Forum organization

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by NightSailor, May 5, 2009.

?

Would you like to see Sunfish Talk broken into two sections: 'Sailing' and 'Repairs'?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Memnar

Memnar Member

This forum seems more about restoring Sunfish than sailing them.

When I want to read about sailing it better, I usually go over to the Laser forum and read.

It would be nice to have a section about sailing vs restoring the old girls...

-Erik

2. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

Erik,

You are 100% correct. I requested that the forum topic areas be split up. I proposed some divisions, in particular I suggested that there be divisions for repair, racing, and some regional areas. I was shot down in flames. I was attacked from all sides, and there was no debate on the subject and no interest on the part of the webmaster to make any changes--although one person said these were in the works.

You are about the only one who cared to respond to the specific topic I proposed--reorganizing the forum.

Instead we are stuck with one general topic area with 2000 threads. No indications of any change or improvement. Perhaps this forum should change it's name to the Dark Ages. We can set a goal of doing nothing productive for 500 years.

It makes me want to start my own forum, so I can design it in a way that makes sense., serves the needs of the members, and makes it easy to find what you want.

At a minimum it needs to split things in half--between sailing and repair. I think a few more areas would be a good idea--like a racing topics area--does anyone have any suggestions?

3. Hotfish

Hotfish New Member

I have had about all I can stand of this pissing match. We hear you, that you are not pleased with this forum. This forum is about asking questions about sunfish and helping others do better. If you would like to contribute that would be great, but if all you want to do is to tell how great you are, how many sailboats you been on, and how you might let someone go sailing with you if they get on you good side.Then go play in someone elses sand box. Ask questions or help someone else, we work together as a team not against each other.
    Kevin
    AKA Hotfish

4. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

Hotfish is a good handle for you. But being hot is not how to run this board. Who is pissing now? You are taking this all personally. What we are talking about is a reasonable suggestion to improve the forum. Why not post a poll on the subject and let the users decide?

So what have I done that is so bad? I've posted useful information. I've started threads. I've responded to threads. I've made a valuable contributions. I have knowledge I'd like to share. I want to encourage people to fix up those old Sunfishes and get them in the water. I think every sailor should have a Sunfish. They are cheap, affordable, and fun.

If I've struck a few raw nerves, I'm sorry. That was not my intention. I a good guy. Come sailing with me and you will have a good time. I'm very easy going on the water, and perhaps a little too blunt in writing.

Here is my perspective. I was new to the forum, ergo, people concluded I must not know anything. People were looking for a reason to dismiss me--being new. Few discussed the topic I politely raised--yourself included. I should sit back and do nothing for a while? Sorry I don't get that. It reminds me of the least effective organizations I've belonged to.

So when I express myself, I come under attack like: What are my credentials? Well I have plenty. Want to see my Able Seaman Certificate from 1968? My mother saved it for, God bless her! Here I am attacked again--by you this time for having credentials and responding to someone's query on that. If you want a puppy or a puppet--go buy one.

Regarding acting as a team. Here is an example of teamwork. I offer my services to help run the forum. Why don't you at least split the forum such that Repairs are separate from Racing and other topics and I'll help run the repairs section. I'm sure there are other people equally capable and equally interested in that area who would be glad to help also.

It is ironic you cite teamwork in your diatribe. I spent 20 years as part of a real team--the US Air Force. I'd like to point out that this forum is not run like a team. It is run like a petty dictatorship. Show me where anyone has any input on how it is run. I have not seen any polls. If there are any, they are buried in 2000 topics. Polls should be sticky threads right on top--or better yet--in their own topic area! Wow, what a concept!

I propose a poll on where to put forum polls! a) In there own forum area, b) as a sticky thread on top, c) this is a dictatorship--there will be no polls, d) on another forum. How do I post a poll?

Try something different. Smile, laugh, and lets have some fun and make this the coolest sailing forum on the Internet, instead of a dried up prune.

I'd like to see a topic section on sea stories. Or one on jokes. Can we at least talk about it?

A leader would welcome discussion and adopt the view of the consensus to strengthen his position, while the participation of the group would engender the warm gratification of being heard, and the satisfaction of making a change for the better--all positive aspects of being part of a team that strengthen it. A member with no say, and who is not allowed to make suggestions, is not part of a team--a pawn perhaps. When I take people offshore, I give them responsibility, and listen to what they have to say--that is leadership.

Include yourself with those who choose to shoot the messenger. If you blast people who offer constructive suggestions, you are not the leader of a "team".

If you want me to go away, keep it up and I will. I'd rather associate with more polite people who don't come out blasting with a 12 gauge, and then complain when the find I have armor. If you want to display some leadership, take me up on my offer. Real leaders never turn away volunteers.

Now, do you think you can discuss the original topic--Forum Organization? Or not?

Based on the response I've seen so far. I'll guess no.

5. minifish

minifish New Member

I think points have been made and noted by management. Nothing else to be said here for any benefit on either side of the opinion.

I hope the thread doesn't start stinking the place up.

