Dolly Tire Replacement?

LQT420

Hi Guys,

Anybody ever replace a flat tire for their Seitech Dolly? On the knobby size "A" tire the size reads 145/70-6. I e-mailed Seitech and they told me that because of the design of the wheel, I must buy the entire wheel assembly.:( Does that mean I can't just buy a standard 145/70-6 and use that? Is there an innertube? I tried fix a flat and that didn't work... Any suggestions or experience out there?

Thanks,

- Leon

The older dollies do have inner tubes. Is there a valve stem?

If not, I think you have to replace the whole wheel. You could see what they have at a farm supply store that will fit if cost is a factor.

But, I'm not sure if the Seitech tire and wheel fit is a proprietary design as opposed to a standard wheel / tire fit.[/QUOTE]

it may be the bearing that may be propriety design? the parts are available at APS and i'm sure at other suppliers. they are pricey, but it's a great product. if you used a non-seitech wheel and tire, wouldn't you have to replace both to keep everything even and balanced?

Hi Guys,

Anybody ever replace a flat tire for their Seitech Dolly? On the knobby size "A" tire the size reads 145/70-6. I e-mailed Seitech and they told me that because of the design of the wheel, I must buy the entire wheel assembly.:( Does that mean I can't just buy a standard 145/70-6 and use that? Is there an innertube? I tried fix a flat and that didn't work... Any suggestions or experience out there?

Thanks,

- Leon

That's nonsense - I don't know where D7 is but I got a replacement wheel overnighted to me from Tackle Shack in St. Petersburg, FL popped it on and it works like a charm....

Old dollies with the small wheels like my 1996 vintage use an innertube from a standard wheelbarrow. I've bought replacements in the past from the hardware store. If you have a newer dolly with the larger knobby tires, you may be SOL.

[That's nonsense - I don't know where D7 is but I got a replacement wheel overnighted to me from Tackle Shack in St. Petersburg, FL popped it on and it works like a charm....]

Maybe I'll call Tackle Shack tomorrow but I'm not making this stuff up. Here's the response I got earlier today from Seitech...

Hi Leon,

Unfortunately because of the design of the wheel the whole unit must be replaced.

Regards,

(don't want to get anyone in trouble)

I asked to see if anyone had ever been successful fixing a flat without forking over $60 for the whole thing when it seems practical to just replace the tire... But, if I've gotta buy the whole thing then I've gotta do what I've gotta do... Just looking for experiences and wisdom. Thanks.

By the way, I'm in D7, specifically CT, right next door to RI where they make this stuff.

I'll bring up another aspect of Seitech dolly tires: if you've got a dolly with the smooth wheels, can they be easily be replaced with the big knobby wheels? Or does it involve me buying new axles (or whatever it is I would need to do).

Mary

On this same subject, how's about wheel bearings? Like the post above, I don't need an entire wheel/tire assembly, just the bearings that slip within the hub and over the axel. Mine are non-existant, making the dolly tough to pull, as the wheels wobble and rub on the vertical rail supports. Ugh.

Anyone have a source for the bearings, or their exact size some I can look for them at the local auto parts or wheel barrow parts store?

Aloha;

Dave Vaughan

On this same subject, how's about wheel bearings? Like the post above, I don't need an entire wheel/tire assembly, just the bearings that slip within the hub and over the axel. Mine are non-existant, making the dolly tough to pull, as the wheels wobble and rub on the vertical rail supports. Ugh.

Anyone have a source for the bearings, or their exact size some I can look for them at the local auto parts or wheel barrow parts store?

Aloha;

Dave Vaughan

You can get the bearings and retainers for your dolly here http://www.westcoastsailing.net/osC....html?osCsid=cd6f96de9ce59baaa6b6fed978497a4c
On APS's website it looks like you can get the inner tube for the older style wheel here http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1954.asp

You can buy all your Dolly bits and pieces direct from Seitech. WWW.Seitech.Com they have switched wheels, tires and bearings over the years so you will need to noodle around to figure out what you need. The old tires with inner-tubes could be changed the new tubless tires can not because the tire is basically bonded to the wheel. I say buy the correct $40 part to keep your $6,000 investment rolling smoothly..

Based on how the wheel has a bonded tire design, I guess I 've gotta do what I've gotta do. If I can buy the size A wheel and tire assembly from you for just $40, I want to order it from you! ;)

personally i do not use a dolley, even though i should. i did not buy one for that reason, i just load it up into my pick-up and put a few layers of towels underneath to make sure no damage is done to the hull. but if u can find a place where u can fix ur dolley good for u

The knobby tires (Carlisle Knobby ATV Tire - 145/70-6) can be replaced and are easily ordered on the internet. If you search youtube you will find video for breaking the bead (the 2X4 method works well) and for removing and mounting the tire on the rim. The hard part (for me) was reseating the bead. I ended up taking the mounted tire to a lawn mower shop to have it seated. Unless you have a large shop compressor, I doubt you will be able to seat it yourself.

A bunch of videos on YouTube for seating a tire with starter fluid. Here's one:

I've never tried it but a couple of the guys I work with say they've done it successfully

I saw many video like that but didn't have the guts to try it. Maybe next time.

Bottom line is that these tires can be replaced.

Back