Class Politics down 1000 members?

Home ill with the flu. Finding a bit of time to weed through the maze that is the forum/laserlist etc. Question; Do the statistics really show that membership has declined 1000 members in the past 4 years. Help me out here. Say it ain't so.

First, before I forget, this thread may be useful: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3409

While it is true that as of March 28, 2006 there were a total of 1675 ILCA-NA Class Members, I would say the jury is still out on 2006.

On the other hand, it is also true that the number reported to ILCA on August 31, 2005 (our reporting date for getting world's berths) was just under 2500.

On the positive side, the rate of new and renewing members are running significantly ahead of same time last year (by about 300 as I recall). According to previous year's stats, April through June are very high renewal months as people drag their boats out of mothballs and start sailing.

Tracy

Let's go positive....

The membership is at its highest level in the last three years.

Drag a new person out in a Laser and perhaps that friend will become interested enough in the game to support the class with real money.

You're right. Look for the good. Just frustrated with the same request for 4 years and looking for some sort of accountablility from a group that used accountability as their "Grim Rant". It's a shame the class had to go through this but I hope lessons were learned. Egos are the bane of this sport. Mine too, I guess. Grass roots is where it's at. I will drag a new person out....or two.

73657 said:
Just frustrated with the same request for 4 years and looking for some sort of accountablility from a group that used accountability as their "Grim Rant".

I wish you had not written the above. It got me ticked off all over again. I spent my weekend drives giving speeches to my windshield about the entire bunch of crap related to trumped up lies, character assassination, and the total disassembly of what was the fastest growing sailing association in North America.

The new NA Secretary office is staffed by individuals who had no part in the demise of what was working so very well. They are simply and with dedication trying to pick up the pieces and build the class from where they found it.

If you want some sort of regular reports of membership or financial information, I believe it is quite likely you can simply ask the NA Secretaries for information and you will receive it.

I am disappointed we do not have class officers or paid help who are so fanatic that multiple daily posts to the Forum and regular website updates are less important than their personal sleep.

SF Bay Laser and Merrily are the only class officers on the Forum who obviously understand that promotion of the game is a major part of their volunteer task.
There are other District secretaries and fleet captains who do a great deal with local websites, local email lists and personal promotion.

I sincerely hope that our invisible officers both Local and North American are soon replaced by new enthusiastic fanatic Laser sailors who simply cannot stand to sit idly by when they could be building our great game.

It is a volunteer enterprise with only one paid position. If you want to do something about improving the performance of the NA Class...Jump in with both feet...No... do a cannonball. If anybody complains about getting wet...Bring friends and jump in again!!

gouvernail said:
SF Bay Laser and Merrily are the only class officers on the Forum who obviously understand that promotion of the game is a major part of their volunteer task.
There are other District secretaries and fleet captains who do a great deal with local websites, local email lists and personal promotion.

Awww...I thought I was just having fun. In fact, Lasering, website, secretary, forum--I'm having a blast! I want to share it because when you are having this much fun it's even more fun with more people!

Back