Gaff Halyard Placement - Going to Extremes

Buscemi_Steven

Hi everyone - read and appreciated this forum for long time. Figured overdue to dive in.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on gaff halyard placement. I know most tuning guides suggest somewhere around 106-7" as measured from the black cap by the tack of sail. I understand that lowering this position to raise sail vertically adds power. My question is: how far can you conceivably lower the halyard placement?

I sail mostly in NE United States on smaller lakes. Summer breezes tend to be variable, between 3-10 knots and shifty. I weigh in at 180 pounds and usual sail against lighter competition, which is to say that every breath of air counts!

Recent light air race I had halyard set to 104" but noticed competitors set to possibly 100" or lower... how low can ya go?!

I don't know of any serious racers who move it more than maybe an inch from the recommended location, but you should experiment and see what happens. The center of effort of the sail is balanced at the recommended locations which is one reason for keeping it close to there.

...I understand that lowering this position to raise sail vertically adds power. My question is: how far can you conceivably lower the halyard placement?

Maybe I'm off base, but doesn't raising the sail higher off the deck decrease power?

Maybe I'm off base, but doesn't raising the sail higher off the deck decrease power?
Yes, you are right. I think he is working on the theory that I have heard that in very light air there is a bit more wind aloft than at water level, so raising the rig can get the sail in more breeze. I have no idea if that is correct or not. BB

Reactions: tag

Back