Dagger Board Rising

mmm1387

When saling upwind on my '07 Laser the Daggerboard will not stay down. Down I need to shime the daggerboard trunk? If so, how?

Check your daggerboard break, the black rubber thingy just aft of dagger. And do you
use a bungie for the dagger.

play around with the bungie tension. its probably that it is not tight enoufgh. though if it is too tight it can also pull it up slightly. so tie some knots in the bungie while your on the water untill you have it at a length that you like

go it - thanks
so i am going to move the wedge closer to the daggerboard to create more tension...correct?

hello everyone, i've got this problem... having moved the plate forward, assuming there is a silicon seal, would this have to be re-done?

If your boat is more than 5 years old and you've never personally sealed anything on it you should remove and rebed ALL fittings. A little silicon never hurt anyone :p

If your boat is more than 5 years old and you've never personally sealed anything on it you should remove and rebed ALL fittings. A little silicon never hurt anyone :p

okay! i shall do that, the boat's into its 3rd season with me and was resealed before i bought it... here's a silly question, should i let the silicon "skin" before i take the boat out sailing or should i just reseal after sailing so its got time to cure?

Make sure whatever you seal is dry and clean of old sealant residue before you seal it and is 100% cured before you get the area wet again.

If you want to be sneaky, take the little knob off and push it down a little bit more. It's great on light air days.

I never do this intentionally, but my stopper ends up falling off on its own and will never stay back on. I could fix it, but I don't think I will.

If you want to be sneaky, take the little knob off and push it down a little bit more. It's great on light air days.

I never do this intentionally, but my stopper ends up falling off on its own and will never stay back on. I could fix it, but I don't think I will.

WOW, hows that for sportsmanship.:eek:

Gee, Leland, subtle. Good thing you kept that to yourself instead of putting it out there on a forum with thousands of members, some of whom you sail against. :rolleyes:

Personally on a light wind day I don't want more board down. As long as the boat is not making more leeway than the 'normal' depth is just fine. Any more just gives more drag which for the given additional lift gained evens it out.

I would say concentrating on boat trim, balance and keeping the sail pulling will have a much greater effect.

Honestly? Get real man.

Gee, Leland, subtle. Good thing you kept that to yourself instead of putting it out there on a forum with thousands of members, some of whom you sail against. :rolleyes:

I was scared shitless when I saw my first name. Then I realised it was a "required field." That's creepy. The internets are supposed to be anonymous.

It's no advantage other than having your board not pop up annoying as much. Maybe a bit more of a squirt forward out of a roll tack, assuming everything else is perfect. Is everything else in my roll tack good enough to where I'm thinking: "Shit, I better get that board that extra inch down so I can get some extra juice out of my flatten." No.

A good advantage for me would be to have great roll tacks on a consistent basis.

Personally on a light wind day I don't want more board down. As long as the boat is not making more leeway than the 'normal' depth is just fine. Any more just gives more drag which for the given additional lift gained evens it out.

I would say concentrating on boat trim, balance and keeping the sail pulling will have a much greater effect.

It's not about the depth, drag, etc. It's about having the board stay down. If you don't have any problems with this, you're lucky.

Specifically during/coming out of tacks.

Honestly? Get real man.

I was scared shitless when I saw my first name. Then I realised it was a "required field." That's creepy. The internets are supposed to be anonymous.

It's no advantage other than having your board not pop up annoying as much. Maybe a bit more of a squirt forward out of a roll tack, assuming everything else is perfect. Is everything else in my roll tack good enough to where I'm thinking: "Shit, I better get that board that extra inch down so I can get some extra juice out of my flatten." No.

A good advantage for me would be to have great roll tacks on a consistent basis.

It's not about the depth, drag, etc. It's about having the board stay down. If you don't have any problems with this, you're lucky.

Specifically during/coming out of tacks.

I hate to say this, but this is a typical JR/younger competitive sailor response.

I know others have said, "Take them under your wing, give them sound advise, they'll learn and be better for it."

They have to WANT to hear the opinions of their elders first..........

