Ever been snagged by a fisherman while sailing

jsdeimel

Has this happened to anyone else. My bridle got snagged by a lure that looked like this http://all-in-general.com/product_i...=4351&osCsid=cc3cb498726fd717180a3dca1c54b61c
And the guy in the bass boat tried to crank me in. Keep in mind we passed about 150 feet to windward of them. :confused:
I'm not sure what he was fishing for but the line didn't break and he actually was pulling me and the boat towards him. This was in the bay in Erie so I tend to think the 50 lb test line was a bit over kill.

I have been been hooked by a fisherman (and he was not happy about it) but even worse I hit a huge dead carp once on the starting line in Lake Ontario (Rochester YC) and went from great start to dead last off the line in the time it took to get the carcus untangled from my dagger board. 'fish and fish don't mix well.

Alan Glos

I've snagged plenty of fishing lines in my time. I think that's where I developed my youthful racing vocabulary ... Mighty salty! Those guys had absolutely no sense of humor. Of course, when they threw their lines out across my obvious sailing course, I didn't feel very sorry for them!!

The thing that really got me is he never even let on that he had hooked me. And Alan hitting a fish is another thing. I hit a 25+ foot whale shark during a distance race just north of Penag Malaysia. A 35 foot boat with the kite up going 7.5 stops in about 2 feet when you do. I thought we hit a container until the tail came out of the water behind my head. Scared the s... out of me and crew.

I had a teenage boy put a lure over my sail. I don't have a clue what he could have been thinking on that cast, but he did catch himself a big sunfish!

Back