Field Trip to LP Rhode Island!

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Rob B, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

My wife and I own a mens/womens clothing store. From my experience, (which covers everything from the manufacturing floor to the front line) when goods are missing or orders don't come in the initial reaction from our customer, (the end user) is why can't YOU get me what I want. To protect our reputation we have to reveal a supplier issue when one exists and fall on our swords when the screw up is from our end.

With the Laser issue it is different because of the class rules there is a captive audience and we are completely limited to where we can go for our "class approved", (insert non-class approved products argument here) stuff. Which, by the way totally goes against free market trade, but that's another argument.

The phrase is "taking bullets". It means you are getting hammered trying to protect someone/something. I also hate the lack of US gun regulations.

Sure. APS does not have to, (and probably should not) make public announcments regarding THEIR issues w/LP if any exist. Again, this goes back to the captive audience thing, but I would not blame them if they did and given their reputation I don't think anyone else, (at least in the US would either). We do tend to talk about stuff here and in the South we put our nuttiest relatives on the front porch for everyone to see, bless their little hearts, (the suthern phrase used following any personal insult to make it ok. Like. "Poor LP just can't seem to get their S... together. Bless their little hearts.")

Maybe it is an english thing, (not to get into an english vs. u.s. thing, but since you brought up the gun reference) to not communicate and ride the boat all the way to the bottom before acknowledging there's a hole in the ship. However, the frustrations are getting awful and beyond repair.

2. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

When you see that most laser parts were backordered on APS's site, you can tell there's a supply issue.

Dealers weren't going to lie to their customers saying that they can get stuff, they didn't know when parts would come in.

3. Scott B

Scott B Member

Not to hijack this thread, but here in the US, there are over 20,000 laws regarding the manufacture/distribution/purchase/ownership of guns. There is no "lack of US gun regulations" - sorry, Rob.

Yes, we have many more freedoms (and usually lower crime) as far as ownership of firearms goes compared to most of Europe (and the rest of the world, really.)

[/HIJACK]

4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

There is nothing wrong with a business privately telling a customer, "Sorry, I don't have the parts you want. They've been backordered from the supplier for weeks. To tell you the truth, there are many things they have not been delivering. I'm concerned about the finanical health of their company." This sort of candor is necessary in running a business.

I think it would be far different to get on the internet and start mouthing off "My vendor is screwing me! They haven't given me any parts in week, and my customers are running away! They deserve to go out of business!". THIS is the sort of thing I have seen in business before, where people shoot their mouth off and nothing gets accomplished. Feelings get hurt, and there is no room to resolve problems at a later date.

This being said, it is common knowledge among anybody trying to buy Laser parts that LP is in some sort of financial bind. Given the tight-knit nature of the Laser community and the mutual dependence between the class and the builder, I think some sort of explanation is due to the class membership.

All we have to go on right now is hearsay, and everyone is sweating bullets (sorry, couldn't help myself).

5. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Well said Torrid!!!

LaserPerformance? LaserPerformance??? Buehler? Farris Buehler???

6. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Anybody remember what it was like when Pearson went belly up ?

7. lumpy

lumpy Member

LP is waiting for all current stock including boats are gone so they can bring out all the replacement goods being made in South Africa.

8. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

So they are no longer building boats in the US at the Rhode Island facility? Is that just going to be a warehouse?

9. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

With all the costs to ship and import why would they do that?

10. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I read it on the internet, it must be true.... :rolleyes:

11. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Fixed.

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Tests on the replacement goods will be conducted in the now empty soccer (football to the Brits) stadiums (remember the World Cup?) that will be flooded. Should be quite a sight.

13. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I heard that all the LP execs would personally test the new products in Cape Town

[​IMG]

14. torrid

torrid Just sailing

OK folks, enough time online. It's October, the weather's cooled down, so go out and sail your Lasers. I've got a feeling it's going to be a long winter.

15. Wayne

Wayne Member Emeritus

Hmmm..., credibility appears to have gone right out the window... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Back to the original proposal, Field Trip to LP Rhode Island!. Anybody game to drop by on Sunday and shoot some pictures through the windows?

[​IMG]

. . . it's what's inside that counts. ;)

16. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Seeing that the factory is busy/not busy and has/doesn't have supplier parts (spars/blades/sails/hardware) on hand, IMHO won't really tell us much of anything that we don't already know or help us with the real problem which is:

Class legal parts from our builder are damn hard to come by and have been for some time now.

I would hope this should be something that our class elected officials can speak to.

17. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Here at GER: I have in stock: 2 unused, folded Laser Standard sails !CLASS LEGAL! "made by "Hyde" / with "ILCA sticker" for 350,- € plus shipping costs to sell (related to that: at GER's offcial main Laser store it costs 390,- € plus sh.costs). Nobody wants to buy ... The same situation for an unused, common "Original Builder Supplied" Laser centerboard (UK-language: "daggerboard"), 1 rolled "Hyde" Sail (Standard) sailed: 3 times etc. etc. It seems to me: Somebody (me) sails at the wrong continent, does he? :)

Cheers...
    LooserLu

P.S. At GER for years: At the "Guarantee Certificate" (= "Declaration and Warranty") for about many years at Laser you may find this responsible adress for the "shipyard" = Performance Sailcraft Europe Ltd. (aka:"LaserPerformance"):

"6 Riverside, Banbury, Oxfordshire, OX 16 8TL, UK".

If one do use "Google-maps" satellite images or Google's "Street View" or Bing's satellite images.... what do you find???? -> Old W A R E H O U S E S / S T O R A G E H O U S E S, without any hint to LP!!! So, for me: "LP"/"PSE" perhaps does play a "game of hiding"? A backyard-company / "post-box company", perhaps? Does a backyard company of UK rules the American and European market of production for the very honoured Laser, the Olympic open singlehanded sailboat ... (and Sunfish sail boat)?
    Please, may somebody resolve this issue for me, thanks. (Yes, I know the main Laser Store of UK is at "Long Buckby..." (but, what is it all about this dubiuos adress, above, mentioned at the papers for the purchaser of a Laser, made by "LP" ))

18. lumpy

lumpy Member

Please do not change my posting with misinformed nonsense.

tia

Lumpy

19. Deimos

Deimos Member

Actually I had heard just "Far East" rather than South Africa - and it was just hulls not everything.

Ian

20. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

How are we to know that your information is "informed"?