Dagger Board Rising

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by mmm1387, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mmm1387

mmm1387 New Member

When saling upwind on my '07 Laser the Daggerboard will not stay down. Down I need to shime the daggerboard trunk? If so, how?

2. mjbhawg

mjbhawg Member

Check your daggerboard break, the black rubber thingy just aft of dagger. And do you
    use a bungie for the dagger.

3. gordo

gordo New Member

play around with the bungie tension. its probably that it is not tight enoufgh. though if it is too tight it can also pull it up slightly. so tie some knots in the bungie while your on the water untill you have it at a length that you like

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

It's the rubber "brake" that needs to be adjusted forward.

5. mmm1387

mmm1387 New Member

the brake on the daggerboard or the one on the front of the daggerboard trunk?
    Thanks

6. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

The black rubber wedge by the mainsheet block.

7. mmm1387

mmm1387 New Member

go it - thanks
    so i am going to move the wedge closer to the daggerboard to create more tension...correct?

8. mjbhawg

mjbhawg Member

Thats right..

9. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

You got it Toyota!

10. clouser_minnow

clouser_minnow New Member

hello everyone, i've got this problem... having moved the plate forward, assuming there is a silicon seal, would this have to be re-done?

11. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

If your boat is more than 5 years old and you've never personally sealed anything on it you should remove and rebed ALL fittings. A little silicon never hurt anyone :p

12. clouser_minnow

clouser_minnow New Member

okay! i shall do that, the boat's into its 3rd season with me and was resealed before i bought it... here's a silly question, should i let the silicon "skin" before i take the boat out sailing or should i just reseal after sailing so its got time to cure?

13. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Make sure whatever you seal is dry and clean of old sealant residue before you seal it and is 100% cured before you get the area wet again.

14. Kratos

Kratos Member

If you want to be sneaky, take the little knob off and push it down a little bit more. It's great on light air days.

I never do this intentionally, but my stopper ends up falling off on its own and will never stay back on. I could fix it, but I don't think I will.

15. garrett818

garrett818 New Member

WOW, hows that for sportsmanship.:eek:

16. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Gee, Leland, subtle. Good thing you kept that to yourself instead of putting it out there on a forum with thousands of members, some of whom you sail against. :rolleyes:

17. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Personally on a light wind day I don't want more board down. As long as the boat is not making more leeway than the 'normal' depth is just fine. Any more just gives more drag which for the given additional lift gained evens it out.

I would say concentrating on boat trim, balance and keeping the sail pulling will have a much greater effect.

18. Kratos

Kratos Member

Honestly? Get real man.

I was scared shitless when I saw my first name. Then I realised it was a "required field." That's creepy. The internets are supposed to be anonymous.

It's no advantage other than having your board not pop up annoying as much. Maybe a bit more of a squirt forward out of a roll tack, assuming everything else is perfect. Is everything else in my roll tack good enough to where I'm thinking: "Shit, I better get that board that extra inch down so I can get some extra juice out of my flatten." No.

A good advantage for me would be to have great roll tacks on a consistent basis.

It's not about the depth, drag, etc. It's about having the board stay down. If you don't have any problems with this, you're lucky.

Specifically during/coming out of tacks.

19. danburke

danburke New Member

Where can I find a replacement brake and approximately how much $? I am have a problem keeping my board in the raised position. thanks.

20. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Try one of the advertisers/sponsors of this forum.