Frustrated with Craigslist

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by Throwdown, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throwdown

Throwdown Member

So, I'm a newbie, trying to buy a fishie. I have responded to every single Sunfish ad, within 200 miles of my house, about 15 so far. Two that I went to see that were advertised as Sunfishes were not Sunfishes, one a dolphin and one a sailfish. The rest, except for one, has not responded, either by email or phone call, but they keep reposting, even sailboat stores! I feel like the girl in Pretty Woman....so how long did it take you to find the perfect, or not so perfect one? And how did you eventually find them?

2. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

The problem is that "Sunfish" has almost become a generic term for any small, sailboat. and people on CraigsList often mis-lable what they are selling and you end up driving 3 hours only to find that the "Sunfish" described is a Mallard or some such thing. Demand photos to make sure that what you are looking at is actually a Sunfish and not a Sunfish clone or something different altogether. Problems notwithstanding, CraigsList is still the best way to buy or sell a small sailboat.

Alan Glos

3. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

What area of the country are you looking? If you are near New England I can help finding a Sunfish.

4. Throwdown

Throwdown Member

No, not even close, all the way down inTexas, where it's just starting to get good and warm and we can sail year round:cool:

5. sblanck

sblanck Member

I am in Austin and picked up a mini sunfish and a sailfish from one guy. I do see the same boats on CL everyday.

6. minifish2

minifish2 Active Member

Best bet is always an active sailing club. We are not in Texas but at our club we will always make sure that anyone interested in sailing at our club is able to obtain a decent boat. Sometimes the boats aren't even listed for sale, but members have an extra or old boat not sitting unused, or members move. Plus everyone knows the boats and nobody wants to give a bad impression, so people will likely be forthcoming about any negatives.

7. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Try posting a Want To Buy ad on Craigslist. Get a Craigslist alert app. Check sailingtexas website. Check ebay. Ask for a picture. Call a few yacht clubs and marinas. Drive to Pensacola we have 3 here....

Which part of Texas?

8. Throwdown

Throwdown Member

New Braunfels, home of Schlitterbahn, do you need a road trip?

9. signal charlie

signal charlie Active Member Staff Member

Hmm, No...but 5 just popped up on Chattanooga craigslist.....

10. Throwdown

Throwdown Member

Finally found one near dried up Medina lake!

• Like Like x 1
  11. upnorthduck

upnorthduck New Member

In the spring, sunfish sprout like mushrooms on Northern Michigan Craigslist. Always a deal to be found.:D

12. Fletch101e

Fletch101e New Member

As mentioned , use something to give you alerts as soon as the ad posts. I kept missing boats as some would go fast unless they were $$$ or junk. DON'T use Google alerts as it was way too slow..in fact after I did find my boat, I got it home that night, came inside and about an hour + later, got the Alert from Google. I can find what I used, if you don'
    t already have something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.