Helium in the hull

Is it legal/possible to displace the air in my hull with helium thereby making it lighter and faster. Anyone try this yet?

I don't think it's physically possible to get your hull air tight enough to pressurize it with helium :confused:

You'll have a really hi pitched voice when calling 'STARBOARD' though!

Put some balloon-like objects in the hull and fill those up with helium. Is it legal? No: altering the characteristics (including weight) of the boat is prohibited. Nevertheless it would be fun to try. Do it on a wavy windy day and see if you can airlift it!
GWF

helium doesnt really have that much lift. to lift an adult person takes hundreds if not thousands of normal sized ballons. filling the hull with ballons could maybe lift a couple onces

A cubic foot of helium lifts approx .063 lbs

It would be more effective to take some Xlax and crap the weight out of yourself

Better yet, fill that sucker with Hydrogen. Name it the Hindenberg and don't sail in Jersey.:D

73657 said:
Is it legal/possible to displace the air in my hull with helium thereby making it lighter and faster. Anyone try this yet?

This guy is a troll. He has made the most outrageous posts on this forum. First "painting laser sails" now "helium in hulls". Ignore him.

rock steady said:
This guy is a troll. He has made the most outrageous posts on this forum. First "painting laser sails" now "helium in hulls". Ignore him.

lets give him a couple more chances

Simple lesson here. Push the envelope. Work harder than the rest and think outside the box. It's too easy to follow what others have written. Yes, learn from them but take it to the next level. There was a time back when rock steady was just out of diapers that the subject of "other gasses" in the hull and actually using kinetic movement to work with the boat was discussed. Back then the only one who thought the internet was more than a joke was our old friend Al. The class and sport evolve because of such "outrageous" ideas. A troll.....maybe.........or maybe not. Follow Rock Steady, follow.......all the way around the course to the finish line.

73657 said:
Simple lesson here. Push the envelope.

Right on; let's consider canting daggerboards next! As I understand it, a diesel motor is running all the time to drive the canting keels on Wild Oates, Alpha Romeo etc, but I am sure we can come up with something more clever. Substitute hydrogen for helium in the hull and have a fuse ready ;) .....

What about a thin bank of batteries powering a mini jet-propulsion system? That should get you planing a bit, I would think!

Back