Hikin Straps

Jaybird_0072

My boat came without hiking straps and I found them to be about $100.00. Do you actually use them on these boats? I have only been out once and didn't even know the boat originally came with them. Please advice.

You don't need the hiking straps if you sail in light wind conditions or if you never hike hard. I almost always use mine. You could make your own out of 2" webbing, not as comfy, but better than nothing.

Hiking Straps

Hi Jaybird,

I just ordered a set of hiking straps through Cataline Direct about 4-5 weeks ago. They take about 6-8 weeks to deliver, so hopefully I'll see them when I return to NC from Kuwait. :) Anyway, there are three straps, 2 from the Barney post forward and one from the post aft and the ones from Catalina do come with pads (kind of like something you would slip over a seat belt to provide more comfort) in a color that matched the stripes on the side of your boat (i.e. royal/navy blue, or teal, red, etc.) I was hoping for just plain black, but I think the blue will look nice too. Price from Catalina with shipping was right at $82-83. To see what they look like, look under the new posts for the 2001 14.2 for sale in TN. He has a great slide show that you can access (32 slides) that has several of the interior. If you want to save some $$$ then yes, you can buy lengths of approx. 2" nylon webbing and make them yourselves (without the pads). If you only sail in light winds, you may not end up using them, but I'll still take my 14.2 out in 15-18 knot winds or better and then you'd better be hiking out to keep from heeling over too far. Let me know if you have any other questions as I do monitor this site from over here! Good luck.

Back