fasteners for inspection port

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by imported_Will, Jul 28, 2005.

1. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

I want to install inpection ports on my two sunfish. I have seen the instructions at Windline and some other sites. However, no one states exactly what kind of fasteners are best to attach the ports. Should I use bolts or screws? And if so what size and type? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Will

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

It's been awhile, but I believe the screws were included with the port I got from Windline. If you are in doubt, give Daniel Feldman/Windline a call.
    You do want to use some 3M 4000 (or similar) sealant to set the screws and prevent leakage.

3. mike4947

mike4947 Member

I've had both nylon and stainless BOLTS and nuts supplied with ports to attach them. The fiberglass deck material isn't the best to hold a screw. Note that anything Sunfish attaches to the deck has a back up block of wood molded under the deck to screw into.

4. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

Thankyou Wavedancer

I have emailed Daniel at Windline to ask him the question about the type of screws, rivets, or bolts.

5. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

Thankyou Mike

The Nylon nut/bolt combination sounds like a good idea. My ports did not come with any.

Will

6. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

I installed my ports with 3m 5200 and NO nuts and bolts or rivets. They work fine. There is no load on these things. The only load is if you were to try and crank the covers on with a lot of force, which they don't require to make a seal. 5200 is STRONG stuff.

Cut the holes, sand the deck around the flange and then lay a bead of 5200 in. Set the port into place and put a weight on it to hold it in place....you're done.

7. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. Your method sounds tempting. However, there could be an occasion where the ports may have to be replaced. I am not sure what occasion but the 5200 would definitely make for a permanent installation.

Will

8. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

There IS a product that will break the bond of 5200. It is out there. A friend in the industry told me the name, but I forget. Even so, I am confident I could replace them fairly easy with a razor blade as my only tool.

9. sailor3001

sailor3001 New Member

On all the sunfish the I have put inspection ports on (about 8), I always use stainless #8 x 1/2" round head self tapping screws. Nuts and bolt are way overkill on inspection ports. You can get the screws at most any hardware store. At Layline, we sell the 4, 5, and 6" ports and we also have the screws as well. You also will want to seal the screw holes with 5200 (you can remove it if you want to).
    Trey

10. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

Thankyou Sailor:

So on those self tapping screws, do you drill holes through the hull just a little smaller than the screw diameter?

Will

11. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Self tapping screws or pop rivets are teh way to go. Rivets are easiest. BB

12. sailor3001

sailor3001 New Member

Drill a hole that is the size of the shaft of the screw (not the threads mind you), and just put the screws in with a screwdriver (a drill is too much, it may strip the hole). Good luck!
    Trey

13. supercub

supercub Member

Hey a;;.

Just a reminder, Beckson has a flat bottom screw pocket that needs a round or pan head screw/bolt and Viking has a tapered pocket needing a flat or oval head screw. Just check the port you are using for the type of screw head needed, using the wrong type may cause the flange to crack. I have used 3M Marine silicon to seal the ports and they have been easy to remove. 3M 4200/5200 makes it very difficult to remove a port without damage. I used SS #8 machine screws, washers and nuts (nylock type) to secure my ports. Like sailor3001 sail, it is way overkill, but I like the look. Good Luck.

14. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

15. supercub

supercub Member

jsd,

Thanks for the info on the debonder, I was unaware of the stuff and had been using the good all razor knife, figernails, Dremel tool and what ever. Again thanks.

16. Terry Ambrose

Terry Ambrose Senior Member

Will I just finished installing a port behind the coaming of my "fish" What you need are Stainless Steel "Pan Head" 8-32 x 1" long screws, also pick up some "Nylock 8x32 nuts, and flat washers. I found mine at "Lowes" Hope this helps

17. imported_Will

imported_Will New Member

Hi Terry

Does it matter whether they are panhead or roundhead? Does one fit the ports better than the other?

Thankyou

Will

18. supercub

supercub Member

Will,

You will have to look at the port itself to find out what kind of head you need. Some ports like Beckson have a flat bottom pocket and you need a pan or round head (the shoulder angle is 90 degrees to the thread). Sea Dog and Viking ports are cone shaped and require a screw with the matching shoulder under the head like a flat or oval head. The visible part of the head is up to your preference, although I prefer pan head for Beckson and oval head for Viking just for looks (with Phillips (cross) drive).

I agree with Terry about the machine screw, washers (I like fender washers, large diameter) and nylock nuts in 8-32 size. The brand I happen to have used (from a local "boat" dealer) are by "handi-man marine" although you should be able find what you need at the local West Marine, Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware store, etc. If in doubt, take your port with you when shopping and get the store sales person to help getting the correct screws.

19. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

I will say it again. Use pop rivets. Eliminates the whole choice of head thing, and trust me, you will NEVER, EVER need the extra security nuts and bolts provide. BB

20. Terry Ambrose

Terry Ambrose Senior Member

Hey Will

I've got a Bekson Port and in there instructions they specify the Pan Head screws. I really don't know if it makes a diffrence or not . The Pan Heads are flush with the port once you install them.

Terry