Family not too thrilled

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by psychonurse91325, Dec 7, 2007.

1. psychonurse91325

psychonurse91325 New Member

Hi, I haven't sailed a boat in 20 odd years. However I remember how much I enjoyed the "Lido 14'" that I had in my youth. I just purchased a 12' 1990 Laser on e-bay, kind of on a impulse. I'm going to be picking her up tommorow. My daughter and wife looked at me like I was out of my mind. I explained how much fun sailing is. My wife asked if it will allow 2 people to sail. I told her no this is a one person vessel. My daughter and her replied "what fun is that". I didn't have much of an answer. Can you guys help me out on this one. Thanks. Mike.

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

The Laser is nearly 14 feet long, and it's way more fun sailing than a Lido. We have both fleets at our club, so yes, I've sailed one of those, too. Not that there's anything wrong with a Lido, it's just not "my" boat. . .

You can sail two on a Laser, one on the tiller and one on the mainsheet. In fact, this is a good way to learn because it weighs the boat down and keeps you from being overpowered.

One nice thing about a single-handed boat is that you can take it out anytime. You don't have to look around for crew, which is something that is a problem for a lot of sailors of crewed boats which keeps them from sailing as much as they like. For that reason alone I chose the Laser, and I haven't regretted it.

I love the feeling of the boat. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn--it's a bit corny--you feel one with it, with coordinated movement of body, sheeting and tiller. I'm not kidding, it gets in your blood and you yearn for it.

In addition, if you join a sailing club or association, you find a whole new social scene of good and fun-loving people. Your daughter, in particular, could benefit from knowing how to sail. It's a great way to have an "in" in new social scenes, and the Laser is sailed at both the high school and college level.

Of course, if you buy two more Lasers, you'll have your own fleet and you can hold a regatta!

Good luck with your family. I hope that they'll give it a chance. Two in the cockpit and one on the bow!

3. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

The laser was designed by a man.

During the Summer of Love.

Yet he still made it a single hander. What more proof do you need of the mind blowing [insert newest fad word from the cool kids here] time you're about to have...

...alone.

While you're out sailing your wife will be wondering what you're up to, wondering whether the club has any women members younger than her that sail lasers and probably cooking you a roast dinner of some sort to quieten her fears.

Don't tell her that you know this.

What you will tell is how much you miss her while you sail; how cold the water is; how you're just getting in shape to keep her happy bla bla bla bla...

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Ladies, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't roast anything for my husband if I was concerned about what he was doing. More like checking the bank statement.

Sounds like you've got a good fantasy going there, Saw--enjoy! Oh, and let's keep pretending that psychonurse's wife can't read.

5. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

They let women read now?

Good lord, what next?!

6. Reon

Reon New Member

i've sailed my laser plenty of times two handed with my nephew and i weight 120kgs and he weights 60kgs with no problems what soever.....

7. steerrolldash

steerrolldash New Member

Note from Merrily: The following poem is by John Griffiths (steerrolldash), so if you use it elsewhere, give him credit.

The cut of the bow, the white of the wake
    The feel of freedom, for freedom's sake.
    The swish of the hull kissing the blue
    The quickening pace as the gust blows through.
    The white of the sail in front of your face
    The certain feeling that this is the place.
    The nose pointing landward on the setting sun
    The aching body of a job well done.

8. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

beautiful poem... bravo... bravo.

9. Hoffy

Hoffy New Member

Take each of them out on some warm days with wind not strong enough to scare them. The'll love it and will understand then why you are crazy. Just had dinner with some friends last night and we all talked about how we got boat fever and went out and bought at least one of our boats on a whim. Both of them did it with a newborn in the house. It is just part of the sport. My wife wants a bigger one now!

10. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

Little kids, say age 3+, can sit in front of the mast, holding the mast. They'll eventually slide to the high side and by 5 or so, will want to get under the strap and dip their heads in. Soon after that, they'll want to drive, and put you ahead of the mast to get you out of their way. Then they'll want their own, then they'll start talking about an Ivy League school, because their sailing teams are better...

Enjoy!

11. psychonurse91325

Thanks for all your excellent input. I was very suprised to hear it will be o.k. with 2 people. Very pleasant news. Well I'm off to pick up the boat. Will try to take some pictures and post them. I need to buy a book on the Laser. Any suggestions which is the best book to buy.

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

If it's a 1990, I'm guessing you didn't spend a lot on it. Hopefully your wife won't be too upset that you purchased something mostly for yourself and not for the whole family. I know plenty of guys whose wives would be extremely mad about such a purchase, regardless of cost.

Yes, it can sail with two people. Not race, but sail around. My guess is your wife will go out on the boat with you a couple of times, see that is harmless, and probably not take much interest in it after that. Just a hunch.

How old is your daughter. If she's young, it can be a very good father-and-daughter activity. If she's a teenager, she will very quickly want her own boat.

13. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Well DUH!!!
    Get two more boats!!!

14. psychonurse91325

Hi, probably right about my wife going out on it a couple of times and then its a wrap. My daughter is 12Y/O. Hoping she will find some joy in it. You never know. My passion is tennis and she loves soccer. People tell me young kids like team sports. Tennis and sailing are kind of solitary.

15. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

You can fit more than two people on a laser, ive gotten three people on a sunfish and done just fine, not racing or anything but you are undrestimating how big the laser is.

16. Reon

Reon New Member

i agree the laser is larger than most people first think ...

17. captainJack987

Sorry i take that back, i fit three people on a Minifish, which is smaller than a sunfish.

18. Ross B

Ross B Guest

only single handed sailing is solitary

If you really want her to get interested in sailing, put her in the YC'c junior program, and get her into a CFJ or 420, girls like to sail with other girls, and lots of girls sail doublehand

19. captainJack987

the social aspect of a sport can really determine if you like it or not, but if you race singlehandedly, atleast to me you will have a better sense of pride if you win abut if you really dont now much about sailing than sailing doublehand is a good idea, lessons are always great to thats what go me into it!!

20. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

This seems to be an unnecessary slur and unwarranted attack on all women. In my experience most women are not like this at all. In fact I haver only ever met one women who answers to this description. Fortunately, though my wife is quite competent at reading, computers are currently beyond her!