News Day Six - Final

TLF

News Robot
It was a Goldilocks story at the 2009 Laser Worlds on St. Margaret’s Bay in Nova Scotia. After one day with too much, one day with too little, winds proved to be just right on Tuesday. With the breeze ranging from nine to 16 knots (19 to 31 kilometres per hour), sailors enjoyed three well deserved and tough races after spending two days ashore.

Olympic Gold medalist Paul Goodison of Great Britain has taken over first place in the gold fleet, followed by country mate Nick Thompson in second and Michael Bullot of New Zealand in third. Croatia’s Tonci Stipanovic has dropped to fourth, with Argentinean Julio Alsogaray in fifth. Top Canadian is David Wright in sixth.

In the silver fleet, Thomas Barrows of the US Virgin Island is in first, Max Andrews of New Zealand in second, and Luke Ramsay of Canada in third. Rounding out the top five are Ireland’s James Espey and Denmark’s Thorbjoem Schierup.

Spain’s Guitian Sarria Pablo leads the bronze fleet, with Daniel Verdier of Argentina in second and American Cam Cullman in third.

While a great day of racing has sailors enthused, the arrival of Laser designer, Canadian Bruce Kirby, has also inspired the athletes in the Standards portion of the 2009 Nautel Laser Worlds. Before heading out on the water Tuesday morning, many athletes had their pictures taken with the legendary sailboat designer. In the evening with the competitors for the Masters portion of the Laser Worlds beginning to arrive, it was a mix of veteran and elite athlete milling around the St. Margaret Sailing Club.

"Forty years ago when I drew that first design," said Kirby, "I had no idea what it would turn into. Never in my wildest dream did I expect the success that I see here today."

Event Website

Back