Help Needed from Rascal Owners

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by JillMB, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JillMB

JillMB New Member

Hi, I just picked up my first sail boat: a 1970 Rey Greene Rascal! I love it but it needs a lot of love. As it is everything is functioning but the rudder. I hope to really fix up the boat all shiny and I thought to start with the rudder. The one that came with the boat is not original… and is not savable… I plan to get one made but want to get as close to the original as possible. With very little info out on Rascals I'm hoping someone out there as one with an original rudder! Please, I need specs and pictures. I really want to do this right! Thanks!

2. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

My Rascal's an '84 so I'm not sure if it's the same. If you find out that it is, I'd be happy to send you any info you need on it.

3. JillMB

JillMB New Member

I was just about to give up hope and modify a Lido 14 rudder to fit.... My plan B. I would greatly appreciate any info you could send me: Dimensions and pictures. I'm thinking that so few Rascals were made that the design did not change. Other then my hope I could not find any info about this, like with anything else with the Rascal.

Have you had yours long? Do you have any original paperwork? I guess I just excited to talk to someone that actually knows what it is :)

4. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Hey there, Jill.
    I've had my Rascal for a few years, now. Unfortunately I don't have any paperwork save a brochure I found with a picture of mine on the internet. I looked and asked around for quite a while and didn't turn up anything on my boat. But I digress..
    I'm fully prepared to give you all the measurements and pics that you need! .... just as soon as I see my boat again. :( I'm so sorry, but you may have to start your renovation on something other than the rudder. I'm in Southeast Michigan and I keep my boat about 230 miles away in Traverse City, MI. If I keep it up there it can spend our wonderful Michigan winters warm and dry in a pole barn. The rudder I have is made out of laminated mahogany. It's a fairly simple design. Basically a rectangle with a radiused bottom. Two 1/4" aluminum plates create the union to the tiller and gudgeons.
    I'll see if I have any pics I can send you in the meantime, but I'm not planning to head back up to see her until around June. When I do, I'll bring the rudder assembly home with me and if you want we can meat out your plan.
    Happy renovating!

5. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

DSCF3243.JPG DSCF3244.JPG DSCF3245.JPG DSCF3246.JPG DSCF3242.JPG Here are some pics of mine. Not sure it's original, but my Rascal is a 70's Ray Greene. The rudder blade is some kind of fiberglass composite that's worn away to the point I get what feels like glass slivers when I touch it. I wish it were metal! I suspect it was fabricated as a replacement, as it looks a little crude around the edges. It does "kick up" for launching or beaching the boat. Hope this helps.

DSCF3239.JPG DSCF3240.JPG DSCF3241.JPG

6. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Steve,
    Your rudder blade looks to be a spot on match to mine as far as the shape, but everything else is different. I had fabricate a different tiller for mine since the one that came with my boat was so long that it would get in the way while tacking. Made my new one 1/2 as long and then put a quick release extention on the end. I'd be interested to find out if the dimensions for the rudder and the gudgeons are the same, though.
    Thanks for the pics.

7. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

My handle is quite long (didn't realize how long until I brought it inside and took those pictures) and has an extension on it. I find it handy when single handing as I can center my weight farther forward in the cockpit. BTW, I live in the Grand Haven area. Have spent some time on Duck/Green lakes (Interlochen) and Lower Herring Lake (south of Frankfort).

8. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

Thank you for sharing the pics. I lost my rudder today on my maiden sail when we capsized. Lesson for the day, make sure there's a cotter pin in the rudder.

9. Steve Namenye

Steve Namenye New Member

BUMMER! Sorry to hear of your misfortune! As you can see from my pics, my rudder has a pintle stop that keeps the pintles in the gudgeons. (Pins in the holes.) Can't remove the rudder without pressing the stop in.

10. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

Ah, so I see. That would've been nice (*sigh*). The prospect of replacing it is daunting. Any suggestions are welcome.

11. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Wow. That really sucks, Treedog. Let me know if I can do anything to help out. Shouldn't be that hard to replace. Why couldn't you just modify another rudder assembly by changing the locations of the pintles to fit your Rascal?

12. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

Yes, I already have one, and another offered up. The one I have is too small to modify, or at least seems like it would not work well if I did. And I haven't given up recovering the lost one yet - we plan on snorkeling out there this weekend, and it was shallow water - although that is an admitted long shot.

Thank you for the offer, I may be back to you for advice yet!

13. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

..Ha! You're not close, are you? I'm a scuba diver with salvage experience. I'd love to go on a hunt!

14. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

No, upstate New York, near Albany. We talked about getting tanks, and may resort to that yet!

I have to ask you about getting the boat off the trailer. We had a devil of a time with the keel, which dropped down in between the crossbeams, stopping the boat from sliding off. It is not a stock trailer that came with the boat, but that shouldn't matter, should it? Is there some way to (easily) retract the centerboard and LOCK it into place?

Hmmm, maybe I should look into renting tanks. Cheaper and easier than fabricating a new rudder, and more fun...

Thanks for the help!

15. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

Have a look at my pic. I have a line connected to my centerboard that comes up and goes through a jamb-cleat that locks it in the upright position. I would think you would have something similar on your boat? I pull the fore-most line to lower it, and the aft line to raise it. I had the same problem as you when I first got the boat and didn't make sure the aft line was locked and got a nice ding in my centerboard when it smacked on the trailer axle.
    If you decide to rent tanks, be careful if you're not certified and don't go alone. Even in very shallow water, people can get into trouble. Good luck and be safe.
    [​IMG]

16. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

Well snorkeling around in the milfoil didn't help any, it's only eight feet deep but visibility is literally 2-3 feet. Looks like I'm going to have to go another route. Thank you for the pic, mine isn't nearly in as good shape. But I believe I have a similar set-up.
    Thanks for all the help, I'll be back!

17. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

Can I trouble you to provide dimensions of the rudder, length & width? I think I can sort of fudge in the rest, relying on the distance between the gudgeons to make everything else fit. I have someone helping to build a new one.

18. Michael Rosso

Michael Rosso Brakewind

I have no problem at all giving you any information you might need... all I ask in return is a bit of patience. Unfortunately I keep my boat up near Torch Lake, MI. That's about 230 miles north of my home. All is not lost, though. I'm planning on going up a week from today with a buddy to do some fly-fishing and ... wait for it.... sailing. :)
    If you let me know what you need, I'd be more than happy to provide it for you. radius, taper, thickness, you name it. Hopefully that won't be too long for you to wait. I'm sure if I was in your shoes I'd be anxious to get back on the water..

19. TreeDog321

TreeDog321 New Member

So little to ask in return!
    I figure I don't need to duplicate yours, just get to something that matches in functionality. That said, taper never even occurred to me.

And this gives me another chance to scout for my lost one this weekend. I'm renting tanks and getting serious, dammit.

Thank you for the help. Enjoy the fly fishing on the lake, sounds great!

20. electromechanical

electromechanical New Member

Hey Jill,
    I have a Rascal with lime green hull, and lime green and yellow sail (I bought it because of the colors, as if I need another boat). It is all original. I will take pictures of my rudder and send you the measurements. I dug up a little info on the boat (there's very little) last year and I'll try to find it and post it.