6. fbjru

fbjru Member

If we learn nothing else from this thread we can at least admire admire NightSailors passion and enthusiasm for Sailing and Sunfish sailing. He has made more lengthy and credible posts in his month on this forum than most members have or ever will. I for one have been reading this forum for five years but have rarely posted my own thoughts. Regardless of some of the things that have been said, I enjoy seeing seeing the enthusiasm for the class, which is really needed to vitalize and strenghten the class.

Regarding the original suggestion:

Regrardless of how the topic was presented and whether or not it will be ever be done.
    For what it is worth, the suggestion is not a bad one.

Personally, I hav'nt had too much trouble navigating the forum as is. It is fairly easy to search key words and read through material. If you are seeking particular information.

As far as topics being quickly buried- This has not tipically been a problem. This forum generally moves quite slowly (I often wish it saw more action). However, in the last month, with summer approaching, the forum has been moving quite quickly and some threads have been buried rather quickly. This has been the pace that NightSailor has seen, and probably contributed to his suggestion.

In conclution I would be ok with this chang in organization, but I am also fine with it as is. I do not wish to make complaints because I know that managing a forum can be a large task (Thanks Bradley). The forum, as I understand it, is undergoing some changes. Perhaps Bradey has things in mind and is way ahead of all of us.

7. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

Hello Everyone,

I will take a few moments to update you all on the status of the recent forum upgrades and give my thoughts on forum organization.

First, the merge is nearly complete. I finished fixing the knowledge base yesterday, which was the last part of the site that had not been moved over. It required a new content management system that was less reliant on hard programmed variables that we don't use anymore. Anyways, I want to get a lot more content and organize some of the old helpful forum posts there over time. If anyone is interested in writing/editing for the KB please let me know.

Also, if your username has an imported_ in front of it please contact me so I can manually merge your Laser and Sunfish accounts.

Finally, when you post in the General Sailing or Dockhouse sections your post will be viewable on all three forums including laserforum.org and sailingforums.com. I hope these new areas will generate more discussion on the site and increase our daily post numbers in the long run. I would like to let these sections run a while before I add anything else to the mix, but that doesn't mean I am against a sub-divide...

Now for organization:
    Breaking the forum into a lot of parts fragments discussion and can lead to less talk on a small forum like this one. I have experimented with multiple sections over time (I've been running forum's since 2002 when I launched what became The Laser Forum) and have found most people still post to the "main" section. However, I'm not against creating a sub-divide between sailing and restoration posts. The "Sunfish Talk" forum could be broken down into "Sunfish Sailing" and "Sunfish Repairs and Upgrades." I know how NightSailor feels about this, but I would like to hear some more opinions for everyone else. Would you like to see a section split?

I appreciate everyone's remarks and passion for improving the site and sunfish sailing!

8. minifish

minifish New Member

Since you're soliciting advice... :D

I don't think this forum moves fast enough to split it just yet.

9. acs026

acs026 Member

I think a simple yes or no vote can work well in this situation :p

And thanks to Bradley and everyone on this site. I just taught myself to sail like 2 years ago, and I am now restoring a boat. A lot of my information has come from the experience of others on this site. Especially when it has come to my repairs.

So regardless if it is split or not. I think it is a great forum

10. Zeppo

Zeppo Member

The volume of material isn't that great, not enough to justify creating specialized topic areas.

11. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

When browsing, have two sections would be nice. Otherwise I use the search.

12. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for all your comments. I will take them all into consideration as future plans are made for TSF. For the immediate future, I will not be adding a new section but I am always carefully monitoring forum traffic and trends and will add the section when the traffic warrants.

Cheers,

13. Courtenay

Courtenay New Member

Thanks, Bradley, for all of your hard work. It is much appreciated and applauded! I am a new Sunfish owner and just learning to sail, but I have enjoyed surfing through the posts and have learned much from the other contributors to the forum. I think a division would be beneficial, but I have not found it difficult to use the search feature for certain subjects - always have found what I was looking for.

14. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

The site keeps moving with new posts—the secret for website viewing pleasure. :)

15. danpal

danpal Active Member

I have to say that I miss NightSailor's posts... He certainly made it interesting and his repair posts were quite detailed.

16. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The Sunfish Forum is about the boats, not the contributors. Hence, messages directed at contributors that are less than friendly will be deleted.

PS: See the first paragraph of my May 7, 2009 message.

:) That's more than two years ago! Time does fly, doesn't it, let's go sailing...

17. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

I could not log on to this new system. What a PITA.

So in any case, I have moved, living in a new place with a bigger shop, but it needs lots of work. I broke my arm, and have been traveling, looking to buy a big catamaran for charter.

So, in any case, I'm back.

Lately I've been working on a Sunfish trailer to haul four boats at once. I'm also getting ready to move onto my 46' sloop. Now that my arm has healed.

18. tag

tag my2fish

glad to have you back, Nightsailor. looking forward to pictures of the 4-fish hauler.

19. NightSailor

NightSailor Captain

I am working on a thread for that next. Check out my "Free" Aluminum trailer I restored.

The Quaddie Trailer is what I call my four Sunfish hauler.

It is not finished but perhaps you can offer some advice as I'm still mulling over options to secure the boats to the trailer.

20. tag

tag my2fish

I'm not even sure how to start fitting (4) boats on one trailer! I can picture a wide A-frame to hold (3) boats, or double-stacking (2) boats. should be a fun project.