longer attached to the bottom of the hull. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas about for repairing this. I was thinking of constructing a new mast tube from aluminum tubing and attaching it at the bottom of the hull over a circular wood disc that fits the inside diameter of the tube. This disc would be glued to the bottom of the hull. I am going to put in an inspection port about 6 inches from the mast tube, but off center since there seems to be a support fore and aft of the mast tube.

Though I have not done any sort of extensive repair work on an Intl. Fiberglass Co., Viking, reports are their construction is very similar to the Alcort, Inc., Sunfish.

Why not simply reconstruct the fiberglass mast tube and maybe beef it up a little with some additional layers of glass fabric. That would be the typical repair method used to fix an Alcort Sunfish with the same damage.

How did you discover the Viking has internal supports near the mast tube, are these now exposed with the damage? It would be interesting to see just how similar or different these two boats are. Can you post some pictures?

Photo - Courtesy of the Sunfish_Sailor Archive

Attachments

• Copy of MastStep.jpg
    Copy of MastStep.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 170
Here are some drawings of what the situation is. I can't really get very good pictures until I cut the inspection port. It may be a while before that happens since it is raining here and probably wouldn't be a good idea to cut a hole and then get it all wet inside. There is already some water in it.

I have no experience working with fiberglass and have no equipment. It sounded kind of expensive to get everything I would need, plus there is no only about 2/3 of the original tube left, hence being able to see the inside of the boat to choose a inspection port location. If that is in fact a better idea, there is some one local who repairs boats, but I would rather do it myself to save some money.

My idea is to epoxy the disk of wood to the previous location of the mast tube attachment. then set the aluminum tube around it and put some thick epoxy around it for support. I would also epoxy around where the tube would come through the upper hull, with some added support of a wooden ring cut to fit around the new tube.

the original fiberglass tube remains would be cut out, which kind of concerns me.

Attachments

• IMGP4713.jpg
    IMGP4713.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 153
  • drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 151
  • sailboatlocations.jpg
    sailboatlocations.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 144
  • mast tube.jpg
    mast tube.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the picture. I drew the missing areas on it. I can't get a good look at the attachment at the base of the tube, but it moves freely, so I am not sure it is attached at all.

Attachments

• Copy of MastStep.jpg
    Copy of MastStep.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 140
Here are some drawings of what the situation is. I can't really get very good pictures until I cut the inspection port.
My concern with port placement is the deck area perpendicular to centerline at the mast tube supports a portion of the mast's lateral force. Offset at 45º might work better. \ /

I have no experience working with fiberglass and have no equipment. It sounded kind of expensive to get everything I would need, plus there is no only about 2/3 of the original tube left, hence being able to see the inside of the boat to choose a inspection port location. If that is in fact a better idea, there is some one local who repairs boats, but I would rather do it myself to save some money.

Your proposed approach looks workable. It would not be my first choice, but considering it utilizes materials you are more familiar with I don’t see a functional problem.

In boat repair circles, when epoxy is discussed, the reference is to “laminating epoxy” rather than pre-thickened A-B epoxy like you find at the hardware store for household repairs. The difference being, laminating epoxy alone is less viscous and will therefore run into crevices the squeeze tube stuff won’t…, and you can add additives to create different sorts of extra hardening. There are thickeners, structural strengtheners, and aerating fluffers so you use one can of resin to create your own variations for all parts of the job.

One consideration when you are done, a metal mast will wear quickly against a metal tube. You could consider using a thin plastic insert like the cover off a flexible notebook as a liner between the two.

...heres is my 3 cents worth... watch for the Styrofoam blocks when you go to put the inspection port in. You will want to be on the inside of the factory foam block layout, as well as what Wayne had mentioned about the 45 degree offset.

Thanks you guys for your advise. I can already tell you've helped me avoid several mistakes. I will have to read up a little about epoxy, before I try anything. I am open to trying a fiberglass repair, but am not sure how much I would be able to do if there are parts of the original tube missing, and if its not attached at the bottom. Can you use fiberglass to replace missing areas?

I am having a hard time seeing the actual extend of the dammage, but will try and get a inspection port soon. If the tube looks similar to the picture you posted, fiberglass may be more doable.

