Drugs and sailing.

Discussion in 'The Dockhouse' started by Chainsaw, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Strangler

Strangler Member

I read he claimed his drink had been spiked and thats why the initial decision was in his favour.

2. Laser of the Corn

Laser of the Corn Member

Someone earlier in the thread made a comment about sailing drunk... One of the scariest things I have ever seen and been a part of were due to sailing drunk/hung over.

June 2006:

I mainly race E scows, this day was an average day here (right around 15), we round first windward mark, set the spinnaker and starting hauling @ss down the run. About one minute after the set I call for a gybe as we are being lifted (scows sail headers downwind), jib man hops up on the deck to jibe the pole, I start to turn down into the jibe and we are really cooking now. The main crashes over, the jib man (still on the foredeck) slips and loses control of the pole I hear a scream. Next thing I know he is laying head down in the cockpit with his legs up. The 4th crew gets him settled and begins to evaluate him. "Ah, skip, time to get a tow to the dock!!!" We douse the chute, turn into the wind take down sails, a support boat tows us back to our dock. On the way in I evaluate my crew, I counted 6 missing teeth, a broken jaw (visibly broken) and a severe gash on his head.

After a little dental work and a long time eating from a straw he is fine. The moral of the story...

He had gone to a concert the night before, got so drunk he couldn't walk leaving the building (according to a mutual friend) and woke up that particular morning still drunk. When we took him to the hospital they couldn't do anything for him initially as his BAC was .231, this was 9 hours after he had stopped drinking.

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

OMG, it's amazing the alcohol didn't kill him. It could have.

4. Laser of the Corn

Laser of the Corn Member

Honestly he was probably pretty close to death.

5. EatChips

EatChips New Member

Some fleets have dropped Rule 42 propulsion restrictions in certain conditions. I think the national class associations should consider removing the current restrictions on drug use. The larger international competitions could then band the fleet into drug type, with, for example, the heroin fleet starting first followed by the crack fleet and so on. It would certainly lead to an increase in public interest and perhaps increased participation in the sport.

There would, of course, have to be restrictions on the lager/pale ale fleet to make sure that people were not taking advantage of Australian low alcohol beers thereby staying more sober during the race. Further, cans/tins would not be allowed to be moved to the new windward side after tacking.

I, of course, appreciate the downsides, but, the increased costs could be covered through either sponsorship or by mixing down the drugs with ajax/floor cleaners. For youth sailing, parents could be asked to inject their kids prior to racing to minimize any risk of injury.

This, combined with improvements to the current inadequate plastic gudgeons, would take the Laser class to the next level.

6. o3dw4rdo

o3dw4rdo New Member

haha yea drugs and sailing do not mix so well