Where can I find a replacement brake and approximately how much $? I am have a problem keeping my board in the raised position. thanks.

Just get a new/tighter shock cord. This should solve it.

Try one of the advertisers/sponsors of this forum.

Just get a new/tighter shock cord. I can't be 100% sure, not seeing the condition of your brake, but I can imagine this might do the trick. A new "certified Laser" brake will cost way more than it should. It may not break the bank, but it will be way more than it should be, like every other Laser part.

If your brake is in terrible condition, well, then you might have to replace it.

I hate to say this, but this is a typical JR/younger competitive sailor response.

I know others have said, "Take them under your wing, give them sound advise, they'll learn and be better for it."

Are you saying this because I commented on the guy questioning my sportsmanship? If so, then I guess that's just something I'll have to live with. *Cries*

I don't advocate cheating. (Wait, I guess I kind of do, with my dirty daggerboard tactics)

I spin if I hit marks, even if no one sees.

Do I work my boat extra hard down wind if there are no jury boats around? You bet. Would I get flagged? I'm not sure, but I'm not going to risk it around a jury boat.

Do I think we need jury boats in Laser racing? No.

Are you really going to whine about me being a disrespectful "younger" sailor because I commented on someone questioning my sportsmanship and integrity?

I hope all of you are the perfect examples of a sportsmanlike yachtsman.

But, then again, you must be.

Just get a new/tighter shock cord. This should solve it.

Just get a new/tighter shock cord. I can't be 100% sure, not seeing the condition of your brake, but I can imagine this might do the trick. A new "certified Laser" brake will cost way more than it should. It may not break the bank, but it will be way more than it should be, like every other Laser part.

If your brake is in terrible condition, well, then you might have to replace it.

Are you saying this because I commented on the guy questioning my sportsmanship? If so, then I guess that's just something I'll have to live with. *Cries*

I don't advocate cheating. (Wait, I guess I kind of do, with my dirty daggerboard tactics)

I spin if I hit marks, even if no one sees.

Do I work my boat extra hard down wind if there are no jury boats around? You bet. Would I get flagged? I'm not sure, but I'm not going to risk it around a jury boat.

Do I think we need jury boats in Laser racing? No.

Are you really going to whine about me being a disrespectful "younger" sailor because I commented on someone questioning my sportsmanship and integrity?

I hope all of you are the perfect examples of a sportsmanlike yachtsman.

But, then again, you must be.

Thank you for validating my post.

Where can I find a replacement brake and approximately how much $? I am have a problem keeping my board in the raised position. thanks.

Try one of the advertisers/sponsors of this forum.

Thank you for validating my post.

I'm still not sure where this is stemming from. Could you please enlighten me?

I'm not going to sit here and look at some guy say:

He doesn't know me, you don't know me, so why are you both making assumptions on my character and sportsmanship?

No, I don't really want to hear the opinions of my elders first. Not regarding racing Lasers, anyway.

You're quite welcome for validating your post, however so I did it.

No, I don't really want to hear the opinions of my elders first. Not regarding racing Lasers, anyway.

Well Sir this is your loss. I'm sure you're quite aware that there are many, many Laser sailors out there that have been doing it much longer and better than you. Of course you may be the next prodigy when it comes to racing lasers. If that's the case then congratulations. If not, then to sit there and make the kind of statement as above is a clear indication of where you head is. What does that smell like anyway?

In a previous post you admited to several levels of cheating. It's ok to "lose" your board stopper, or to break rule 42 when the judges are not around. However, you draw a line at hitting a mark when no one is looking. What else is ok? Fudging your way into an inside overlap, tapping a guy due to a bad duck on port, but keep going because he did not yell protest? Wetsanding a new hull?

While I may not like rule 42 it's still a rule just like all the others. For you to sit here and basically brag about cheating and then get your panties in a wad when others, (who happen to be older and MORE EXPERIENCED) tell you it's B.S. puts you in a catagory of individuals that most prefer not to associate with.

I don't want to hear, "Everyone else does it!" If they all stripped naked and lit their genitals on fire would you be next in line?

