Hiking Strap Installation

imported_Matt

Hello,

Anyone know of a way to pad a standard strap like with a neoprene sleeve of some sort? Also, what length bolts are appropriate to bolt the eye straps on the rear cockpit lip and the length of bolts recommended to go through the front cockpit wall for bolt on through the inspection port? One more thing. How boat a way to secure a bungee to keep strap off the floor if my '87 boat does not have a mainsheet block?

Thanks,
Matt

Sorry, but I can't really answer your first question. I would just get a strap that's more comfortable.

The length of the bolts doesn't matter. Just long enough to do the job.

To get the strap off the floor, my suggestion would be to tie it to something else that's 'nearby', like the halyard cleat. However, I strongly recommend getting a block. Yes, I know, they don't come for free :eek:.

Hello,

Anyone know of a way to pad a standard strap like with a neoprene sleeve of some sort? Also, what length bolts are appropriate to bolt the eye straps on the rear cockpit lip and the length of bolts recommended to go through the front cockpit wall for bolt on through the inspection port? One more thing. How boat a way to secure a bungee to keep strap off the floor if my '87 boat does not have a mainsheet block?

Thanks,
Matt

If you have a later serial number boat with the storage area behind the cockpit, 2" is the right length for the bolts--if they pass through the lip on either side. I use lock nuts with the plastic insert--no washers. It might need to be a tiny bit longer--no more than 2.5" long

For the front strap, probably an inch is long enough. I use big flat washers and locknuts.

If you don't have a mainsheet, how do you trim your main. Don't tell me you use the bronze hook. I'll assume you do. If you don't the same rule would apply. Install something on the cockpit flange that you can hook shock cord to. Loop it over and tie it off to hold up for hiking strap.

Your best bet is to install a nice mainsheet system, and loop it over that.

Back