Saving the mast tube depends on how much it's damaged. Plan 'A' is to reattach the mast tube to the bottom of the hull then wrap layers of fiberglass cloth and mat around the mast tube. If the mast tube is not shattered or crushed, coating the mast with release agent and inserting the mast in the tube should allow you to repair some large holes. The real trick is getting the mast tube attached to the bottom of the hull so the mast is straight and not at an angle. Best way would be to make a jig off someones SF that you could use on your SF. You idea for a wooden block at the base of the mast step is good however it might be a challenge since you have the keel depression and V shape of the hull to deal with. For extra strength I'd go with triangle gusset blocks after (A) the mast tube is fiberglass 'Scotch-Taped' to the hull and (B) the mast tube is wrapped in layers of fiberglass cloth and mat. The whole idea is to always go the 'down and dirty' or the simple route unless other considerations prevent it.

Thanks you guys for your advise. I can already tell you've helped me avoid several mistakes. I will have to read up a little about epoxy, before I try anything. I am open to trying a fiberglass repair, but am not sure how much I would be able to do if there are parts of the original tube missing, and if its not attached at the bottom. Can you use fiberglass to replace missing areas?

I am having a hard time seeing the actual extent of the damage, but will try and get a inspection port soon. If the tube looks similar to the picture you posted, fiberglass may be more doable.
With a fiberglass repair (using either epoxy or polyester resin as the medium), the job is similar to paper-mâché, for big kids. You would wrap resin soaked strips of fiberglass fabric around the existing pieces of the mast tube, using the remaining portions of the tube as your form. Once a new tube has been built in layers the depressions left on the inner diameter by the broken out parts would get filled with a paste of resin and chopped glass fiber.

Re-attachment of the bottom of the tube to the hull would be accomplished in the process of building-up the “new” tube by forming a gusset with each layer of wrap. If the upper end of the tube needs a connection to the deck it can be made in the same way.

Any good book on fiberglass boat repair can provide the details of handling resins and fabrics. For example:

Fiberglass Repair and Construction Handbook by Jack Wiley

Fiberglass Repair: Polyester or Epoxy by David Aiken

The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual by Allan H. Vaitses

If you have a specialty plastics supplier (fiberglass outlet) in your area, they can be invaluable for advice on which materials to select and how to apply them. Something a recent graduate from Mac Big Box Hardware’s School of Counter Service Excellence won’t likely be able to provide.

These are some on-line examples…

Fiberglass Supply Co.
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com

Jamestown Distributors
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com
(look in their help area for video overviews)

Here are some better photos of the mast tube. There is also a metal ring that is missing that should be screwed to the mast tube opening, as the manual (not missing) states it to takes strain off the top. One thing that I have noticed while looking at other photos of mast tube repairs is that there is an overhang from the tube opening and the actual tube. I will attach a drawing to show what I mean. I don't believe this is the case on normal sunfish boats.

The bottom of the tube is not attached. I also have attached several pictures showing the support post about 6 inches in front of the mast tube.

Attachments

• IMGP5718.jpg
    IMGP5718.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMGP5722.jpg
    IMGP5722.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMGP5721.jpg
    IMGP5721.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMGP5726.jpg
    IMGP5726.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMGP5734.jpg
    IMGP5734.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 116
  • tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 118
Here are some better photos of the mast tube.
THANKS..., those help to understand your boat's construction much better.

There is also a metal ring that is missing that should be screwed to the mast tube opening, as the manual (not missing) states it to takes strain off the top
I've seen that in other pictures of the Viking.

One thing that I have noticed while looking at other photos of mast tube repairs is that there is an overhang from the tube opening and the actual tube.

The bottom of the tube is not attached. I also have attached several pictures showing the support post about 6 inches in front of the mast tube.
It's not clear from the photo, but does it appear the bottom of the mast tube might have been set into a block of dense foam? Laser uses a method something similar to secure their mast tube at its base.

Attachments

• Viking Tube Guess.jpg
    Viking Tube Guess.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 108
Those supports ahead of and behind the mast tube... Could you be seeing the ends of some emergency flotation blocks running down the center of the boat?

Attachments

• Viking Supports.jpg
    Viking Supports.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 113
i think i'd go with a new set up of heavy pvc pipe, a dougnut shaped wood ring bottom and top and a good epoxy bond. you can also make a nice deck ring to fasten to the inner deck ring you make. fiberglass coatings (fgci)in fla. makes a great 2 part epoxy i have used for years called superbond. it's 50/50 mix like peanutbutter. a pint of each epoxy/hardener) will do the job.

