hiking boots

POR170969

amuras!
hi all

just wondering what are the best hiking boots in the market right now, i want to buy a pair of them in the christmas.

thanks in advance,
Miguel

laserxd, how do those compare with the *bootie* type. I have tried the hightop style before but didn't like the feeling of slogging around with water filled wellies.

laserxd, how do those compare with the *bootie* type. I have tried the hightop style before but didn't like the feeling of slogging around with water filled wellies.

I don't like to have water sloshing around on my feet either when I'm sailing, dinghy boots should be tight enough so that not that much water (or any) gets in when laced/zipped up (while still being comfortable). Gill and zhik make lowtops, but not sure if they'll get filled up with water. The most important thing is comfort because you'll be able to sail faster for longer.

When its warm then I love the rooster hike boots. I find them really comfortable for hiking in. As they are quite narrow I can't wear neoprene socks in them though without cutting circulation off to my toes so they are a warm water boot only for me.

When its not so warm I have a pair of Musto Zip Boots so that I can fit extra layers/socks on too. Nothing special about them other than they seemed to have the widest ankle of any boot (I have small feet for my size so all boot makers imagine I have tiny legs too).

I too have the Rooster hike boots, only been out in them once so far, but very warm. If you buy them, you get to order neoprene socks too for half price, although when I tried wearing both, it was way too tight. So far only been out in my new laser once, so can't comment on what they are like in real cold conditions. Guess I will find out this weekend on the south coast.

What are the real benefits of hiking boots? I've never used them, sailed for the last 15 years barefoot or in sneakers if I'm in a drysuit. Is it ankle support? Wear and tear on feet?

What are the real benefits of hiking boots? I've never used them, sailed for the last 15 years barefoot or in sneakers if I'm in a drysuit. Is it ankle support? Wear and tear on feet?

Ankle support
General foot protection
Grip on the toe strap
Cockpit grip
Warmth

I too have the Rooster hike boots, only been out in them once so far, but very warm. If you buy them, you get to order neoprene socks too for half price, although when I tried wearing both, it was way too tight. So far only been out in my new laser once, so can't comment on what they are like in real cold conditions. Guess I will find out this weekend on the south coast.

This weekend just gone I was wearing my Rooster hike boots with a pair of hot socks in them. This was warm enough for South Coast water. Previous week had been sailing inland with the same set up and my feet froze (although the 3+hr on water postponement didn't help with that one)
Once the water gets properly cold (Dec/Jan - Mar) I'll change to my Musto Zip boots so I can wear neoprene socks aswell.

thank you all for the info.

sailorchick, i think i'm going to buy those rooster hiking boot, seems prety good.
i live in Portugal, so i guess i don't need hot socks at all.

thank you all for the info.

sailorchick, i think i'm going to buy those rooster hiking boot, seems prety good.
i live in Portugal, so i guess i don't need hot socks at all.

I'd guess you won't need the hot socks either :D.

Had some fun sailing in the Europa Cup at Matosinhos a few years ago in October. Was really nice to escape the cold UK water even if only for a weekend!

I'd guess you won't need the hot socks either :D.

Had some fun sailing in the Europa Cup at Matosinhos a few years ago in October. Was really nice to escape the cold UK water even if only for a weekend!

you should come next year, it's pretty good and fun! :D an you have the europa cup at Vigo in the next week

Which Mustos are these? My feet were frozen on the water today so I'm looking for something warmer.

There's nothing special about my Musto boots. They just happened to be the widest in the ankle - I have size 4 feet and muscly calves so struggle to get any boots to do up. I spent a lot of time in Andark (local chandlers) trying on every pair of dinghy boots they sell whilst wearing neoprene socks to check the fit.

If you want warm feet you need enough room in your boots that you can wear neoprene socks and/or hot socks etc and still be able to wiggle your toes/get blood through the ankle to your feet. If you cut off circulation your feet will freeze no matter how warm the stuff you are wearing on them is supposed to be.

Back