front wheel for trailer

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by mixmkr, Jul 12, 2017.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Good idea. A piece of a leaf spring would be perfect. The bottom of my trailer tongue has an "V" shaped piece of metal, meant to set the trailer end down on. Attaching to that....facing aft, would be perfect.
    I'm wondering if the empty trailer will be easy to pull up a slight uphill, gravel beach, without the boat on it to help lighten the tongue load.
    No wind today so I didn't test things out

2. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

In that case, you'd definitely need a skid. :eek:

Does this question mean the trailer can't be left in place until after your sail? :confused:

If there are trees to the left and right, you could attach a "snatch-block" to a tree, and tow the trailer uphill, so it's out of the way of others using the ramp. A line with a carabiner and a bowline knot would make attaching the snatch-block to trees easier.

You might find a cheap snatch-block attached to your come-a-long. ;)

rough country jeep winch snatch block, 16,000 lb. rated line pull - rc-rs125 - Google Search

Can you tell its been cloudy, misty, and cold here these past few days?

3. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I could bend a small sappling over...like in the Tarzan movies. Kinetic energy, transferred to fling a trailer out of the lake!!

Not cold and misty.....but no wind here too :-/

4. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Active Member

Check out the wheels from the Vermont guy in this image.

Attached Files:

5. Light and Variable Winds

IMHO, he's asking too much of the gudgeon. :eek:

6. Light and Variable Winds

If the spring has a hole in one end--even better!

(I think...never having drilled a leaf spring before--maybe try grinding).

Tie your tow rope to the hole, drill a second hole to mount to the "V" stand, and the leaf spring will steer the trailer.
    :cool:

Maybe, instead, epoxy a bunch of battens together?

7. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Yeah.... I think Im just over thinking this. There's been NO wind this week to even bother launching but I have an easy gravel ramp I'll try first with this method. As mentioned I'll just slide the boat back on the trailer until I have almost zero tongue weight. Then just count on my tongue Jack to not jam and bend.( Its $25 style).keeping an eye on things while I tow that 25-30 ft. If I bust the Jack one day I'll buy another...maybe stronger with the 8" wheel on some. That plan sounds most convenient and workable. ..without all kinds of extra stuff dangling from the trailer tongue. Maybe I'll make a video!!

8. Eddie_E

Eddie_E New Member

9. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

The dollys are great for level ground....not sure about pulling out of the water on a gravel shoreline.
    I just went ahead and got this... I can use the existing one on another trailer I have. I've seen these...minimum play, 8" wheel... the best tongue jack I've seen short of the electric ones or fancy swivels.
    FULTON 1,500 lb Bolt-Through Swivel Jack | West Marine

10. Light and Variable Winds

To go with the leaf spring--what I had in mind--using a spare hitch ball:

Picasa 3 8132013 24221 AM.jpg

11. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Was thinking along those lines too. Tongue Jack arrives tomorrow. Thought best as it can roll easily both ways...and serve as a tongue Jack too!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Light and Variable Winds

Sometimes, in locales of heavy trailer use, they can be found at yard sales. Note the price tag:

[​IMG]

13. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

My new heavy duty tongue Jack worked like a champ. I left the boat back on the trailer about two feet when pulling out to have almost no tongue weight and used about 30 ft of 3 strand 1/2" nylon dock line as a tow line so I didn't have to back down over the gravel shore . I was going to make a movie but didn't want to make one with me dragging my boat across the rocks! As you can see the gravel at this launch is constantly washed ashore to about a 8" depth... Totally loose and like quicksand to car tires. My trailer just pulled over the top and towed/pulled out effortlessly. I'm a happy camper.

Attached Files:

14. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

lots of access areas like this that aren't "official" ramps but choice locations on the lake to put in.

Attached Files: