Frostbitting

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Goonie, Oct 22, 2002.

1. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

2. will162878

will162878 New Member

Seriously though, light winds are good for really getting afeel for the boat and how it reacts to everything.

3. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

Yes, deffinately. It is also a great time to learn and to practice your weight distrabution strategies. This just means where on the boat you sit. In light winds, this can make a BIG differeance.

4. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

you guys must come from the ocean. the only time that I get to plane in a boat is during the winter. We never get wind in the summer.

5. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

heh...i feel bad for you.

6. will162878

will162878 New Member

Don't you ever get 10+knts?

7. will162878

will162878 New Member

So you dont have to hike either? I could get used to that...

8. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

I wish I could hike some. Let me put it this way: when it starts to white cap (12 kts) which isnt' often, people think it's too much wind and don't go out.

9. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

heh now thats funny. At my training with my team, when it is about 20knts or more, our coach doesnt let any of the little kids out. But she does let me and a few others go out with an assistant coach just for fun. So one day last year when the wind was about 25knts, we rigged up a 420 and on a beam reach we got on plane in like a second and we outran the 13ft whaler with a 40 hp engine. We train one this small lake and one time as we were coming across a small point we flew off this wave and we were headed towards this point at like 20knts and i thought we were about to crash for a minute......aww good times

10. will162878

will162878 New Member

We start putting instructors in boats at 25knts and cancel at 30+.

11. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

I have no problems in going out in15kts steady with gusts of 20kts in a radial/snipe (mabye not in winter), but I wouldn't know anything about what 25 looks like. I can't even imagine 30kts.

Light air does teach you to be patient, though.

12. will162878

will162878 New Member

...and strong winds teach you fast reflexes!

13. macwas16

macwas16 New Member

and teaches you how to swim!!...if you don't already know of course

14. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

Big air is fun, but things break easier.

15. pzl&24

pzl&24 New Member

hey then my town is big fun i sail wednesday thursday friday saturday and sunday in the week we have winds of 15 to 23 knts and its strange cause in weekends we have no darn wind well about 7 knts if you are lucky but weekends is when i sail all day but most of the time is boring but in the week is really big fun

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

last weekend was supposed to be 25-30 kts, its was windy, and i sailed (but i dont think it was quite 30 kts! :p). It picked up some more and was a steady 30 kts (i think). I wouldv gone out, but there was no safety boat cover :(

Its annoying - most racing is done in mindy conditions, you have to be good in medium to heavy weather to do well in big events. Thats why ive really concentrated on heavy wind sailing.

17. Kragen

Kragen New Member

UGG! that last post was by me btwl, i forgot to sign in :(

18. laser161116

laser161116 New Member

always good to make a safety call when there isn't a safety boat-especailly in 30 kts. can the laser rigging handle 30 kts

19. Kragen

Kragen New Member

If your rigging is good enough - yes, if not, well my cuninghap needed a bit of repair on the sunday and a batten popped out - since then ive replaced my traveler and one of my cuningham ropes! :)

20. will162878

will162878 New Member

Modern ropes wont snap unless they are heavily abraded/worn through. (A 2mm dyneema rope (like my cunningham primary) will lift an average family car.)