Digital Compass Watch

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Esteroali, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Esteroali

Esteroali Member

There is a Timex Digital watch that has a digital compass built in. Are these legal for regattas? Anyone know how accurate they are? Damien

2. Tim Polaski

Tim Polaski 79429

Digital compasses are not allowed in the sunfish class. Watches with digital compasses, I would presume, would be considered not allowable, as well as the GPS "watches".

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I realize this is academic for racing purposes, but how would you use such a gizmo, say for practice? Probably hard to read if attached to the splashboard.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

and pretty useless if attached to your wrist

5. Fuerza 7

Fuerza 7 New Member

Indeed a wristwatch clock with compass is not going to help you much. It is better to open a port hole in front of the daggerboard trunk and use a classic racing compass.

Anyway I am still amazed how come that class does not allow a digital compass on board, like a Tactick. If we want to keep getting better this kind of improvements should be allowed.

F7

6. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Mainly because most of the digital compasses are not JUST a compass. They have other features that take them out of the compass realm and into the "instramentation realm". Since it's almost impossible to check every digital for "extras" the Fish class simply said; nope, not allowed, rather than get into how and what spec's/features needed to check for.

7. Fuerza 7

Fuerza 7 New Member

The TackTick T061 is a digital compass with a watch on it. No deep sounder, no speedo, just the compass. It is approved by many One Desgin Classes that are seriously thinking about going ahead with better racing.

8. Fuerza 7

Fuerza 7 New Member

The TackTick T061 is a digital compass with a watch on it. No deep sounder, no speedo, just the compass. It is approved by many One Desgin Classes that are seriously thinking about going ahead with better racing.

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Yeah - and what about us old guys with bad eyesight? We can read the big digits on a TackTick but it's really hard to see those little figures and lines on an analog compass. Come on Sunfish Class - get into the 20th century. The digital world is NOW.

10. mike4947

mike4947 Member

11. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Confirmed: The Tacktick TK061 sells for $450 at APS; nothing to sneeze at. All the arguments why the class shouldn't accept an improved rudderblade (the Whitehurst developmental effort) apply (see a prior thread). And the Tacktick won't even improve boat handling!

12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Are we seeing the same website? Exactly what other functions other than compass and timer are you seeing? Yes it has a "tactical scale" that reads the same on both tacks but many analog compasses have an equivalent feature - and they are legal.

Cost should not be an issue for the class to consider. If I choose to spend $600 on a drysuit or $500 on boat covers or $450 on a compass that's up to me. The compass does not change the fundamental nature of the boat (unlike the proposed rudder). It is simply a better designed version of an already legal option.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Go here http://www.tacktick.com/classes/classes.asp for a list of the many one design classes that allow the TacTick T061. Seems like Sunfish is one of the last holdouts.

14. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Having a red line on an analog compass is different that getting an exact number of degrees of header or lift displayed.
    Another slight problem for the Fish is a mounting location. Doesn't work on the mast as the mast can rotate far enough between tacks to make viewing difficult; plus being difficult to reach to change modes. Seen a couple mounted to the top of the dagger board and becoming non fuctional after a rather severe seating of the daggerboard coming into the leeway mark putting the dagger board down in preperation for going upwind.

Also adding $400+ to a 10 grand boat isn't as much of a hardship commpared to adding one to a $800 used boat. Note that Laser, and Optimist also do NOT allow the Tacktick. All designed to be sailed rather than navigated.

15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Yeah - and having a digital watch with an audible countdown feature is different from having an analog watch with no second hand. So what? Are you proposing that we ban digital watches next?

I assume that if a digital compass were allowed it would normally be mounted in front of the daggerboard in the V formed by the splash rail.

And last time I checked the Byte and the Force 5 were not 10 grand boats.

16. mike4947

mike4947 Member

Neither the Byte or the Force V have a strong class association.
    Also it's not the digital versus anolog; it's the features available. Anything beyond simple compass direction is considered "navigation instrumention" and is against the class rules.
    TackTick did for a very short time make a simple digital compass without any other features, but no one would buy it so it quickly dropped off the market.

As for the watch issue, no one said you have to NOT have a second hand on an anolog watch. Compare apples to apples.

17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I fail to see what your derogatory comments about the Byte and Force 5 classes have to do with the price of apples. If the majority of Sunfish class members want to allow digital compasses we will force our officers to approve them. Whether we are strong or weak is irrelevant.

And you still haven't explained what is the fundamental difference between reading a tactical scale on a lubber line on an analog compass and reading the corresponding number on a digital compass. Seems to me it is exactly the same difference as trying to read when a second hand on an analog watch passes 12 as opposed to seeing a countdown to zero on a digital watch. Same information - just a different presentation but some people might find the digital presentation easier to use.

18. mike4947

mike4947 Member

I simply meant there is no real class organization in those classes so just about anything goes, not a true one design with a class association that backs up the limits. The manufacturer's of most any class have no vested interest in maintaining a strict one design. It's maintained in the vast majority of cases by the class association.
    A prime example is the Flying Scot class. They debated for about 6 years over not an equipment change but simply moving a cleat from the rail to the seat area.
    After the comments about costs it seems a little silly to add $400+ for just a geewiz factor without any performance improvement.

JMHO, but after 30 years in the class even among devote hardcore racers I would say only about 5% of them ever used a compass.

19. jsdeimel

jsdeimel Member

To quote Mike
    JMHO, but after 30 years in the class even among devote hardcore racers I would say only about 5% of them ever used a compass

I haven't been around the forum for a while but I think the 5% not using a compass can be found in the bottom couple of places. At any race in any class.
    JMHO
    John

20. mike4947

mike4947 Member

That's 5% USING a compass, not 5% NOT using a compass and talking to folks that did have a compass mounted, about 1/2 had it just because or the "gee whiz, look what I've got" factor and had no real idea on how to use it.
    In conversations and articles over the years with the "big guns" of the class most say the compass is needed more for "offshore" events where there are no "land" references visible from the course. There the compass becomes your point of reference, BUT we're still talking about sailing the boat not navigating it. Hence the exclussion of features other than the simple compass heading on digital units.