Grammar and spelling scrap

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by gouvernail, Mar 9, 2008.

1. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

just as it has in the passed, the pore righting makes me grown. Aisle kneat two wright a post and chute it in two the heir. Their aloud but they aught two bee moor care full. I must wine about watt they mist. When they come pose there posts, wood it bee two much too expect our airs who are now almost groan men two chews proper use of sum of hour most basic homonyms ??

Inn summery: Its hi thyme they dew.

2. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

Re: Is it really a one design class?

Guess what? I don't care!!:eek: Do you have anything more constructive to do then play English teacher. Seriously I'm sick and tired of people putting these stupid comets about grammar. You know what I have to say to you knit pickers? GET OVER IT :eek:

3. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

Honestly, I don't see why either of you care. We all love and sail LASERS!!!!!!!! Why can't we all just get along?:eek:

4. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Uh, you can't bee, (get it, I said bee) serious. There, (not their) is a lot of technique involved in sailing a Laser. If you think one more inch of extension in hiking in a laser does not make as big a difference in the Laser as a star then ask Andy Campbell's opinion.

5. Scott B

Scott B Member

Well said.

6. captainJack987

You too? don't be a grubby little nit picker, it's a number one way to piss someone off when you put some grammar crap about their postings.

7. Scott B

Scott B Member

Not to mention reading the crappy grammar........

8. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

I don't care much. I found a neat website with a huge list of Homonyms and I couldn't resist wasting some time.

I do think some of our youngsters would likely be able to secure higher paying jobs if their grammar were more impressive.

Folks with higher paying jobs not only have more funds for sailing, they are more likely to pick up the check at dinner.

If Ross improves his grammar, It may increase the frequency of our encounters over the rest of our lives. He sails. I like big fleets.

It's a win win.

Same goes for the rest of the kids. Better grammar + better jobs = more sailing.

And of course...The reality. If I see dumbass grammar in a post I can't help but think...The writer just isn't all that bright.

I know I probably shouldn't do that but I do.

I see a simple misuse of their / there/ they're and think, "A stupid guy wrote that."

No offense intended. Just hard truth.

and

I know I am NOT the only one who has that prejudice.

Good grammar never hurt anybody.
    My smart asses post was intended to help.

really.

And my lousy typing makes me look dumb too...I own that one...

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Hey! Hey! Are you calling me a dumbass?

And besides, hasn't it been said here that we don't need to up to college level proper english? Only that a little bit of punctuation is nice?

10. Deimos

Deimos Member

This is a supposedly international forum (i.e. not just for the Americans – and not everybody here is a native English speaker. For those who are not native English speakers, please keep posting and congratulations of your efforts. English is a difficult language and whilst some might not appreciate that, for me it is what you are saying not how your are saying it.

I have actually met some people who are exceptionally intelligent and very wealthy who had very poor English grammar (they were French and Dutch). There is more to life than the English speaking US.

[FONT=&quot]Ian[/FONT]

11. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Here, here! Or is it hear, hear?

Anyway, well said, Ian.

Fred, keep tilting at the grammar windmill for those American kids, especially the frequent posters. Just don't scare off the newbies.

12. captainJack987

Can you just lay, off it ruins it for everyone when you are b$#ching about everyone elses grammar. Were suppsosed to talk about sailing not rag on peoples grammar.

13. Scott B

Scott B Member

We're not talking college level here - this stuff was taught in 6th grade.

14. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

This is a perfrect example of another thing wrong in today's society. Kids, (yes, you guys are kids) having 0 respect for elders trying to offer some advice that will do nothing but help them with their future.

There is nothing like a well written, well thought out document to help you get what you want. When Ross decides to get his campaign in gear he will probably want to send letters to perspective clients/donors/sponsors for his campaign. If they are poorly written he'll have little chance of procuring any money/assistance from those folks.

Why not practice now?

15. Merrily

Ain't it Slingsby, Robbo? :D

And is it really a one-design class? (Advanced hyphenating demo)

16. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

My bad. I forgot we are not a "true" OD class!

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Don't worry, I use spell check!

18. GeoffS

GeoffS Member

Wow, talk about a thread going off the rails... :eek:

19. Merrily

Ha! I was only meaning to get the thread back on track, and hyphenate. I love to hyphenate. If there is a class that is more truly one design than the Laser, I'd like to hear about it.

20. captainJack987

No ones perfect and you should realize that. I know you probably mean well but we have to remember this is just a forum.:eek: