Even the Laser is not immune

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by powergroove, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Ross B

Ross B Guest

2012 and beyond

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

If I were to come up with Olympic classes, this is what I would choose:

Single-handed dinghy (men's and women's)
    Double-handed dinghy (men's and women's)
    Windsurf (men's and women's)
    Catamaran (open)
    Keelboat (open) with match racing medal rounds

That's eight total events minimizing the number of competitors, but is fairly inclusive of all types of yachting - make that sailing. Granted there would be debate as to the appropriate class for each.

I really feel catamaran sailors got screwed by this. I don't sail cats, but they are a large portion of the sailing community and should be represented accordingly.

3. Josef

Josef New Member

You keep telling yourself that thats what drives the IOC, 49ers are soooooooooooo popular afterall =/

4. Ross B

Ross B Guest

they are used world wide!

5. Reon

Reon New Member

i agree ... 49ers arent popular any where near where i am ... i am in strong opinion that the 505 should have been in the olympics .. not the flying dutchman.

6. Josef

Josef New Member

49ers wheren't really popular anywhere before they became an olympic class, they're only used because they do spectacular capsizes and similar shit so they get abit of TV-time.

7. all_ratone

all_ratone New Member

"49ers wheren't really popular anywhere before they became an olympic class, they're only used because they do spectacular capsizes and similar shit so they get abit of TV-time."
    49ers weren't popular because they have just been designed to be an olympic class! with the purpose to introduce a modern skiff in the olympic program... and skiffs are very popular every where because they make exciting races to watch and must be awesome to sail!
    as to the tornado being dropped out i think it's awfull because now there isn't a catamaran in the olympics and catamarans are an interesting different type of boat to be sailed with different skills etc... i think it would be much more interesting to drop the finn! as there is already a single handed boat for men, the laser.. finns aren't very popular anywhere except in Northern Europe!
    If the laser were to be dropped out of the olympics i don't think it would be a bad thing as the class is one of the strongest in the world and it may also make the laser cheaper!!!
    ross b: the opti isn't a one design boat!!! there are several makers of hulls and sails and masts and everything... :p

8. Cenutrio

Cenutrio New Member

I think it is a shame that Tornado's were dropped out of the olympics.

I'm a 100% laser sailor for decades now and I love every minute I get racing my Laser. This years master world's were just a sign of what a nice fleet we are.

However, I'm also involved in other classes and the Tornado's are just a blast. Nothing come close in speed, nothing. They just killed the most spectacular boat by a mile in the olympics. Besides formally declaring the ISAF being a monohull society.

This is a shame for the sport.

Some cool Tornado vids
    Tornado1, tornado2, tornado3, tornado4.

9. Vigolaser

Vigolaser Member

I didn't expect any other opinion from you Cenutrio, if I gess well who you are, olympic family matters are involved. ┬┐aren't they? :D

10. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Finns are growing like crazy in the US right now

11. Cenutrio

Cenutrio New Member

Oh yes, family matters are surely involved ;-) Still, the fact is that they killed the fastest boat in the olympics, by a mile. One of the very few ones that may actually make people wonder about sailing because it is just spectacular.

Another point would be that if you get the panel of olympic boats that competed in the 1976 olympics (470, Finn, Tempest, flying dutchman, soling, tornado) and you compare it to the equivalents in 2012 olympics (470, Finn, Star, 49er, yngling, yngling?), overall, the boats in 1976 were quite faster than what will be in 2012. We are walking backwards.

Honestly, before removing Tornado's, the Finn and the Yngling, and even the Star (designed in the early 1910s I think) have less appeal for sure, and some are redundant (Laser-Finn duality?).

I know I'm biassed, but still, we are going towards slow, and that pisses me off. Remove the Finn and include a A-Class catamaran. Move to foiled moths, include australian 18 footers, but do something radical. Do not move back to 1970s sailing (heavy and slow), we and technology are way head of that.

This and the decision of racing in Quingdao where no wind and strong currents are gonna kill sailing in the olympics, you'll see.

take care VigoLaser, let me know if there are interesting races around there, I may join.

12. powergroove

powergroove Member

Cenutrio, you are my hero! I also believe the multihull class is probably the most spectator friendly to the non sailing community, just by speed alone. There is always this misconception by the general public that sailing is slow, and is only for people with blue blazers who are sipping champagne. The cats add a different and suprising element, and I personnally think we need a cat class at the Olympic Level.
    I also think boat selection should be changed yearly, without 4 or more years to prepare. Follow the Alter Cup format and change boats every year, never giving anyone an advantage. Let the sailor be the difference(does that sound Laserly familiar?) Giving someone 4 yrs to prepare on a specific boat kinda takes away from the sporting point of it, and that goes for any sport.
    You know they are adding Darts as a demonstration sport, you know, remove all the atheletes and put in more TV friendly sports!

13. Josef

Josef New Member

Ok I might have worded that wrong, they wheren't really popular anywhere untill after they had already been at the olympics once, and as far as I can see, they still arn't really overly popular anywhere (compared to other old and current olympic classes).

14. Cenutrio

Cenutrio New Member

49er are a step forward, you may not see that many, but because these are boats for highly qualified sailors. Not everybody can sail them, as easy as that. Very competitive fleet, and growing too.

Not that much faster than a flying dutchman though.

15. Cenutrio

Cenutrio New Member

I do not know about that concept of switching boats yearly, it would be extremely expensive and dissatisfactory, because which one would be used in the olympics? All of them? weird.

Better everybody figures out for the most adequate boat, and go for a 4 years olympic campaign, as it is the case these days.

Problem being that most classes are for very heavy/big sailors (Star, Finn, Yngling, and even lasers).

All those classes are terribly slow and boring for anybody but hardcore fans.

The Yngling is just boring to anybody, what a piece of crap.

Regarding windsurfing, the old Mistral One Design was so much better looking and more all around that today's RX:S that is not even fun, what an ugly board.

One of the best classes selection for the olympics I read these past weeks, that would be fun to watch and compete in.

16. GBR 134

GBR 134 Member

I think the 49er is very popular to watch even if not to participate in. I love watching them but spent an hour or so trying to sail one - actually I took it out for a swim more than a sail!

As for speed differences - I have raced regularly in a 5o5 fleet against an Olympic aspirant in the FD - he used to come to Grafham for the 5o5 Winter Series in the late 80s to practice fleet racing and rarely won a race on the water - without handicap. Conversley the current RS 800 fleet all beat the current 5o5 fleet very comfortably and I'm confident the 49er would be well in front of all of them.

In the end if all you want is speed - buy a windsurfer!

just some musings - I still think it's a backward step not to have a Cat in the Olympics!

17. Vigolaser

Vigolaser Member

Sure, we are trying to create a fleet here at LMB, more news soon.

By the way, I allways try to follow the races at TV olympic broadcasts, but they only include shoots in buoys and starts, quite bored. ISAF should look for a kind of virtual spectator software for olympic sailing races, AC media impact has grown a lot using it on TV. Of course I think the faster classes as 49 and cats should never be over.

18. madyottie

madyottie Apprentice

Since when did the yngling have massive world wide appeal? Everyone I know of who's ever sailed one just says they're uncomfortable and slow!
    And where have you seen fleets of them, excluding the olympic trials?

19. Michelle

Michelle New Member

There aren't even fleets of them there, at least in the US

20. DK Sailor

DK Sailor New Member

I think we should keep the radial for us juniors, I't would definitely take alot of time and money with the moth