There's more to this game than beating the next guy at all costs. There are legends out there that would read your comments and shake their heads. However, to you this should make no difference as the opinions of elders don't matter, (when it comes to Lasers) because they don't know what they are talking about and years or Star, or Americas Cup, or J/24 racing do not, in any way, relate to sailing Lasers.

Well Sir this is your loss. I'm sure you're quite aware that there are many, many Laser sailors out there that have been doing it much longer and better than you.I realise this. I wouldn't tell Scheidt or Ainslie they were wrong. Laser racing has changed over the years. Have the fundamentals of sailing changed? No. Have the specifics of Laser racing changed? Yup Of course you may be the next prodigy when it comes to racing lasers.Nope. I've reached the end of my road, for now. Real life has kicked in If that's the case then congratulations. If not, then to sit there and make the kind of statement as above is a clear indication of where you head is. What does that smell like anyway? Roses, of course.

In a previous post you admited to several levels of cheating. It's ok to "lose" your board stopper To be honest, it was breezing, and yeah, it popped off. One piece went in the water, one is still in my lifey., or to break rule 42 when the judges are not around. I said I may work my boat harder, when the judges aren't around. Maybe I'm not doing anything illegal, but I'm not going tot ake that chance with a jury boat 75 feet behind me. However, you draw a line at hitting a mark when no one is looking. What else is ok? Fudging your way into an inside overlap, Nope. Overlap can be a close call sometime, but I'm not going to get crazy. tapping a guy due to a bad duck on port, but keep going because he did not yell protest? Nah, if you hit someone, no one should have to say anything. You spin. If I didn't spin, I'd expect to be protested. I been fouled and let it slide. It's not worth the effort, both on the course and in the protest room. On the water, I'll focus on my race and off the water, there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm going to be spending hours on a protest unless it's absolutely warranted Wetsanding a new hull? If it's got a shitty finish or some bad spots? Sure. When is a hull no longer considered new and is able to be wet sanded?

While I may not like rule 42 it's still a rule just like all the others. For you to sit here and basically brag about cheating Still with the daggerboard thing? and then get your panties Boxers in a wad when others, (who happen to be older and MORE EXPERIENCED) tell you it's B.S. puts you in a catagory of individuals that most prefer not to associate with. Again, if you actually knew me, I'm sure you find this is not the case.

I don't want to hear, "Everyone else does it!" If they all stripped naked and lit their genitals on fire would you be next in line?

There's more to this game than beating the next guy at all costs. There are legends out there that would read your comments and shake their heads. However, to you this should make no difference as the opinions of elders don't matter, I can see we are thinking about two different connoatations of the word "elders" (when it comes to Lasers) because they don't know what they are talking about and years or Star, or Americas Cup, or J/24 racing do not, in any way, relate to sailing Lasers.

I have tried to adjust the rear cboard 'brake' rubber but have never been able to get it to do anything useful in controlling the board height or eliminating wear. frankly the best solution seems to be durable 'gaffer tape' on the front forward edge of the trunk (now class legal) and a bungee to the bow fairlead. Tension on the bungee needs to be adjusted so yo don't struggle against it to raise and lower the board, and perhaps more importantly don'y wear the trailing edge of the board and bottom rear centerecase over time.

With most bungee coards (shockcords) on the market they seem to work best if only moderately loaded (within an elastic/nonelastic) limit so maximum length properly adjusted seems to be best (i.e. center board to mast is convenient but such a short piece of cord seems hyper critical in adjustment, unreliable and doesn't last long. Centre board to bow fairlead may need a re-direction loop at the downhaul fairlead (deck block plate on new systems0 to clear the vang bottom block but this is class legal and easy to install with simple line.

Suggest a nylon attachment clip on the shockcord to a lanyard loop through the front end of the centreboard - saves nasty recoil incidents involving eye trauma if you slip detatching it when landing. If you use a re-direction loop at close behind the mast ay the downhaul fairlead/block base it remains readilly accessible during launching too. only drawback with this setup is you need to clip the shockcoard onto the vang for stowage when unrigging - but the wet shockcoard doesen't go in the foil bag so maybe this is a plus.

Back