Do I need a Standard or Radial rig weight/height etc

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by 2latez, Apr 29, 2010.

1. 2latez

2latez New Member

This whole height/weight thing is confusing i am looking at lasers because the 'hype' on how exciting they are to sail but am i also gathering that a radial isn't as fun to sail. i am 167cm/5'5 and 74kg/163 pounds(standing in boxer shorts first thing in the morning) so by race time maybe + 2 - 4kg i do a lot of gym work am agile and physically fit think rugby half back or rugby league half. so the questions are

will i be able to handle a full rig ?

is a radial rig still fun to sail or should i look at another class that suits my weight better that has similar performance to a full rig laser i.e europe dinghy ?

can i be competitive in full rig ?

any thoughts will be great cheers

2. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Not sure where you get the idea that a radial is less fun to sail than a full rig! Lasers are fun to sail, more so if you have the correct rig for you.

At 5'5'' you are a bit short for a full rig (I'm 5'6'' and don't feel that I have the leverage to hold the full rig, even a few years back when I was very heavy) and 74kg is not overly heavy for a radial (Steve Cockerill is heavier and still does very well).

Being fit may mean you can cope with the full rig but you will likely get beaten in strong winds by all the taller guys. I'd personally go with a radial rig as you should do really well in that.

One thing you haven't mentioned though is are you still growing? If you are going to get a few more inches of height on you then in time you'll be wanting the full rig.

3. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

I am 5'7, 165 pounds and I can handle the full rig. Being about the same size, you should be able to too. You are looking for excitement. It sure is exciting, especially in anything over 15 knots. Go for the full rig and don't look back.

4. pez

pez Member

I'm 5'11", 170 lbs and sail a full rig.

5. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

It may be exciting but can you honestly say you are competitive in all wind strengths being that small.

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

What Sailorchick said...

If you plan on racing a full rig, I can say with all but absolute certainty that you won't be competitive in anything over 15 knots. Maybe even less.

If you don't plan on racing, how "exciting" is a full rig when you're 5'7, 165 and it's blowing 20-25 knots?

It's not just the weight, but the height as well. If you're on the light side (170-180), but are over 6'0 tall, then you can get what weight you do have over the side.

At 5'7, 165 or TS's 5'5, 163, you have neither height nor weight in advantageous quantities.

Radial.

7. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

As above. You're on the light and small side for sailing a standard rig. There have been others lighter and smaller than you before and maybe you do well in a standard rig, I'd still recommend the radial rig where you can fully enjoy sailing a laser in all conditions.

8. laserxd

laserxd Member

Paul Goodison is 5'11" and about 175lbs, some of the fastest sailors aren't the biggest sailors. If you're going to sail a full rig you will be fast in light air, but will have to work extra hard in medium and heavy air to sail fast upwind. In a radial you will still have to work hard, but it might be a little more comfortable.

You will be able to handle a full rig, and you can be competitive.

9. Kratos

Kratos Member

180cm = 70.87 inches = 71 inches = 5'11?

In any case, a Paul Goodison TS is not.

Though he doesn't mention his age, I'd guess TS is young. Not only is his size more suited to Radial, but I think he would learn more and have more fun in that fleet.

I remember my first full rig regatta. It was MWE. I had always found success in the Radial in heavy breeze, so figured the FR couldn't be that bad. It was terrible in every sense, with the competitiveness of the fleet, me being on the small side and the nature of the event all being contributing factors.

10. laserxd

laserxd Member

11. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

Goody is taller than that, he is also extremely fit - something most of us on here are not.

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Don't know how you got the impression a Radial isn't fun to sail. Believe me there is nothing fun about being in great wind, but over-powered and unable to control your boat. Some of the most fun I have had sailing has been in a Radial.

As far as which rig to sail, you definitely fall into the "in between" range. I think you should get both rigs and pick one based on conditions, IMHO.

13. laserxd

laserxd Member

Interviews with Paul Goodison

14. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

Absolutely not! 15 Knots is nearing the upper limit of my ability to depower the sail. But it sure is exciting!

15. Kratos

Kratos Member

How exactly is he in between at 5'5, 163?

15 knots............

If that's your "upper limit" then you're saying you're still severely handicapping yourself at winds even below that.

Also, I will say this: My favorite upwind sailing memories are in a Radial. Nothing like being able to sail in 15-18 knot wind, with big waves and being able to keep the sail powered up to the point where I was just a little past taking the slack out of the vang and just barely pulling the wrinkles out of the luff.

Also, in really heavy air, Radial>FR upwind.

16. Kratos

Kratos Member

I got the 180cm (5'11) from his Olympic profile. Unless you are referring to the 5'9 that was originally in LaserXD's post?

17. 132711

132711 Member

it also depends on who you race against. I am 6' 160, (which i am now learning is a little light), but i race in almost all junior events, where i am at least in the top half
    size-wise

18. MiLLz

MiLLz Member

I'm not sure if it was understood that I was talking about excitement, not competitiveness.

19. Kratos

Kratos Member

Sorry, wasn't sure if you were talking about racing or not.

20. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Because he's just about the same size I am, and I race both rigs?