European Boats

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by I break things, Aug 9, 2007.

1. I break things

I break things New Member

Does anyone know when the European Style Hulls will come to America? I heard they are stiffer and lighter than vanguard boats

2. I break things

Does anyone know when the European Hulls will reach America? I heard they are stiffer and lighter than Vanguard hulls. I know PSE just bought Vanguard but i cant seem to find the date that they will be over here.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

There are several possible explanations for what you heard...

a) The European factory makes Lasers to a totally different specification than the American factory. Unlikely.

b) The European factory makes Lasers to the same specification as the American factory but for some unknown reason (weather, local suppliers of materials, Joe always puts in extra layer of glass because he can't count beyond three) they just turn out stiffer.

c) The European factory makes Lasers to the same specification as the American factory but for some unknown reason (weather, local suppliers of materials, Joe always puts in one less layer of glass because he can't count beyond three) they just turn out lighter.

d) b and c. Wait, that can't be right.

e) There has to be some explanation as to why European sailors always kick our butts in major championships. No, that can't be right either as people generally use charter boats from the country they are sailing in.

f) The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

g) Some other explanation that I can't think of.

I have no expertise on this issue and my opinion has no weight. But it is stiff.

4. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I seriously doubt that Euro boats will be sold here full time, if you want one you will have to get them in a container like everyone else, but it's just not worth it.
    But you can buy Euro spar's from Colie, but their not black, tried that already.

Hope that wasn't to much of a one liner

5. Deimos

Deimos Member

I had heard PSE had purchased Vanguard but was unaware that they were moving all boat production to Europe. Shipping the hulls to the US will be costly and I would have thought it would make commercial sense to continue production in the US.

But this is just my thinking allowed. Did they announce that European hulls were to be sold in the US ?

Also remember that, I believe the price of a new US boat is currently around $5300 (race spec.). A UK boat will cost you $7387 (basic model, no XD stuff) to $8895 (XD model) (though they are even more expensive in e.g. France). Are you still sure you want European boats.

Ian

6. MasterMike

MasterMike D22

I think there is some confusion being spread. Vanguard the company has been purchased by the European Laser manufacturer. Vanguard will continue to manufacture Lasers and other Vanguard boats in CT. No plans have been discussed to change that.

7. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

While we are busy correcting all the rumors, mistruths and other figments of the imagination, the Vanguard/PSE factory is in Portsmouth, RI, not CT.

8. MasterMike

MasterMike D22

OOP!
    Thanks for the correct info.

9. I break things

Well my coach said that the Euro hulls are like ten pounds lighter and alot stiffer when hitting waves because ive sailed many american built lasers and every time you hit a wave hard the hull shakes (and im talking about new american boats too) and he also told me that they might start making them in US. but im not sure

10. Ross B

Ross B Guest

if they made them in the US, then they would be US boats:eek:

11. Laserracer519

Laserracer519 New Member

What a twist. But Ross they would still be European design just U.S.A. manufactured. Kind of like cars toyota and honda were designed in Japan but there are plants in America producing them. Thats all i have to say.

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

the Laser is a Canadian design, by Bruce Kirby, in Canada.......

13. Laserracer519

Laserracer519 New Member

ah well um then if there is a difference between european boats and canadian boats they were most likely designed in Europe. If these lighter stiffer boats were designed in Canada dont you think would already be in America?:rolleyes:

14. Ross B

Ross B Guest

there is only one design, all the builders follow that design, there is no difference in the design, hence a one design rule

15. Laserracer519

Laserracer519 New Member

Good Point. Your right why'd I bother arguing. I'm only a kid and I've only sailed for four years. Its still odd to me.:eek:

16. Laserracer519

Laserracer519 New Member

Though could they alter the design a little bit and still have it as a one-design?:rolleyes: Also, if these boats are stiffer and lighter how?:confused:

17. roshambo

roshambo New Member

semantics |səˈmantiks| plural noun [usu. treated as sing. ] the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text : such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff.

oops... I'm off topic... ;^)

it's friday... i pulled a sicky & am now going sailing!
    have a great weekend!
    cheers

18. Ross B

Ross B Guest

if they altered, it wouldn't be a one design, they are all weighed and spec'ed before the leave the factory and if they don't meet standards set by ILCA they are destroyed. Trust me, aside from colour, there is no difference.

19. Laserracer519

Laserracer519 New Member

alright thanks for explaining it to me.

20. Ross B

Ross B Guest

no worries