Deck plug with chain

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by element6, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. element6

element6 New Member

Not sure why mine didn't have a chain, but it's history. Took it out to drain the hull then forgot where I put it. I stole one out of someone else's boat so I could race yesterday, but I can't keep it.

Anyone have an extra to sell?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. sailcraftri

sailcraftri Well-Known Member

Let me check my stock and will let you know if I have an extra one. Where are you located?

Craig

3. element6

element6 New Member

Thanks, Craig,
    I'm in western NY.

4. element6

element6 New Member

While Craig is looking through his parts, does anyone else have one available. I know I can buy new, but if there's one out there going unused, I'd rather have that one.

Thanks,
    Dave

5. sailcraftri

Sorry it took so long but I have been trying to get my big boat put away for the winter. I have a brand new assembly complete with plug and deck plate. Because this is new I would need to get the $30 that it sells for online. But I will include free shipping to you. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com and I can send a photo of it to you.

Craig

6. element6

element6 New Member

Thanks for the update, Craig. I really need only the plug, not the complete assembly. Guess I need to keep looking.

Anyone else got an old one in a spare-parts bucket?
    Dave

7. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

and this is the drain on the starboard deck, right? I switched mine out, on both boats,to the new plastic one. I may have kept the old pieces, but neither had intact chains. I'll look around.

8. element6

element6 New Member

That's the one.
    Thanks,
    Dave

9. sailcraftri

A stainless steel coarse thread bolt will work as well. I have done this along with an o-ring for a gasket.

Craig

10. element6

element6 New Member

I was wondering if that was a standard thread. I'll grab the borrowed plug and try to match it up with something.
    I did grab a wine bottle cork as an alternative, but I didn't have time to carve it to fit yesterday.
    Dave

11. element6

element6 New Member

Returned the deck plug to the boat I "borrowed" it from and raced on Sunday with a whittled-down wine cork. Worked just fine and had the added bonus of throwing off an attractive little fountain of spray when I got really heeled over. ;-)

12. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

I found it in the middle of our move this past week, now to remember where I put it aside so I wouldn't lose it.................

13. element6

element6 New Member

That's a very familiar feeling... :). Seems to be connected to the situations where I walk into a room then wonder what I've come there for.

BTW, I google mapped your coordinates. Looks like a really nice place to sail.

14. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

Ha! found it!
    [​IMG]
    It's from a '74 sunfish that spent its time, before I owned it, in the waters around Assateague.

15. element6

element6 New Member

So which one has more wear-and-tear, the deck ring, the plug, or the hand? My boat is newer, but I'm guessing the threads haven't been changed? What would it take to get you to part with such beauties as these?

Thanks for persisting,
    Dave

16. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

I know, my hand looks so dry, must be from sailing around the world. Or moving boxes, patching a roof, assembling a crate & barrel bookshelf, connecting the wifi, setting up the av stuff, setting drainage pipe,clearing sink drains, scrubbing fixtures, resetting a sink,and insulating water pipes. One of the two.

This piece looks like its solid bronze and vintage (beautiful patina), and the price of copper has skyrocketed in the past few months, and did I mention the beautiful patina? but all it will take is an address, and a beer if I make it to Rochester again (I went to RIT, so I'm familiar with your grey skies and pity you.) I think it will make it there in an envelope. Do you want the deck plate? I suppose you could silicon it into place if need be.

Yes, Smith Mountain Lake is beautiful, only problem is its not very windy during the summer. Virginia (along with NC, SC & GA) has very few natural lakes (two actually), so its a man-made lake.

17. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

actually, the plug doesn't even screw into the deck plate all the way. The threads on the deckplate have been damaged, and, judging by the beautiful patina, it could have been by me. The plug is intact though and the deckplate could be fixed. The metal must be soft because it is ladened with skyrocketed copper.

18. element6

element6 New Member

Thanks so much. I suppose I could offer a copper ale when you visit, in order to keep pace with changing copper prices. :D

Beers are definitely on me when you get here. And we do have some summer winds to sail in, as well as some excellent sailors in our local club.

It looks like there's no really secure way to get you my address, so if you email me at craigsale - at - frontier - dot - com I'll send a mailing address via return email.

Dave

19. ylojelo

ylojelo Member

email sent, but you could just send me a private message

20. element6

element6 New Member

Got your email. I'd have sent a PM if I'd seen the option to do so. Looking again at the options that come up when I click on your username, is the "start conversation" selection the equivalent of other forums' PM function?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.