Daggerboard Friction Pad

I just received my backordered new style friction pad. Since ordering it, I've heard mixed reviews.

Is there a consensus yet?

Still yet to fit mine but seeing as my boat is out of action for a bit I will probably get it done.

The main issue you will find is that the holes for the existing friction pad are not far enough foward to get the pad in contact with board. This is mainly on older boats but I have heard of some (practically) brand new boat siffering this as well.

The advice from the builder is ot offer it up and re-drill the holes further up. This is allowed and you will need to fill the old holes.

Aside from that those who have got them working seem pleaed with them.

Since we have an older boat (1977) and refurbished it completely this winter. When we saw various comments in the Forum about the right location for the new model being debated, we filled the old holes. Once everything was done, we positioned the daggerboard and drilled new holes.

Once must say, that the new new brake works great on the water so far, keep in mind we do not race the boat yet, so our testing is far from what you experts would make your Lasers go through!:rolleyes:

G

The APS website calls it the "MkII Upgrade". Does this imply an upgraded upgrade, and they fixed the hole alignment issue? It would explain why they were back-ordered for so long.

The old rubber type centreboard stopper, I found wasn't very good & I needed to change it frequently (every few months). The new one, sure I needed to drill new holes (no big deal-have drill can do!), i am finding the centreboard stays down very well & I don't need to kick it down after every tack like I used to with the old type!
Much better. They are not readily available in NZ yet but some were brought back from the 4.7 worlds.
Cheers Hamish A NZ :)

so, sailorchick, you are saying that you prefer the old one?? I am a bit confused here. I dont like the idea of drilling my 2009 laser?!?!.

I have the new brake and it serves the same purpose as the original but, will hopefully last longer. I like the new design better because it should last longer and might also produce a little more friction to hold the board down. I added a some rigging tape in the front of the daggerboard trunk (legal as far as I know) and it holds the board down much better than with the old warn brake and no tape. Before making the change I practically had to sail the upwind legs with one foot holding down the board and one under the hiking strap.

so, sailorchick, you are saying that you prefer the old one?? I am a bit confused here. I dont like the idea of drilling my 2009 laser?!?!.

I prefer the old style - fits and does the job. I am not prepared to drill my boat to make it fit. It's a shame as it was an upgrade I was looking forward to.

What material should be used to fill the existing holes?

Thanks

If you don't care about appearance, just caulk. Use Marine-Tex or epoxy resin if you want a neater job, and sand it until it is just flush using a sanding block.

Back