First crappy day and I'm ready to move

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Merrily, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

OK, I'm ready to get out of Ohio. We want to be in the East or on the Gulf Coast. We want to sail and powerboat year round. A good yacht club is a must. We live fairly modestly, except for the boat collection. Please put your suggestions in now!!!

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Gulf Coast
    Fairhope AL: the yacht club got destroyed by Katrina but hosted the 2007 Sunfish Nationals. That's the spirit.

East Coast
    Newport RI: you don't need a yacht club :D! Sail Newport looks fine to me.
    or Naptown MD: bunch of expensive clubs and not much wind in the summer :mad:

3. Ross B

Ross B Guest

forget the east coast ( I was born in NJ, but come on, sunshine 365 out here in SoCal!) and move to SoCal, we have great wind in Long Beach, Newport is great, and then there's SD!

4. aquatone282

aquatone282 New Member

Another Gulf Coast possibility: Fort Walton Yacht Club, located on the beautiful shores of Choctawhatchee Bay. Year-round sailing and Portsmouth races every other Sunday with Lasers, 420s, Sunfish, and the occasional Force 5 or Megabyte.

It's a harsh winter here if you have to scrape the ice off your windshield more than twice in a month.

5. fracisco

fracisco New Member

Any of those Mississippi/Alabama clubs (Pass Christian for example) would be appealing other than the occasional hurricane or bug infestation.

Connecticut has Cedar Point YC. 'Nuff said.

Charleston, S.C., looks like a good bet, too. Close enough to go to Florida for Winter events. Nice enough during the rest of the year.

6. ChalmersP

ChalmersP Member

Well, down here in Southwest Florida we get pretty good wind, espescially in winter 20+! Anywhere south from Tamps is a pretty good bet, I sail out of the Edison Sailing Center, but were just your average club, you also dont have to travel far to get to Orange Bowl. If you want to look at your website, goesc.org ! Hope to see you soon

ChalmersP

7. kai

kai New Member

if you dont mind frostbiting in the winter the southcoast of mass is nice. marion, fairhaven, dartmouth. but i agree with ross b socal is the awsome. huntington beach in 2 more years.

8. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

Come on down to Ft Walton Beach Dec 8/9th. Pretty sure we are having the district championship here that weekend.
    Sam Grant & company have grown a great portsmouth fleet that averages about a race every other Sunday and seems to have about 10-16 lasers/radials out sailing every race, plus a bunch of sunfish and other small boats that add up to 20+ boats most Sundays.

9. Merrily

I'll consider doing that. I know we'll want to get to Florida this winterat least once.

Ross, we want to sail in the Florida Keys and maybe the Caribbean with our pocket cruiser. SoCal is lovely though.

I guess getting in the greatest variety of sailing would be good, wherever we are.

10. Ross B

Ross B Guest

we have Catalina Island! but the Keys are also nice, cant beat the clear water

11. Merrily

All these places sound interesting. So many places, so little time. Is there any place to sail Lasers in Annapolis besides Severn (not that there's anything wrong with Severn)?

12. dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy Member

Merrily, we moved from Utah to Sarasota FL in 2002. After years of towing a 5-boat Laser trailer out to SoCal for weekend regattas, Midwinters etc. it seemed logical to move somewhere we could sail year 'round.

California was our first choice, turned out to be WAY out of reach, price-wise. Not only was real estate out of sight, (we couldn't afford anything within 100 miles of the coast) taxes were high, energy costs huge, and then there were the earthquakes, brush fires, landslides, water shortages, traffic, crime and smog.

Florida has turned out to be great (although prices are up here, now too). We got a nice small house 10 minutes from the Sailing Squadron www.sarasotasailingsquad.com (and the beaches) and the weather is wonderful 8 or 9 months of the year. Summers are hot and sultry, but still tolerable for sailing in the evenings.

LOTS of great sailing here. Hope your cruiser is relatively shallow draft, for the Keys. It's pretty shallow down there, in a lot of places.

13. dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy Member

Oh, I forgot to mention the real kicker here - membership to the Sarasota Sailing Squadron is $100 per year for city dwellers, and $150 for anyone outside the city of Sarasota. Boat storage (dry) for our Melges is $330/yr. and the Scot is less.

Can anyone beat that?

14. Ross B

Ross B Guest

yup, storage is free for me

I keep my 2 Lasers, Naples Sabot, and winsurfer in the garage lol

15. odinsvitskjaldr

odinsvitskjaldr Member

Come on down to Houston/Galveston! Cost of living is way lower than most places in the country, plenty of year round sailing opportunities, and active Laser district, and very cosmopolitan.

16. Merrily

We have a Starwind 223, which has a shoal draft keel and centerboard. Yes it's tiny, but it's trailerable. One of our more clever purchases we feel. We're having a new trailer made for it right now, as the old one was getting rusted out.

I'm familiar with the Sarasota SS. It's a very nice area, but what has happened to your house insurance rates lately due to the hurricanes?

17. Merrily

Jay, ever since I saw Thelma and Louise, I've been scared of Texas. ;)

Actually, I think I should put Galveston on the must see list.

18. ChalmersP

ChalmersP Member

If youre considering coming down here and crusing, you should definately go to the Dry Tortugas, I think its 70 miles west of the keys. It takes about 20 hours sailing from Fort Myers goinf 7.5-8 knots

I garuntee that you would have a blast, there is also an anchorage!

19. Merrily

Thanks for the tip! :) http://www.nps.gov/drto/

20. sailchris

sailchris Member

How much would that indoor storage cost in Orange County if it wasn't in your parents' house? ;)