Working with epoxy is easy and the paper-mâché analogy is perfect. This is a highly-stressed part of the boat, and epoxy is extremely strong.

There is a lot of sanding involved and surfaces must be rough, very clean and very dry. By using measuring spoons, you can save on buying the expensive West® System pumps that seem "necessary".

In your case, epoxy can "create" everything you need (step, tube, and deck support) and will give you knowledge for future repairs elsewhere.

It doesn't appear that the mast tube is worth saving. A new and much more durable tube can be "created" out of epoxy. Use the old mast as a female mold and tape a couple of layers of wax paper between it and the new built-up epoxy tube.

Rather than cut a new port, why not cut out an eight-inch circle using the mast tube as the center? Retain the cutout piece and build up a new support ring using epoxy ("created" out of multiple layers of epoxy and cloth). A replacement metal ring can't be available any longer and epoxy won't corrode, loosen, and can be made still stronger, lighter and more durable.

The large hole will allow direct access to the necessary sanding that would precede the "creating" of a new epoxy mast step. That bottom part of the hull is almost always wet, and a wood step is vulnerable to swelling, splitting, or breaking loose. You could still make a "PT" wood support that is bonded to either side of the mast tube with epoxy.

Save the cutout piece and epoxy it back in place and add a layer or two of cloth to reinforce the deck, which probably could use it anyway.

There are several "caveats" connected with these suggestions, but that's what I would do. :)

Here is a drawing of what I believe the foam blocks are like in this boat. Its a viking, so there are apparently some differences between it and a sunfish. I am starting to think that I should not put a access port behind the splash guard since there is only a a couple of inches between the lateral running foam block and the deck. I am thinking that I will put a 5" port on a 45 degree angle in front of the mast tube to gain access. This drawing is made from looking through the gap at the top of the mast tube.

I was also wondering if I could use the mast a male form/mold to fashion a tube to replace the current mast tube instead of using pipe. If so, do I just wrap the actual mast in plastic wrap or is there something I should coat the mast in?

Attachments

• foam blocks on viking.jpg
    foam blocks on viking.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 125
I'd tear out the remainder of the existing mast tube to see if the foam is worth saving. (The tube's going anyway). Wouldn't this be a good opportunity to refurbish the foam?

There's nothing wrong with using PVC—especially if the diameter is exactly right. You'd just have to bond it to its fiberglass supports by mechanical means. (Use PVC cement to put a series of PVC rings on the tube for the resin to grab onto).

Will a 5" port be large enough to get your electric sander through? (An air sander, maybe).

I've only made flat molds, but you can use something as commonplace as plastic grocery bags. (The new resin won't stick to it). I suspect releasing the two will be difficult, so I'd be generous with whatever wrapping you decide to use. Four or five turns of wax paper might be good. In a pinch, the wax paper could be heated (from inside the aluminum mast mold) to cause the new mast tube to slide off.

Perhaps a substitute mold would work: something on the order of tightly-rolled aluminum flashing, secured on the ends with hose clamps, would work out better. After curing, you could tighten the hose clamps to reduce the mold's diameter and remove the flashing from the new mast tube. (Or use a PCV pipe cut on one side of its length, and the hose clamps). Swim noodles come in different diameters.

Using a glass cylinder of the right diameter would be perfect! (You could break the cylinder and shake out the pieces). :D :p

i would use the mast itself as the mold and wrap it in a cardboard tube (like a papertowel tube). wrap the papertowel tube with saran wrap then wrap this with wetted strips of fiberglass to the thickness you want for the tube(build up the tube thickness strip by strip). this will give you some space between the mast and new tube you can make it a little long then use a cardboard mockup to fit in the hull and determine the exact length you need. with a little extra effort you can form a flange edge on the end of the tube to attach to the hull and then build wood donuts to fiberglass to the deck and bottom surrounding the new tube. if you prep ahead it could all be built in one step without needing to wait for the glass to dry.

Here is a drawing of what I believe the foam blocks are like in this boat. Its a viking, so there are apparently some differences between it and a sunfish.
All the Sunfish look-alikes have subtle and not-so-subtle differences. Your peek into the hull looks like it shows the bottom is entirely covered by a layer of sprayed in foam. It's going to be educational once you get the port installed and have a good look around.

From your sketch, off-center and forward appears like an appropriate location for repair access.

