Genoa jib for racing

sugranes

I am preparing my Capri 14.2 mod 2 (1993) for racing. I am planning to buy a new set of sails. I need advice on the following questions: how many reef points are better for racing? How many batterns? Should I buy a standard jib (100%) , or a genoa (110%, 115%, or 120%) ? I have a furling on my jib.

I'm afraid you have to conform to the class rules for our boat's sails; check the specifications in Drawing 4, page 15 of the C14 Handbook. There's a button to download it at the top of the forum page, just under the C14 banner.

-- Ed

Exactly right

Chemprof was right on. Class rules apply and everyone wants as much sail as possible. From my many years of racing in various classes I have found that the boats in the front of the fleet usually have sails from one or two sail makers. In other words, it is wise to see what the fleet champions are using these days in the class before purchasing sails that you will be unhappy with for racing. Cursing is entirely different, but don't try to save a few bucks on sails if you want to keep up with the leaders when racing. Sail makers who specialize in a particular class spend a lot of time and energy getting things just right and will give you instructions for their proper adjustment (tuning).

Racing sails for Capri 14.2

Jim, Thanks for the feedback. I am looking for a new sails set for my Catalina Capri 14.2
mod2 for racing. I found a company named Slo Sails in California that make racing sails for my boat at a very competitive price:

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet/the-Sails-cln-Catalina-Capri-14.2/Categories

See this link and give me your thoughts on their racing sails. Can you recommend me another similar sails manufacturer for my boat?

Best regards,
Jorge

I bet Jim will mention North and Quantum sails. There's also Solbstad sails. His point is a good one about checking what sails you see on the fastest C14's.

Racing sails

I purchased a Mainsail from Slo and it was promised for a particular date. It did not come and I called a few times and sent emails and in the end communications did break down. I got no emails and he didn't return my calls. Weeks went by. I sailed a regatta with my old sail. When I finally got the sail it was of good quality workmanship and the exact size I had ordered, but I am not entirely happy with the material. I am also not convinced it is faster than my old sail. I think you would not be happy with Slo if you are racing. Chemprof is right, and also;
http://www.capri14.org/index.php?page=scottsails

PS To explain better what I didn't like about the material. It had a hard finish that affects the “hand”, or feel, of the material. It seemed to have an extremely highly resinated finish. that is good for stability, but after use that will break down and then the sail will begin to change shape. I think they may save money by using a poorer quality resin. It is also the nosiest sail I have ever encountered!

Anyone using the Scott Sails mentioned above? I'd seen the referenced post before and wondered.

Looks like they were the top dog up through 2008. Any SD sailors using them now?

Jim, resin-saturated, board-stiff sails are fast. And the louder the better. What you describe sounds like a race-quality Dacron sail material. Race Dacron is nothing like the material used in the OEM sails.

People typically use the word, "hand" when describing the suppleness of line. But that's the exact opposite of what your looking for in upwind sails.

Not trying to give ya a hard time. Just wanna let you know that you may be better off than you think.

I had one set of reefing point sewn into my old original mainsail. I have only needed to reef the main twice and it works just fine, but they are not exactly straight. The end of the boom sits more than a foot higher up then the mast end of the boom.

I would be eager to get a new set of sails with original reefing points. Really, two rows of reefing points would probably be better than one. It would give you more options of sailing on the really blustery days and still maintain control.

I have been watching the Everglades Challenge online and seeing many racers commented that they wished they had more reefing points. They started the race with 20+ mph head winds with various types of kayaks and sailing boats, later in the race had 30+ winds from other directions, with gusts into the 40's. Many of the sailing boats were overpowered.

Main site:
http://watertribe.org/

discussion page:
http://watertribe.org/forums/

-Robert

Sails material

Does any one has experience with the heavily resinated Cloth Material: Dimension-Polyant 4 ounce Square Weave Ripstop cloth (also called 170 SQ HTP+)? Is this material good for racing sails? should I expect a significant difference over the traditional Dacron?

Back