Help with water filled Sunfish please

joel2

My sunfish is very heavy and can't be moved. Right now it's upside down outside on a slight incline. The back is downhill and you could hear the water when trying to move it.
Is it advisable to drill a hole in the bottom, let out the water then proceed to dry it out? Hopefully the solar method so it can stay outside?
Problem is it is always raining this summer. If it's covered with a dark green tarp, could that do it? Thanks

Yes, turn the boat on its starboard side (down) and open the drain near the splash guard. As the boat is so heavy, you may need some extra muscle to get the boat on its side. Then wait for most of the water to drain. Proceed from there as Charles indicated. An extended dry-out phase may be required to get rid of the water currently absorbed in the foam etc.
Do search the Forum for details.

It can't be moved. I had strong people helping. Sorry for the ignorance but splash guard is in the front? That's the opposite side.

Drill a hole in the top of the transom just under the rub rail. You can patch
the hole later. With the water removed it's still going to be very heavy but
you should be able to flip it over with about 3 people. It's going to take a fan
and a couple inspection holes to get it anywhere near dried out. Humid conditions
are not going to help. Winter is the best time to do this.

"Drill a hole in the top of the transom just under the rub rail."

Where is transom and rub rail?
Is it on the bottom rear?

How about just drilling a hole where the most water will drain( in the case the transom by the rubrail!!) However not knowing what a transom or rubrail is...fixing a hole is going to be another obstical

If it's covered with a dark green tarp, could that do it?
To add strength to the hull, the interior of the hull is filled at the factory with a plastic foam. The foam can be saturated with water, and become a huge sponge. Even after draining the liquid water out through a 1/2" hole (which can sealed with a neoprene cork), the boat will still be unacceptably heavy.

It will take several months to dry this specimen out. You'll have to start with two large holes cut into the "top". Install "inspection ports", direct a fan into one opening, and add the dark green tarp to heat (and hasten) the process.

If you're not equipped with basic tools, it may be best to sell yours and locate a fresh dry Sunfish, already rebuilt. (A very active discussion being held here).

"Hearing water" isn't that rare with neglected Sunfish. You're sure the hull isn't chained (or rooted) to the ground? :confused:

There's unbelievable storms every day.
Can I put a hole in the back? Just to get the water out then be able to go from there with repairs,5 leak test... will it work?
can I sell this????

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 66
When I get to that stage of drilling inspection ports can I put a dehumidifier under the tarp wth the fan and light bulb?
Btw thanks for all the support and helpfulness

There's unbelievable storms every day.
Can I put a hole in the back? Just to get the water out then be able to go from there with repairs,5 leak test... will it work?
can I sell this????
Yes, you can put a hole in the back (stern). That's what Webfoot recommended in an earlier post.
And NO, you cannot sell this boat as is. Perhaps after you have dried out the hull and fixed the leaks...

;) This is sorta tongue-in-cheek, but snap-in (type) inspection ports are watertight. I'd be tempted to install two 4-inchers in the bottom of the hull. :eek: Protect the exposed holes against rainfall with card tables, then, when the boat can be turned over, allow the boat to dry out. :cool:

A Sunfish this heavy shouldn't be moved--IMHO.

Member jleonard99, are you following this discussion?

Back