I was also wondering if I could use the mast a male form/mold to fashion a tube to replace the current mast tube instead of using pipe. If so, do I just wrap the actual mast in plastic wrap or is there something I should coat the mast in?
  • i would use the mast itself as the mold and wrap it in a cardboard tube...
  • you can make it a little long then use a cardboard mockup to fit in the hull and determine the exact length you need.
  • with a little extra effort you can form a flange edge on the end of the tube to attach to the hull and then build wood donuts to fiberglass to the deck and bottom surrounding the new tube.

Rob appears to have some good suggestions grounded in experience.

The mast does need some room for a little pivotal motion so the thought about adding a layer of cardboard to create that spacing is a good one.

I do not know if all plastic wraps are compatible with resins and their hardeners so a little testing would be a good idea. Waxed paper works great and is a mainstay of fiberglass work. Another material is PVA (polyvinyl alcohol). It's a liquid developed as a mold release, but has also found use as a protectant for surfaces surrounding a repair. It can be brushed or pump-sprayed. Another helpful piece of equipment is 3" wide tape, masking or packing. You can see it being used in the Geophizz video on hull repair from the Laser Performance seminar.

If you choose a mechanical installation, fitting and sealing will be the challenge. WEST system, G-Flex is a specialty epoxy (other brands as well) that claims to adhere to plastics regular epoxies won't. ...should you go that route.

For comparison, the Sunfish mast tube uses both a mating flange approach and a flared flange, at least at its base. These are fiberglassed in place making the tube part of the hull rather than a stand-alone piece.

2¢ …

I am still leaning toward leaving the broken mast tube in place and building around it. One reason is, there’s a question of perpendicular alignment and I am thinking leaving the existing bits in place maintains that and saves having to devise a way to set a new separate tube.

The approach I would entertain first is to run tape across all the broken out places from down the tube. Stuff the tube with crumpled paper to give the tape support.

From inside the hull, wrap strips of (wetted) fiberglass fabric mummy style around the existing tube until a new tube is formed. You can even form a flange as you go at both the top and base to make the tube integral with the hull.

If you want reinforcement at the deck, make a doughnut in two halves ( ) for below deck and a new metal collar for above.

As I mentioned earlier, once a new tube has been built in layers the depressions left on the inner diameter by the broken out parts would get filled with a paste you mix up from resin and chopped glass fiber.

hadn't thought of the alignment issue. it would be best to leave it then. i agree if it can be reinforced and built up in place that's the best way.

I cut an inspection port this afternoon. It doesn't look so bad from the outside of the tube. I am sure that once I am done, the outside of the tube is going to be one ugly work of art. I purchased some epoxy 105 and some 205 hardener, along with 10 feet of 6" woven fiberglass tape. I think I an going to center the mast in the tube, while it is wrapped in a bunch of wax paper and then just wrap everything in tape and epoxy. I haven't bought any filler for the epoxy, but I think I will mix up some peanut butter consistency epoxy and pack it around the bottom of the tube. My main concern is where the tube attaches to the deck. Most of that area is missing, but the same approach or a wooden donut may also work. I will post some pictures soon. I am not sure what the previous kids did to this boat, but it must have close to a gallon of dirt just rolling around inside. Not really sure how to get that out, but will think of something. Also, the inside of the boat is wet, and I don't have a garage to store the boat, so it may be a while until I actually work with the epoxy.

it won't fit in the dining room? :D

Usually it's the wife and not the dining room that's the problem.

Best solution to the deck would be to remove what's left of the mast tube and then start laying up a large squares of Matt and Woven Roving under the deck centered on where the tube was. When you get done, after two or three layers, redrill the hole in the deck for the mast tube. This would also give you the base for fiberglassing in the wooden donut you were talking about. Maybe best to finish with fiberglassing in the wooden block and then drilling the whole thing, wooden block included, in one shot. This would give you a fixed position for the top of the mast tube, then you only have to deal with where it attaches to the keel for getting the mast lined up.

I am sure that once I am done, the outside of the tube is going to be one ugly work of art.
The back side of fiberglass work never is pretty.

I purchased some epoxy 105 and some 205 hardener, along with 10 feet of 6" woven fiberglass tape.
Tape ? :eek: I hope it's substantially woven fabric not the window screen looking stuff for muffler repair and holding plaster in drywall patches. The glass fabric is the structure for the resin.

My main concern is where the tube attaches to the deck. Most of that area is missing
A flared fiberglass flange might take care of both needs..., deck repair/reinforcement and connection.

