Help! Used trailer with no docs!

F15EagleE

Hello all... I have a little problem here...
Apparently when I purchased my laser a week or so back, the trailer that came with it didnt have paperwork. The previous owner never registered the trailer and the man she purchased it from 7 years earlier passed away years ago.
I considered getting a "home made trailer" registration for it, but it requires all the receipts for the parts purchased to create the trailer. Suggestions on what to do? I cant go sailing my nice "new" laser till this is straightened out!
Thanks!
-Glenn

F15EagleE said:
Apparently when I purchased my laser a week or so back, the trailer that came with it didnt have paperwork. The previous owner never registered the trailer and the man she purchased it from 7 years earlier passed away years ago.
I considered getting a "home made trailer" registration for it, but it requires all the receipts for the parts purchased to create the trailer. Suggestions on what to do? I cant go sailing my nice "new" laser till this is straightened out!
Thanks!
-Glenn

Hello Glenn,
This is how I would approach it... Dunno if it will or how it would work for you. But this is what I would do.
First I'd see if I could find a help desk at the state transportation board to find out what you need to do to secure title of the trailer. Document who you spoke to, and answers given to your questions. Either on-line or via telephone, seek out a supervisor or manager there to see if they can tell you what steps you need to take to secure a title for your trailer, do some research on maybe a possible stat web site... ask lotsa of questions, Fire off emails (keep copies of them) to any possible help source, bug the heck out of them.
Have the previous owner sign an letter, make sure it contains the make, model number and serial number of the trailer previous owner, and any other further pertinent details) attesting to the orign of the trailer and get it notorized. Then go try again to apply for a title or replacement title. Depending on the contents of the letter of course.
Having done this and documented the efforts you've made to secure title, you'll should be able to beat any ticket that you might get from towing a unlicensed trailer....
Persistents pay's off and don't take no for an answer. Find out who is the next level of management if your getting stone walled from whomever your talking to.
Hope you get sailing soon.... and can you car top to get in some Lasering while you wait for ?
Good Luck,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

fishingmickey said:
Hello Glenn,
This is how I would approach it... Dunno if it will or how it would work for you. But this is what I would do.
First I'd see if I could find a help desk at the state transportation board to find out what you need to do to secure title of the trailer. Document who you spoke to, and answers given to your questions. Either on-line or via telephone, seek out a supervisor or manager there to see if they can tell you what steps you need to take to secure a title for your trailer, do some research on maybe a possible stat web site... ask lotsa of questions, Fire off emails (keep copies of them) to any possible help source, bug the heck out of them.
Have the previous owner sign an letter, make sure it contains the make, model number and serial number of the trailer previous owner, and any other further pertinent details) attesting to the orign of the trailer and get it notorized. Then go try again to apply for a title or replacement title. Depending on the contents of the letter of course.
Having done this and documented the efforts you've made to secure title, you'll should be able to beat any ticket that you might get from towing a unlicensed trailer....
Persistents pay's off and don't take no for an answer. Find out who is the next level of management if your getting stone walled from whomever your talking to.
Hope you get sailing soon.... and can you car top to get in some Lasering while you wait for ?
Good Luck,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Take it to the garage that you would normally have a vehicle safety check done ....... they will be able to give the trailer a once over and give you a safety certificate ....... this removes any doubts that the registration types might have regarding build quality. Good luck!

F15EagleE said:
Thanks!
-Glenn

I looked over the NY BMV and they look pretty strict. It looks like that in addition to a bill of sale you must have a title certificate if you bought the trailer in NY state, or for trailers older than 1972, a registration certificate. You say you don't have registration records. How about a title? Is there a vehicle number, VIN?

Here in Ohio you have the alternative of making a notarized statement and submitting a letter asking for a search of their records. At least find out the name of the gentleman who originally owned the trailer. You could try writing a letter to the title or registration section of the NY BMV and include all the information that you can gather--the original owner's name and address, the woman's name and address that you bought it from with a copy of the bill of sale, any vehicle numbers, and description of the trailer with weight and age.

Merrily

Here's what the NY BMV website says:
Trailers - model year 1973 or newer with an unladen weight of 1,000 lbs. or more

The acceptable proof of ownership is a NYS title certificate or the acceptable proof of ownership from another state, and a bill of sale. The person whose name appears on the proof of ownership must sign the transfer section of the proof of ownership.

If the trailer is registered in another state, contact that state to make sure that the proof of ownership you receive is the acceptable proof of ownership for that state.

Trailers - model year 1972 or older, or any trailer with an unladen weight of 999 lbs. or less

The acceptable proof of ownership is a transferable NYS registration or the acceptable proof of ownership from another state, and a bill of sale. The word "transferable" must appear on the front of the registration. The person whose name appears on the registration must sign the transfer section of the registration.

If the trailer is registered in another state, contact that state to make sure that the proof of ownership you receive is the acceptable proof of ownership for that state.

Merrily said:
I looked over the NY BMV and they look pretty strict. It looks like that in addition to a bill of sale you must have a title certificate if you bought the trailer in NY state, or for trailers older than 1972, a registration certificate. You say you don't have registration records. How about a title? Is there a vehicle number, VIN?

Here in Ohio you have the alternative of making a notarized statement and submitting a letter asking for a search of their records. At least find out the name of the gentleman who originally owned the trailer. You could try writing a letter to the title or registration section of the NY BMV and include all the information that you can gather--the original owner's name and address, the woman's name and address that you bought it from with a copy of the bill of sale, any vehicle numbers, and description of the trailer with weight and age.

Merrily

Here's what the NY BMV website says:
Trailers - model year 1973 or newer with an unladen weight of 1,000 lbs. or more

The acceptable proof of ownership is a NYS title certificate or the acceptable proof of ownership from another state, and a bill of sale. The person whose name appears on the proof of ownership must sign the transfer section of the proof of ownership.

Trailers - model year 1972 or older, or any trailer with an unladen weight of 999 lbs. or less

The acceptable proof of ownership is a transferable NYS registration or the acceptable proof of ownership from another state, and a bill of sale. The word "transferable" must appear on the front of the registration. The person whose name appears on the registration must sign the transfer section of the registration.

Thanks for all the input guys... Unfortunately the seller never registered the trailer and the previous owner passed away. As such there is no registration to use and trailers under 1000 lbs dont receive a title anyways. Only thing I can figure to do is try to register as a home made trailer. Fortunately, thats not too far from the truth as i have removed a lot of the stuff from it and rebuilt it. All i need to do is replace the bearings and the thing is, for all intents and purposes, built new.
While using a wire brush to remove the rust, I came across an old sticker that must have been a registration of sorts... I tried to salvage but the rust ate through and there wasnt any legible alphanumerics to read. Oh well, I ended up grinding it off with most of the rust elsewhere and primed it. Now all i need to do is get the thing weighed! (Funny part is there is no weigh station on the island I live on so I will have to pay the darn $9 toll to cross the bridge with it just to get weighed!!! haha)

If anyone else has any ideas or modifications that they have done to their trailer, Im certainly all ears...

-Glenn

Back