Fitter = faster ??

Nicko

This may be a silly question but is there a point where the only way you will get faster is by being fitter?
I noticed last time I was out that when I ease- hike- trimmed constantly in the puffs going up wind, I went considerably faster. However,my arms were like jelly afterwards and my stomach felt like it had had a good punching. I couldn't keep up the hiking at all. When I went flat out, I started shaking and lasted about 5 seconds, so had to ease more than hike.
So now I am trying to hold that hiking position for a few seconds every day sat on a cushsion with my feet tucked under the couch , and also doing pull ups on the door frame for my sheeting stamina. Any other tips on fitness??

Cheers
Nicko

It's not just stamina. There are a lot of techniques (beyond ease-hike-trim) to working the boat through the waves which you can only do if you are in shape. If you look at the top sailors, not all of them are THAT big (as in Finn sailors). However they are in top physical condition

in answer to the thread title....

Absolutely!!

And every time I finish ahead of anybody it is purely because this 55 soon to be 56 year old dude is in better shape than those who are behind me.

Please understand, this also proves that in those races when I finish last I am in the worst shape and when I win I am in the best shape.

In the last regatta where I sailed I found myself to be in pretty good shape, mediocre shape, pretty good shape and fabulous way better than anybpdy else shap all on the same day.

The North American VP had similar changes in his health condition including what must have been a near death experience as his life condition was listed as "over early."

I think it is important for you to understand round is a shape. Pear is a shape and long skinny lines are rarely referred to as "shape."

Finally. If you are fit, keep it to yourself or simply lose your level of fitness. Throwing a fit is not tolerated at all.

I know that sailing a boat fast is just one component of winning a race.
I can sail faster than the rest of the fleet and still loose. They say it is something to do with stopping occasionally during a race to flip the boat and make sure the bottom is still nice and shiney, but I don't believe them.
One day a big limpet will suck onto their hulls and slow them so much I shall sail straight past them!
Then we shall see who was the most sensible.

Cheers
Nicko

I know that sailing a boat fast is just one component of winning a race.
I can sail faster than the rest of the fleet and still loose. They say it is something to do with stopping occasionally during a race to flip the boat and make sure the bottom is still nice and shiny, but I don't believe them.

One day a big limpet will suck onto their hulls and slow them so much I shall sail straight past them!

Cheers
Nicko

I am looking forward to that day as well...

Absolutely.
Just taking your mind of the physical aspects and focusing on boat speed makes all the difference. Ask Robert Scheidt. I met him last month.

I think that all things being equal between two people who know how to sail a Laser, a fit one will be faster than a non-fit one because they won't tire as easily will be able to remain focused. They can hard longer and harder too.

The best I can hope for is some algae on my competitor's hull, or maybe some trash. I'd like a picture of the limpet thing if it ever happens!

Fitness is a pretty big part but tactics and sailing skill are pretty big too. There is no point being really fit and being able to sail hiking really fast with your sails fully powered but point the boat in the wrong direction.

Fitness is important for regattas etc you need to be able to hike well but really only be going 60-70%, otherwise if you're a bit unfit and you got to a regatta you will hike 100% on the first day and be too sore the next days

I think that all things being equal between two people who know how to sail a Laser, a fit one will be faster than a non-fit one because they won't tire as easily will be able to remain focused. They can hard longer and harder too.

The best I can hope for is some algae on my competitor's hull, or maybe some trash. I'd like a picture of the limpet thing if it ever happens!

they
Perhaps this would make sense if "the more fit sailor" were substituted for they.

best Perhaps you mean worst? My impression of you is youi are not that sort of person who would wish misfortune on others.

competitor's hull
Perhaps you only expect one competitor. That would be unfortuntate. As long as you are wishing, I suggest you raise your hopes a tad and wish for this algae to be attached to other competitors' hulls.
Of course I would hope the algae fouling would be noticed after a brief experience of frustrating slow sailing and cleaned off before any actual racing began so your opportunity to enjoy competitive sailing among friends on equal boats could be most thoroughly enjoyed.

Noticve how all the above fit in this post. Judging by the length of this post and the one above, I have the most fit here.

Certainly my sailing will be impacted accordingly.

they
Perhaps this would make sense if "the more fit sailor" were substituted for they.

best Perhaps you mean worst? My impression of you is youi are not that sort of person who would wish misfortune on others.

competitor's hull
Perhaps you only expect one competitor. That would be unfortuntate. As long as you are wishing, I suggest you raise your hopes a tad and wish for this algae to be attached to other competitors' hulls.
Of course I would hope the algae fouling would be noticed after a brief experience of frustrating slow sailing and cleaned off before any actual racing began so your opportunity to enjoy competitive sailing among friends on equal boats could be most thoroughly enjoyed.

Noticve how all the above fit in this post. Judging by the length of this post and the one above, I have the most fit here.

Certainly my sailing will be impacted accordingly.

It does look like you may have the biggest fit here when it comes to fit. Being fit is good, but watching fit can be aggravating and cause fit related fits. So, just work on overall fitness (including mental) and specific exercises in fitness specific to sailing. That way you'll be fit and have no reason to have a fit over someone more fit. And, a clean boat will be more fit for competition than a limpeted one, and it'll fit into the fleet more easily.

I think I just heard that Ftt noise of imploding gray matter. Someone just had a fit.

P.S. Sorry

Back