I think I an going to center the mast in the tube, while it is wrapped in a bunch of wax paper and then just wrap everything in tape and epoxy.
Better to masking tape over all the broken out sections, otherwise you're liable to drool and puddle resin into the bottom of the tube.

I am not sure what the previous kids did to this boat, but it must have close to a gallon of dirt just rolling around inside.
Get a couple of buddies to help you hold it bow down and shake it. Then lay the hull back down and reach into the bow with a shop-vac.

Also, the inside of the boat is wet, and I don't have a garage to store the boat, so it may be a while until I actually work with the epoxy.

Hmm..., yup, the parts you're fix'n gotta be dry dry dry.

Plan your work day well... remember, epoxy - unlike polyester resin - needs to be laid up in one shot before the resin begins to cure or you loose the chemical bonding between layers that gives epoxy its extra strength for fiberglass work. If you foresee having to do the lay-up work in stages over a couple of days time, polyester laminating resin might be a better material choice.

Usually it's the wife and not the dining room that's the problem.
:D

wife? wee don need nooo stinken wife!

oops i didn't see her reading over my shoulder.:eek:

i guess i'm sleeping with the (sun)fishes tonite.

How about this, get someone to mold a deck blister like the Sailfish has at the base of the mast and put it on the SF. It looks way cool, keeps water out of the mast tube and adds support.

The tape is fiberglass fabric, and pretty thick, about as thick as the west marine place had. I was wondering what you meant by flange? I agree about the masking tape. I'll be sure to mask it so that the tube doesn't fill, but I may leave the mast in while I apply the fabric and epoxy, or I may just use that mast and a level to line the tube up and then stuff it with newspaper.

So is this flange something I should find, or should I just try and make one. I googled it and there are some metal ones for pipes, but I couldn't find fiberglass ones.

The tape is fiberglass fabric, and pretty thick, about as thick as the west marine place had.
Good choice!

I was wondering what you meant by flange?
Maybe gussett is a more accurate term. The fabric is extremely flexible and will turn the corner to layer onto the underside of the deck.

You just build the tube out onto the flat of the deck's underside as you lay up each of the half dozen or so layers it will require to match the original tube's thickness. (see sketch)

Maybe mock up your approach by using masking tape to wrap and connect a TP tube to a flat piece of cardboard.

Never use your boat for practice... always do mock-ups and even learn the behaviors of the actual materials by doing a small job on a practice piece.

Yup, it costs a bit more to do that, but it costs even more to misjudge how things are going to work.

By now you should have picked up a good book on working with fiberglass and doing different sorts of repairs because none of this kibbitzing is coming anywhere near the details you'll get from the instructions and methods written in the texts.

Just to help get you going in the right direction...

Attachments

• M -Tube.jpg
    M -Tube.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 73
  • WEST_Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • Fiberglass-Epoxy-Basics-Training-Guide.pdf
    590.6 KB · Views: 77
  • System 3 Epoxy Book.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 54
The flange could be built around a plywood ring slipped over the mast, using the mast as the mold for the new mast tube. Put release agent on the plywood ring as you will remove it after the tube is made. Once the mast tube is completed, it can be inserted in the deck with the flange resting on top of the deck. Having the flange fixed to the top of the deck offers the advantage of a professional looking repair, covers the damaged deck and makes it harder to damage the deck/tube when inserting the mast.

"...I purchased some epoxy 105 and some 205 hardener, along with 10 feet of 6" woven fiberglass tape...Also, the inside of the boat is wet, and I don't have a garage to store the boat, so it may be a while until I actually work with the epoxy..."
Depending on what might be saturated with water inside the hull, it could take weeks before the moisture is gone. I'd leave it in an all-day sun location if possible.

I'm now preferring the use of 206 (slow-set) hardener. Even in moderate temperatures, I've had 205 "go-off" (set up) and get too hot to hold the container. Also, the vapors produced by the heat are hazardous.

IF the base is imbedded in foam (Laser fashion), then the base is probably strong enough without adding the gussets I previously mentioned. The deck-end of the tube is probably also strong enough, but your sketch shows an overlap at the top. Is the overlap made of fiberglass or was the overlap in the picture to indicate the missing metal ring?

If fiberglass, then the tube is undersized for the mast.

If fiberglass, how about cutting away the flange? The object is to make the tube strong and watertight, so...

