Dumb Rules We Gotta Change

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by gouvernail, Aug 5, 2010.

1. sorosz

sorosz Member

The system works! I sent my form in last night asking about the mainsheet and had a response from Clive Humphries first thing this morning. How cool is that? He said they'll consider my points and go from there. So if you have a strong opinion on a rule, write it up and send it in for consideration.

2. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

My 2 things/2 cents about the "Stopper knot" deal.

1)- I like to put a figure 8 not in my main sheet at the 90 degree, (or close to it) max ease trim on the sheet. A former Master Worlds champ, (Doug Peckover) had a long discussion w/me some time ago regarding how anything beyond 90 degrees on DW trim was lost energy/effeciency. I find it works for me.

2)- I also tie off the bitter end at the back of the hiking strap as I can ALWAYS find the mainsheet in an emergency situation and it keeps the sheet from working itself into unwanted knots.

3. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

Whilst I hate re-starting old topics, Rule changes have clarified the rule over the mainsheet knots. Tying your mainsheet to the hiking strap etc, satisfies the requirement for a stopper knot.

4. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Member

Doug usually marks his sheet at 90 and doesn't go beyond 90 in a breeze but when it's light he's often beyond 90 and by the lee.

5. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

IMO, the boat becomes unstable just either side of 90 degrees, how much either side depends on the wind strength. If you find the boat becoming unstable, either pull the main on, or let it out, also pull on the vang and or lower the centreboard.

6. jonathan_twite

jonathan_twite Member

<off-topic>Can I point out that letting the sail out past 90deg is not the same as sailing by the lee</off-topic>

7. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Member