Frozen bailer

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by water rat, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Ya know...I"ve got a DePersia bailer in my 69 fish, that I got unfrozen, after my acquisition of the boat. It doesn't have the little ball in it, but that would only affect it when I'm not going fast enough. But I just want to add, I don't think the bailer really works all that well. The openings aren't really that large on the bailer and I've been "humming" along and the water doesn't go out all that fast. I only like it because it is metal. I sail on KY Lake and even with 15+ knots of wind, don't take all that much water into the cockpit. At some point I might stick in one of the Anderson bailers...and definitely before I put in the plastic one now offered. In a capsize a scooper does much better anyway.
    I basically only open the bailer when it's sitting on the trailer, so rain water has an escape route

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
  2. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I'm surprised no one has found a PVC plug that fits, that could replicate these outrageously priced screw on caps. I have no idea of the thread size, but it all seems unique, down to the nut size, to these bailers
    Maybe I'll take mine into Home Depot one day and see what they have...or a plumbing center.

3. water rat

water rat Member

Spray and Pray. I' spraying and taping it 3 times a day. Plan to do it till we get wind. Can't help but wonder why no one has made a stainless steel bailer. . It would be alot stronger then a plastic one . There are more than 120 grades of stainless and it could be made of a moderate cost one which with proper care would probably do the trick if the fish owner realized that stain less does not stand for rust or corrosion free..and a fresh water bath and wipe down is mandatory. . . The big question mark is...the size of the market for it.

4. water rat

water rat Member

Glad to hear that. I am on the west coast of Florida and having run a kayak touring comany[ have plenty of hand pumps on hand

5. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

They've been made with plastic for 40+ years vs only 20 years or so made with metal. Since there hasn't seemed to be a proven need to change from plastic yet, my guess is it's a pretty limited market and marketing it would be cost-prohibitive given the small number of likely sales.

6. water rat

water rat Member

I think your right..the market isn't there

7. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

could the new Asian boat surprise us?

8. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

I carried the threaded plastic Sunfish bailer part to Home Depot's plumbing aisles, and compared with everything they had. :cool:

Nothing fit. :confused:

9. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I think they're different size from the metal

10. water rat

water rat Member

A major key to manufdacturing in Asia is to have your own people on the staff there. American tent makers were among the fist to do this.. and in one case two of them ended up using the same factory..and they and others continue to turn out quality products. A lot of Rolex watch cases are made by Sea Gull in China..Timex and Seko have built a joint factory there. Yes, a lot of crap is still made there.. If laser is hard ass on quality control with their own people riding herd and the final product is not super heavy they may have a winner especialy if the price point is lower then what the fiberglass boats sell for.. Plastic cannot be formed as easy as fiberglass and there are other composite materials entering the small boat world so the future could be interesting.

11. Charles Howard

Charles Howard Member

Sunfish are a one design boat with boats only produced by one manufacturer to keep it one design. As Beldar said the plastic bailer have been around 40 years as is approved bailer for the class. You could put a old bailer on as it was approved at one time. You certainly can modify things on your boat but you would not be able to race if the parts did not come from the manufacturer as it is not following the one design. Modifying also hurts your ability for resale. We see on this forum all the time where people have made rudders, centerboards and other modifications which is fine for them but then when it comes to sell the people on the forum point out changes, the new buyer does not want a modified boat.

12. water rat

water rat Member

My racing days are over and the only modification I have made is an inspection port. I may ad a hiking strap.It's a 68...two years shy of being 50 and an antique. Me...I'm in my 8th decade and I am an antique.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

For those looking for a DePersia bailer replacement cap, you can use a 2" Garboard plug, They cost $2.00 and can be found online or at True Value hardware stores in the pluming section.
    Sea Choice also makes them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. water rat

water rat Member

Will File..many thanks..still in the spray and pray stagfe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  15. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I suppose you could put that on a drill press and drill out the center...and then a couple of horizontal holes thru the threads, to emulate the original cap. However, unless the threads are tapered, it won't completely seal shut like the original with the "knarled cap" with the rubber O ring gasket.

16. Light and Variable Winds

West Marine says their garboard plugs are tapered. (NPT)

17. Light and Variable Winds

Now that I'm in full recovery from total knee replacement, I feel like I'm 68 again!;)

• Like Like x 1