1) You could tape (or patch) the outside of the existing mast tube
2) Make a new watertight tube using the mast as a male mold
3) Insert the mast with new tube attached into an epoxy paste, and
4) Simultaneously bond the overflow to the deck inside a wood ring with the desired finished contour.

If there's an issue regarding erosion of the hull (from the bottom edge of the mast), you could imbed a piece of aluminum or stainless steel at the bottom of the mast step.

Its been a while since I posted, mostly because now the weather is improving and I have working on my boat. i have updates, and one more question.

I used the mast as a male mold and now have a mast tube thats made of fiberglass. It is smaller in diameter than the original mast tube fragment that I removed. There is still a minimal amount of the attachment point of the original mast tube to the hull, so I think I can center the new tube at the site of the old base pretty well. This will ensure that the mast tube is straight, so my mast isn't off center. My question is now that i have a mast tube (without flange) would is be better to fiberglass this to the original hull, or should I put a few layers of fiberglass on the inside of the hull, where the mast tube will connect. I am concerned to that if I I don't put down a few layer of fabric, the attachment of mast tube to hull will be weak. I also purchase to mix-ins for my epoxy, a bottle of glass microspheres for the gel coat repair, and some diced glass fibers. I was wondering if it would bestronger to try and run strips of fabric down the base of the tube onto the surface of the jull, or should I just mix in the glass fibers and glop it around the base of the tube.

I will try and post some pictures when i am off work tomorrow.

Mast tube should not be a snug fit. When you insert the mast, air/water needs to vent up between the mast and the tube. If there is water in the mast tube and you insert a snug fitting mast you have a hydraulic ram.

Adding some extra fiberglass will not hurt a bit. Better to go a little stronger then hear a loud crack and watch you mast tilt to one side.

Strength is in the fiberglass impregnated resin. Fiberglass tape strips or running a fiberglass-strip-circle around the base of the mast is good. Glopping does not sound like it will spread out the load evenly although I could be wrong.

I guess I should update everyone to the progress of my little sunfish. Like previously mentioned, the mast step was rotten and mostly missing, when I bought the boat. I discussed using another material like aluminum tubing to use as a replacement. I didn't follow that idea and am very glad that I didn't. I used the mast as a male mold of the the mast step and wrapped it several times in fiberglass fabric. This requires significantly more fabric that I though it would, to build up a 1/4 inch thick pipe. I made the bottom quite a bit thicker than the to top, as it take a little more force. I thickened the top near the junction with the deck, so there would more contact for good bonding. To attach the bottom, removed all the remnants of the previous mast tube and sanded it flat, and applied about 6 to 7 layers of fiberglass. I then centered the step in place and placed and glued a 4" disposable ring around it and poured an epoxy mix with fiberlgass fiber mix in the ring to lock the base in place, it poured about 3/4 of inch thick. I then poured about the same depth of straight epoxy down the mast tube to support the mast. I then flipped boat over and placed layer of cardboard covered in wax paper with a circle cut out to fit around the top of the mast tube. I should mention that the new mast tube fit within the hole in the deck. Once the boat was upside down and the cardboard was in place, I poured a mix of epoxy and glass microspheres around the top of the mast step from inside the boat to lock the mast tube in position and attach it to the deck. Once this was set up, I just cut off the top of the mast step to desired length and it was all done. It is maybe not the prettiest repair on the inside, but it 200 years when this boat is all rotted away, that mast step will still be intact. It probably weighs 15-20 pounds.

Attachments

• IMGP5766.jpg
    IMGP5766.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMGP5768.jpg
    IMGP5768.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP5773.jpg
    IMGP5773.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP5775.jpg
    IMGP5775.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP5302.jpg
    IMGP5302.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMGP5296.jpg
    IMGP5296.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP5298.jpg
    IMGP5298.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 69
here are some photos from the inside, I didn't take many during the construction process. But you can get an idea. Sorry the inside of the boat is so dirty. The last owner dumped about 5 gallons of dirt and nuts from trees inside. I think this boat had been somewhat abused. I sailed it 2 weeks ago and she took on no water at all. I also painted her to match the trailer and my car, with Rustolium top side paint from Lowes. The trailer is a modified harbor freight trailer that I replaced the tongue with a 9 foot length of 2x2 inch steal tube, and built a cradle for out of treated lumber.

Attachments

• IMGP5828.jpg
    IMGP5828.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP5830.jpg
    IMGP5830.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP5831.jpg
    IMGP5831.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP5833.jpg
    IMGP5833.jpg