Could it be a leaking drainplug?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by barts1971, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

I completely dried the hull and then I filled the cockpit with water and the opened the cock bailer and emptied the water out of the cockpit I then opened my inspection port and about 1/2 3/4 of the. Water was in the hull.

2. oztayls

oztayls Member

You should be able to buy the brass fitting from a plumbing store.

3. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

Would I have to buy something that looked exactly like the laser brass bushing or could I just get a brass pipe the same diameter and length and silicone it in place. Would that work?

4. oztayls

oztayls Member

It would be a temporary fix. Why not just order the correct brass fitting with bushing and nut and install it so that the issue is sorted properly? I just did a search and found a few suppliers in your part of the world who would ship it for free.

5. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

I have a website where I can order the part from but I'm bring my boat home for storage and repairs during the winter so I might try get a brass pipe and fit it temporarily to se if this will fix the problem and then order the proper bushing online. Does anybody know the length and diameter of the fitting so I can get it at my hardware store.

6. todd bleifuss

todd bleifuss New Member

I used a piece of tubing about 3 cm long or so....its raining or I'd go measure it better ... mushroomed out a bit on the cockpit side for the stopper- if you look you can see the length you need. Not that important provided you can work the bailer plunger and it is sufficiently flush to not hinder draining. Outside diameter needs to match the hole, I used some duct tape to ensure it was snug and sealed it well. Inside diameter needs to accept the stopper securely or pick up one that it does.

Did I mention I'm not a professional?

7. todd bleifuss

todd bleifuss New Member

ps the other reason for the mushrooming was to ensure a snug fit without pushing the tube through

8. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

Ok thanks i will try this and see how I get on.

9. Bungo Pete

Bungo Pete Member

As far as I know, plastic ones have not been made in a long time. I would contact John Malony at APS Ltd. as he should know where you can find one. The last one I bought was from them and the part # was V30301. Good luck.

10. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

Is there any other area on a laser were it could take on 2 gallons of water in 3 hours of sailing.

11. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Unlikely unless you had a major split of the hull/deck join. I would definitely suspect this fitting. Purple Marine or Northampton Sailboats (both UK based) should have them in stock and should deliver to you if you cannot get one locally.

I would also go round and do a general re-seal of all the hull fittings but do not block the small hole under the front of the toe strap, this is a breather hole for the hull.

12. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

Any pictures of a breather hole at the toe strap can't see any on mine

13. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

self bailer hole and the gunnels

Attached Files:

14. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

My boat also seems to weigh a small amount now than the other lasers at my club. Does anybody know the reason for this and how to make my laser lighter