Even the Laser is not immune

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by powergroove, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Reon

Reon New Member

i would say no .... but then lots of people would trade their world champ medal for a gold at the olympics ...

i would say it is no mean feat to win either event

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

I have read (keep in mind just read) that Olympic races are slightly easier than world championships. There is a limit of one boat per country, so much of the potential competition is eliminated at the national trials level. Regardless, anybody who medals at the Olympics has to be a pretty darn good sailor.

3. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I have a feeling that WC races and Olympic races are pretty freakin hard no matter what lol

as to how long ( distance sailed) the individual races are, I don't know

4. forcejb@yahoo.com

forcejb@yahoo.com Member

Like ditching the Sunfish-style mainsheet system in favor of mid-boom sheeting with a real traveler mounted just behind the daggerboard trunk? And maybe some non-garbage blocks to go with it?

5. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

Not sure how this fits in the thread but you can't just fit a traveller the boom just wouldn't take the increased load and the sail shape would alter on a windy beat with the inevitable increase bend in the boom even with a super stiff carbon spar. Huge cost implication for tiny gains - Finn?

6. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

And for the lightweight, the Europe.

7. forcejb@yahoo.com

forcejb@yahoo.com Member

You're correct GBR. I was replying (with tongue in cheek a bit) to a post by Ross B in which he spoke of "other improvements he was thinking of". Now I can't find that post or the thread it was part of. Sorry. I shouldn't post when I'm half asleep.

8. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

Ahh that explains it all - I fear that Irony is lost on our Mr B!

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I've though of doing a center traveler, it can be done.

It would be nice to have a track traveler like the Europe or Finn, which would be best. But the easiest, least amount of modifications way would be to do a Y Bridle, like on 420's and other small dinghies, just need to drill a small hole on each side before the cockpit grab rails, add a block, and your good to go. Might need to tie a backing plate to the end inside of the hull for support, but thats it.

And I do beleive it would work, the mast and boom should be strong enough

10. sailchris

sailchris Member

A Y bridle on the boom would probably spread out the load on the boom enough to stop it from bending...but good luck tacking without strangling yourself! Not sure why you'd need holes in the deck though. Are you talking about a bridle across the front of the cockpit instead of a traveller?

11. Ross B

Ross B Guest

yes, across the front of the cockpit, so it would be just infront of the boom block, so you would never strangle yourself, and it would not be attached to the boom. You tie the mainsheet around the boom, take it down to the block attached to the bridel, then to the boom block, and back to the mainsheet block

very similar to this
    [​IMG]

12. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

Ross - assuming you want to maintain the same Leech tension upwind in 20+ Kts try and imagine the kicker (sorry vang) tension you would require to get the outhaul end of the boom the same height off the rear deck as you do when you are block to blocking. If you think that will work - try it on your boat between races next time out and when you have got it as close as you can - look at the resulting sail shape - be quick now because I reckon you're wrong about the boom strength and you may not have long to admire the 'new' sail shape!

13. sailchris

sailchris Member

So, the load on the mainsheet would be higher because the sheet is now attached to the middle rather than the end of the boom. The boom would bend in the middle causing all kinds of leech problems, and the boom would be pulled to the centerline of the boat by the length of the bridle, causing sheeting angle problems.
    Why is this a good idea?

14. sailchris

sailchris Member

I hope you aren't an engineering student, Ross.

15. ThePrincess

ThePrincess New Member

this is not at all a professional opinion--
    During the pacific coast champs, a carbon composite topsection was available for testing by tracy usher and the like, i believe he said that he wasn't wild about it. I really don't think that it would be worth it with the increase in cost.

as for aluminum topsections, ive heard that the australian ones are the best right now. true?

16. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

I have no personal experience but the 'For Sale' ads in the UK often claim that an Australian top section is stiffer therefore best for heavier sailors.

17. Ross B

Ross B Guest

When I move out of the house and my parents don't care what I do to my laser, I'll try it on my old boat. I won't do it now because I don't want to drill holes in it and deal with the "Wrath of Dad!!!!:O"

And when I was in the junior program, we used to dick around, and would often sail around with the mainsheet dead ended at the first boom block. And the boat was sail able. In order to get the right leech tension, the height of the bridle simply has to be adjusted. Being that I have never tried it, I don't know how high.

But I'm not an engineering student, nor have I ever claimed to be, and I have not played one on TV, and I did not stay in a motel six last night. So don't take my word for it. I just had a really good idea. (At least I think so, if you don't like, move on!)