Class Politics Full Rig Option for Great Grand Masters in Oman

Mrs. P

Any Great Grand Masters planning to attend the Laser Master Worlds in Oman (light air) who would like to add their names to a petition for a full rig option?

So far, we have 9 GGMs wanting to sail a full rig in Oman (3 USA; 1 AUS; 2 CAN; 2 NZL; 1 UAE).

Another possible change to Masters sailing that is bouncing around the cybersphere is to change the age brackets from 35, 45, 55, 65 to 40, 50, 60, 70.

Things have changed a lot since Laser Masters sailing started in 1980. The thought back then was that nobody over 65 would be able to sail a Laser, and there wasn't a GGM division at all originally. Now people, especially Laser sailors, are fitter and staying active longer. 35-year-olds are still in their prime as Laser sailors and the top guys of that age are still campaigning at the highest levels of our sport. So 40 would be a much more sensible age to start Masters sailing.

I support allowing GGMs to sail full rigs in Oman (I think Mrs P. already has me in her numbers) AND changing the age brackets as described above.

I suggest contacting "Middle Harbour Amateur Sailing Club" via their website and getting them to contact the rest of the Australian Masters fleet. that club alone should have about 5 GGM attending the worlds, most of whom normally sail a full rig.

Another possible change to Masters sailing that is bouncing around the cybersphere is to change the age brackets from 35, 45, 55, 65 to 40, 50, 60, 70.

Things have changed a lot since Laser Masters sailing started in 1980. The thought back then was that nobody over 65 would be able to sail a Laser, and there wasn't a GGM division at all originally. Now people, especially Laser sailors, are fitter and staying active longer. 35-year-olds are still in their prime as Laser sailors and the top guys of that age are still campaigning at the highest levels of our sport. So 40 would be a much more sensible age to start Masters sailing.

I support allowing GGMs to sail full rigs in Oman (I think Mrs P. already has me in her numbers) AND changing the age brackets as described above.

Please tell me thats not gonna happen - UK sailing for those of us not in squads who are over 25/30 in radials sucks at national level. I am fed up with racing 14 yr old brats and can't wait to get into the masters circuit (couple of years to wait still) where people are socialable, have better rules observance and just generally enjoy their sailing more! Here so many of the kids are so determined to get in a squad there is a sizeable majority who are a nightmare to race (obviously there are some great kids too, they're just outnumbered). Plus as everyone takes the events soo seriously there is absolutely no social to our national level events anymore. (Local events are still great thankfully)

Please tell me thats not gonna happen - UK sailing for those of us not in sover 25/30 in radials sucks at national level. I am fed up with racing 14 yr old brats and can't wait to get into the masters circuit (couple of years to wait still) where people are socialable, have better rules observance and just generally enjoy their sailing more! Here so many of the kids are so determined to get in a squad there is a sizeable majority who are a nightmare to race (obviously there are some great kids too, they're just outnumbered). Plus as everyone takes the events soo seriously there is absolutely no social to our national level events anymore. (Local events are still great thankfully)

I was the same, couldn't wait to be old enough to sail masters events - now an Apprentice and loving it. I can't see how making masters sailing more exclusive by raising the minimum age would be a good move for the class, if anything we should be looking to allow the 30-35 year olds to join in as well. For every Olympian in that age group there are probably fifty regular sailors waiting for their chance to join in. Changing the age brackets to keep the younger hotshots out doesn't make sense anyway, there are top sailors at every age level that keep the rest of us aiming higher. The more the merrier.

It's hard enough to get people to come out and sail these days. Now add more restrictions on top of that?

Suppose we add an age category for 30-35. What would we call it? Laser Intern?

Maybe tbey don't race for points? No, that would be stupid.

Back