differences between laser and laser2

lazypine

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a laser. i havent sailed in years. the last boat i sailed was a 9' spoon nosed dinghy with a full main and small jib sail. I've decided that a laser looks like a really fun boat to sail and was wondering what the differneces between the laser and laser2 are. Can a laser be upgraded? What are the differences in the mast etc?
I know that a jib sail can make a tremendous difference in light wind conditions and was hoping if i find a nice laser I could upgrade it. Thank Neal

laser standard or radial is only has a main and is meant to be raced with one person and a laser 2 has a main and a jib and is meant to be raced with a 2 person crew.if you want to get into racing i suggest looking into what has a bigger fleet around you laser standard is more popular then laser 2, so it would probably be easier to find a fleet of standard or radial lasers. if your looking for a boat with a main and a jib i would also look into 420s and FJ's. there are many other factors to consider like if you want to sail alone laser standard or radial is the boat for you. if you want to sail with a 2 person crew laser 2, 420's, and FJ's are for you. look around at everything and then pic the boat that is best for you

The laser 1 has an unstayed rig, while the laser 2 rig is a two-piece tapered mast with diamond shrouds. The laser 1 rig won't handle a jib well. The laser 2 can be single-handed in light winds, but it isn't raced much. Both boats are very fun to sail- they are both fast in light air, and the L2 has a trapeze and spinnaker.

Expanding on the initial question, if i strip the jib (& spinnaker) on a Laser 2 can i sail it as a Laser 1.

They are differently shaped and sized hull. You could sail it as a Laser 1, but it's not the same thing, so racing it with a Laser Standard or Radial class wouldn't work.

I think the original poster may be being confused by the fact that the Laser Standard, Laser Radial and Laser 4.7 are all the same hull with different rigs. Thus you can get a hull and switch between standard, radial and 4.7 but by fitting a new rig that day, Laser 2 however is a very different hull and does not change into anything else.

Which you want depends on what you are looking to do with it. Personally I think there are equivalent but better boats than the Laser 2 - if looking for things that Laser 2's do. However, if looking for single handed the Laser Standard/Radial is an excellent choice for a wide range of things (fun, race, etc.). Quick to rig, minimal maintenance, etc.

Ian

A laser 2 doesn't go that well without a jib. If you are single-handing I recommend that you still leave the jib on otherwise you might have some difficulty handling the boat.

For a start, a laser 2 hull is bigger than a laser hull. There is no option for a laser to be 'upgraded' into a laser 2 due to differences in mast and rig, as well as the hull.

Go down to your local sailing club and see what everyone else is sailing. Most people are pretty friendly and I'm sure you could find some people willing to take you for a sail in their boats so you can get an idea of what you would like to get. Or you might be able to find a crew spot with someone for a season or so to get some experience.

Back