Gelcoat repair

wmbass

I recently rapaired a small gelcoat chip on the bottom corner of the stern (below the rudder). I repaired the chip with a standard white gelcoate repair kit I obtained from the local boat store. After the putty hardened, I noticed the color is quite a bit off from the stark white hull of the laser (a dark beige). Is there something else that needs to be added on top of the gel coat repair to blend it into the hull, like a paint. Structurally it is fine, but to the eye it is an ugly looking scar. :)

Was there a better product that I should have used that is designed specifically for lasers?

Thanks.

Well, I'm not so sure if there is a specifically made gelcoat repair kit for the Laser, however, if you go to you nearest Vanguard dealer they can sell you the factory paint that will match your boat perfectly.

Oh my. Am I ever dumb. I fell SOOOOO embarrassed. I thought you started the thread. :/

hey, well your canadian, we can tolerate it :) i'm kidding

Im%20With%20Stupid.gif

Just a note for UK sailors doing hull work: Rooster Sailing and Laser Centre will both sell you gelcoat for laser hull colours.

Because paint will come off and is slower than gelcoat. Paint will also decrease the value of a hull in otherwise good condition.

not if you do a good job of it :)

Take my brother, for example. He and his instructor, Andrew Scrivan(sp?), now one of the top laser sailors in the US, sanded his blades down through the gelcoat. No idea why, but very soon, this was banned, so before my brother sold his boat, he spray painted them white, and it worked :)

See? Paint is cool :)

Sorry to post on such an old thread but I didn't feel like starting a new one.

I have a little damage spot on my deck that is smaller than a dime. I have the gelcoat from Vanguard to match the color of my boat. (1) What do I apply the gelcoat with? (2) Do I need to add anything to the gelcoat? (3) How does the gelcoat dry and how long does it take?

Thanks!

Gelcoat requires a polyester catalyst to set.
Mix the catalyst in and use a paint brush or thin stick to apply it. Then sand down with ever finer grit wet and dry.

Most gelcoats require a hardner, unless that is what a polyester catalyst is. I do not know what one of those is. I've come up with a few steps which will make your foil look like new again. Now I just read an article about this in U.S. Sailing's Junior Sailor, so it must be reliable.

1. Sand the area of the scrath lightly so you clear of the area and make it smooth, except for the scratch, of course.
2. Mix a gelcoat to the perfect color. Remember, most gelcoats tend to be a bit darker when they are wet.
3. Use masking tape and apply around the scratch so you don't put gelcoat on where it doesn't need to be.
4. Apply gelcoat using spray method or with a brush. Gelcoat to hardner ratio: 1 tablspn gelcoat:4-5 drops of hardner
5. Right after you put the gelcoat on, put a sheet of wax paper over it. This will give a smooth finish.
6. Let dry over night.
7. Sand lightly untill smooth. 200 grit at first and work your way untill 400 or 600 grit. Not too hard tho.

Wow, thanks. Now I can fix that nasty spot on my board, but what do you mean about putting duct tape on it. Should I do the wax paper thing on my deck.

You simply put tape around the area so you can spray the gelcoat on without it getting it on the rest of the board.

As for the deck, I don't think the wax paper thing will do any good because it will make the area smooth where grip should be. I don't know where but you could try to get a deck grip pattern that matches the grip on the deck.

polyester catalyst is a hardener for polyester (fibreglass and gelcoat) resin. Make sure you get polyester hardener rather than epoxy hardener...

$30 a pint for an exact color match (guessing you are talking about a Vanguard supplied gelcoat) is not that bad, unless cosmetics don't matter to you.

If they don't, then go get a pint or quart of poly resin for $5-10 (hardner included) get some coloring agent for a couple of bucks and mix it up

If you cant see the repair area, just get normal white gelcoat filler. After a seasons sailing, it will fade and the difference will be barely noticable (it will be obvious if used on the top side of the hull)

Back