hiking pants

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by sam173210, Aug 29, 2003.

?

What style of hiking pants do you perfer

1. Camet

6 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Queensport

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. SEA Austrailia

24 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Gul

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Sailing Angles

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. I dont like hiking pants

11 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Most of the group I sail with wear some sort of tight shorts on the outside of the drysuit - Lycra etc...
    It protects the seat as you mention, and also since most of the dry suits are so baggy, it helps to contain all that excess material so sliding around in the boat is a little easier

2. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Something extra I wanted to note. In the 90's I sailed using the oldl North strap on hikers, (still have them). They worked ok, but would work their way out from under my thigh and could get caught on things as they do not fit snug like the neoprene hikers do. However, the advantage to shed them and fold them up tight is nice. If I'm out and it gets light I will take them off. In my most recent regatta I had on my SEA pants and it got light. It took more time to take them off, fold them and secure them, (in front of the mast). However, when it blew hard enough to wear them and hike they were way more comfortable.

3. wabbit

wabbit New Member

I have tried a number of pants over the years, and have never been completely satisfied with any of them, so have decided to try making my own. So far the design is in its infancy, but my specs are something along the lines of:

Pants must not fall down or stretch when wet! How many times during a race do you have to try and pull up hiking pants that have become 'droopy' when wet!

Battens must extend from just above the back of the knee to as high up my (bum) as practicable, allowing normal sittling, kneeling and standing posture without protrusions. This will provide the maximum spreading of the load, no matter how hard I am hiking.

The battens must also protect the back of the leg as well as the outside of the leg for those times when one is hiking 'twisiting' forward.

The system will be held in place using wide, adjustable straps on the legs and waistband. Another little trick here is place some velcro (the hooks component) on the inside, which 'grabs' the neoprene of my wet-pants and so doesnt slide/rotate etc.

My biggest problem at the moment is finding suitable materials, that are hard wearing yet flexible. I made one prototype from an old sail which worked quite well except that is was exceptionally slippery on the deck and I was sliding around all over the place, and once straight out the back of the boat! I have a couple of synthetic material struts which are about 2" wide and 1/16" thick from an old knee brace that I had to wear for six months that are nearly perfect for the battens, but I cannot locate a supplier who doesnt want me to pay medical/hospital prices for similar components! And I am NOT paying A$65 per strut! (would eventually make the pants worth at least $260+)

Once I have the design worked out a little more, I will take it to my local sailmaker/adventuring store to get them to make my Beta version for further testing.

I will keep you appraised of my efforts, and would appreciate any feedback, maybe your current pants have their good points/bad points that could be re-engineered in my product?

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

It sounds like you are describing the strap on pants made by North, Gul and others....Gul strap on hikers at APS

As far as material - cordura is a good material to cover the battens - 1000 denier. It's not slippery like sailcloth. You could also use Sunbrella/Acrylian (which is the material used for leech covers on roller furling sails, awnings etc) It's not as hard wearing as cordura, but it's not bad....

As far as the batten material - a visit to most sailmakers should yield you enough scrap batten stock to get going.

Have you tried the Burrka hikers ?

Good luck

5. Darryn

Darryn New Member

I have Neil Pryde Hikers, the battens are a long way down the leg encouraging the wearer to hike harder to get onto the battens. The stitching has failed in various places but thats easy to fix.
    I have made my own hikers in the past, I made the battens from the backsupport on a broken plastic outdoor chair.
    Darryn

6. megan_155372

megan_155372 New Member

Well I have the SEA hiking pants and I like them very much... but just make sure that you don't get them to big because the pads in the back will dig into your knees and you will find out that it hurts big time on the down winds!

7. sailordude

sailordude New Member

yeah i just gota pair of SEA australia hiking pants the 3/4 one and they are really nice. alot more support and they dont wear out as fast as some other once iv had.

8. keiran searle AUS

keiran searle AUS New Member

i did have SEA pants but i am not the right fit 4 any makes of hiking pants so i had to get custom pants i have also never had a wetsuit or hiking pants so when i first used them i was amaised how heavy they where.

9. Jason Cosler

Jason Cosler New Member

Just got a pair of the Magic Marine strap-on pads. What is the works best under these? I have a spring suit that I'm considering, but am a little worried about being too warm this weekend. And is it advisable to wear something over the strap-on pads (seems like too many layers...)?

Thanks,
    -Jason